| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Newbie comin' onboard!
Scotty Wenzel

Lawrence, KS
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2004 4:20 am    

Hello all you fine steelers,

As a young guy in the early seventies I played pedal steel for several years and for some stupid reason I got out of it. I joined the forum here and have bought a new S-10/E9 (3&4) guitar and am attempting to bring some of this stuff back from brain cells long since dormant. It's kinda like riding a bike. I can still play some basic stuff, but have forgotten a lot. I have ordered some of the Buddy Emmons tapes & tab from here on the site, but I would like to find a comprehensive beginners book so that I can refresh myself on the basics. I don't want to fall into bad habits, so I figure I should pretend I'm really just starting over and do it right. I am a semi-pro musician and have been playing electric guitars, keyboards, bass, trumpet and other stuff for 30 + years, so I do have a solid background in theory. Any suggestions are very much appreciated. I would prefer to find something with a CD/DVD/book combo (I like the visual approach). What about the old basic Mel Bay book(s)?

Anyway, many thanks for any and all input!! I should also add that I have spent quite a bit of time lurkin' around the site before joining, and I am totally impressed with playing level of you guys (& girls). The links to MP3's, etc are very cool.....

All the best,

Scotty
Steve Hitsman

Waterloo, IL
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2004 5:42 am    

Scotty,

Your story sounds like mine... got into back in the hippie-tonk days, got out of it (and into bird dogs) and returned about 5 years ago.

Get the Winnie Winston book.

Steve
Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2004 7:02 am    

Yes, the Winie Winston book is perfect, because it not only gives technical advise how to play etc, it also gets you into the philosophy of the instrument and deals with all aspects of the Steel Guitar, like what to consider when buying a guitar, the tricks of practicing, when to play and when not to play and things like that. I still refer to it as the "Bible Of The Steel Guitar".

Kind Regards, Walter
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf

------------------
Dale Bessant

Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2004 7:21 am    

Welcome Scotty, to this Forum of endless knowledge...so much to learn, so little time...
Curt Shoemaker

Ionia, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2004 7:28 am    

HI Scotty, Welcome onboard! Give Scotty's music a call in St.Louis.They can give you alot of help.(It will be like one Scotty to another.)
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2004 7:33 am    

Winnie Winston's book says it all.

carl
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2004 8:24 am    

Welcome Scotty, and another vote for Winnie's book.
Scotty Wenzel

Lawrence, KS
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2004 8:38 am    

Thanks guys! Winnie Winston's book it is. Curt, interestingly Scotty's in St. Louis is where I just bought my new axe and chatted with the "man", one Scotty to another....

Scotty