| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel as the band's only lead instrument
Doug Jones

Oregon & Florida
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2004 2:35 pm    

For the last several months when we play smaller venues I end up as the only lead instrument in the band. We have bass, drums, lady singer and just me. Otherwise, we hire a guitarist, but it seems I end up carrying the whole lead section. I don't mind the extra $$$, but I do get tired of playing rhythm steel, padding, filling, etc.all the time. How many of you players play with just bass and drums and how do you feel about it?
Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2004 2:39 pm    

Been there,done that HATE it!!

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.
www.ntsga.com

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2004 3:40 pm    

I have the best of both worlds - drums, bass and Piano/harp but no lead guitarist to compete with - just really cool !
Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2004 4:27 pm    

I've been doing this for years with our group "3 Wheel Drive". I never have to fight with the lead picker over tuning!! It is a lot of work, but I don't mind. I also sing a few tunes, as well as harmony on most songs. Keeps me busy.

------------------
Billy Easton
Casa Grande, AZ
Southwestern Steel Guitar Association

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2004 4:38 pm    

I like it!
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2004 4:46 pm    

I saw Julian Tharpe play in a disco/rock band in the 70s. Just him and a bass player and a drummer--amazing!!
No problem for a good steel player to really shine in a trio situation. You will be a better player for it.
Roger Edgington

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2004 5:38 pm    

Did it for years. I enjoy it as long as there is a strong singer, bass and drums. I would rather do it that way than fight another weak or out of tune lead player. It pushes you to be creative so the songs don't all sound the same. A wide variety of material also helps. But right now, I'm enjoying a full band with parts worked out.
Ed Altrichter

Schroeder, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2004 5:50 pm    

What, no fiddle ?????
Tim Rowley

Pinconning, MI, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2004 6:17 pm    

I have a "classic country" gig every Sunday evening where I play steel as the only lead instrument. Like Doug says, you've gotta have something going almost all the time; rhythm, padding, fills, licks, intros, turnarounds, solos. After all, it's all dance music and this group plays a lot of requests. Yes, it's hard tiring work and I could see where the listeners could get tired of hearing so much steel. But they don't seem to grow weary of it at all. As a matter of fact, several people have told me that they travelled a long distance just to hear what we're doing and to dance. We get a lot of compliments from the crowd. Other area musicians constantly drop by to sit in with us and that's a BIG compliment.

Since this job allows me some freedom to experiment while I play, I feel like it helps me with my chops and my tone too. A lot of the tunes we play have the standard "cliche" licks that need to be played, but I try to keep from sounding too trite. I'm finding ways to change things around a bit to keep it interesting and still stay within the required framework of the song. It's a challenge but I've got a good-sounding guitar and the drummer follows me real well with little pushes and kicks. We stay alert to one another and are able to get a fairly "big" sound. The club owner is a young guy, he is behind us 100% and does a good job of advertising on our behalf. Nobody's complaining. Actually we have a lot of fun this way. It makes the hard work worthwhile.

Tim Rowley
Rich Weiss

Woodland Hills, CA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2004 6:25 pm    

I think it helps to be able to break up the sound, using effects, so that it doesn't sound like pedal steel on each song. Using chorus, and rotary and distortion, etc, can be effective to add sonic variety to different songs.
Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2004 7:03 pm    

I played a lot of jobs as the only lead instrument with just Bass and Drums.

Sometimes as a duo with just Bass.We all did a lot of singing too.

I had a Pe jr for the organ effect to switch the sound once in a while.

Sometimes ,It was nice not to buck some of those overplaying lead Guitar players....al

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

Robert Thomas

Mehama, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2004 4:09 am    

All my years of playing, starting in 1950 into the 80's, I was the lead player on steel, with drums, bass and singer playing rythum guitar. It was a lot of work, but I learned a lot and had a lot of fun not having to compete. It made it very easy to learn songs and where we were going with any given song. We developed a sense of knowing where each person was going and knew we could depend on their doing what they were supposed to do.
Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2004 4:34 am    

I really don't mind doing that if I have a Unversal S-12 to do it with, seems like its much easier with the 12 string with all the extra rhythm thangs you can do with it without switching to another neck. I had a group back in the 80's with just bass guitar, drums & steel - must admit I learned a bunch playing like that. But I would rather play with a lead guitar or keyboard player to tell the truth. I am doing a church group with just 2 rhythm guitar players right now, its a lot of fun, but it keeps ya on yer toes, thats for sure.

Ernie Pollock

------------------
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2004 6:18 am    

Years ago, it would have been a strong rhythm guitar, soft bass, steel. Vocalist would not appear unless playing an instrument
which usually was the rhythm guitar.
I still find it difficult in my old age to understand why LEAD drums have been installed inplace of the chord-playing and music enhancing guitar and then using a guy with a $4,000 steel to slap rhythm all night.
It's amazing what progress has been made during these years since the 1980's. I wouldn't play that gig!

[This message was edited by Ray Montee on 06 April 2004 at 07:20 AM.]

Sonny Priddy

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2004 7:53 am    

I Played At A Place A Few Weeks Ago And The Lead Man Was Out And I Had To Do It All. I Realy Don't Like To Do That. SONNY.

------------------
Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2004 7:56 am    

It's one of my favorite things to do.

I like the challenge.
Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2004 8:52 am    

Personally I like thechallenge, it's also good practice, although it really makes you tired to be "on the spot" all night.

I also can understand the audience, sometimes they seem to get a little bored if only one instrument is doing all lead parts and lots of rhythm...

Kind Regards, Walter
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf

------------------
Joerg Hennig

Bavaria, Germany
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2004 11:04 am    

I am doing just that right now and while it sounds OK on some tunes, on others it gets boring after a while, it would be so much nicer to have another lead instrument to share solos and fills with. We have several tunes that call for that twang that only a Tele can deliver... After all, what really counts is the sound of the band as a whole. We have been looking for a competent lead guitarist for some time now but it´s not easy, especially in this part of the world, to find someone who fits in with what we are doing (imagine a cross between Waylon and David Nelson and a little bit of James Burton for good measure) and also personality-wise, you know, someone who doesn´t just let his ego hang out and overplays all the time, I guess this has been discussed here before. Most sixstringers around here are either pure rock players who put distortion on everything, or super technical country players, which we are not.
Well, I just heard a guy has called who wants to audition at tomorrow´s rehearsal...

Regards, Joe H.
Emmett Roch

Texas Hill Country
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2004 11:51 am    

I've had to do it, don't really care for it. But I've heard it done by Ricky Davis and Rick Price and it was pretty dang nice to listen to.
David Spires

Millersport, OH
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2004 11:52 am    

I enjoy being the only lead instrument too... I have worked several duo / trio things, and it really forces you to be creative when you are the only lead instrument. It's a challenge, and it even forces you to put the bar down every once in a while! It's all about contrast. I find that I go through a lot more tones and "sounds" in that kind of gig too - chorus / overdrive / distortion / dobro-sound / wet and pad-like / twangy & telecaster-like, etc.

Or, maybe I just love listening to myself?!

(I am kidding.)

I'll also agree that it makes the job more tiring, and gives you less time to look for attractive, female members of the audience.

David Spires
Darrell Klein

Spokane, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2004 1:35 pm    

When I was younger, I played steel with just a rythmn player. I started out with nothing and I still have most of it!!!!!!!!!
Things are probably more like they are right
now, than they have ever been. I worked hard and finally got my head together,now
my body is falling apart. Regards, Darrell
Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2004 2:11 pm    

If the rhythm section is good, it can be fun.
As far as the audience is concerned?

I've suffered for MY music, so now it's THEIR turn.
frank rogers

usa
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2004 2:25 pm    

Rick, right on target! But, as you know, that can be a BIG if.
Kenny Yates

Hattiesburg Mississippi
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2004 3:31 pm    

Did that many a time....it's the only way to fly, and you don't have anyone else to blame.
Joe Miraglia

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2004 5:28 pm    

Having it all your self is fun ,always having to think and play,it's work, I've been there . You do learn a lot.But it's just as hard to play and just as much fun with other leads insturments.Knowing when to play and not to play.tean work and not trying to be a one man band.I work with a 6 pcs. band, Lead guitar and keys. If I over played like some players I woudn't be with the band very long. As it is I've been with them for 3 years. And the band is picking more songs that use more steel on them...We all get our turn to play. And you know it's a good feeling when someone says--I want to hear more Steel Guitar--And the lead singer Says --take it away Joe . Joe