Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Being a Christian By Darrell(Larry) Klein
Darrell Klein

Spokane, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2004 1:45 pm    

I just returned from Honolulu, Hawaii where
I had the thrill of talking with Jerry Byrd,
one of my teen idols. Much later in life I found out by giving my heart to The Lord, Jesus Christ, idols were a no no. When I
mentioned to Jerry, that I had a Gospel group, which includes my wife, he told me,
"GOD HAS GIVEN ME A LONG LIFE IN WHICH TO PLAY MUSIC, AND ALSO BELIEVE SHOWED ME THE
WAY AT EVERY TURN. Jerry is 84. Seeing Jerry and talking with him, and taking some
photos,etc., was a highlight of our trip to
Hawaii. But the most thrilling part of my
71 years, was when I gave my life to the Lord, Jesus Christ. Back in the late seventies and early eighties, I owned a 325
seat nightclub. Played a 1975 Sho-Bud Dbl.Pro 11 with
10,8&4. When I think of what happened to me
as a result of buying that Club, I'm so glad that I know who Jesus is!!!!!! I lost
my oldest son as one of the things that is
hard for me to forget, because of the life style that we were living. I now have a new Zum Steel, the same color as Tommy Dodd's in fact they are identical with the exception that I have a gold dove in the
center. I still have my Sho-Bud, but these
things I will leave behind for someone else
when I pass on. I took a vow years ago that I would not play in the clubs and bars, and
had no reason to go into them unless to do what one of the Lords commandments said,
go and make deciples of everyone. That is my desire, to Lift up Jesus Christ before men, and he hasn't given me many chances to
go into the bars and clubs. "If I Be Lifted
Up, I Will Draw All Men Unto Me"!!!!
The words of the Master. dMay God bless you
all. Darrell(Larry) Klein

LARRY COLE

LANCASTER, OHIO, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2004 1:58 pm    

AMEN!

------------------
Playing For JESUS,LC. WILLIAMS U12,SHO-BUD PRO1,CARVIN TL60,GIBSON LES PAUL CUSTOM,YAMAHA L-10A ACOUSTIC,ROLAND JW-50 KEYBOARD,G&L AND BC RICH BASS'S

Sidney Malone

Buna, TX
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2004 2:03 pm    

Great post Darrell!!! Amen, again!!

------------------
Fessy S-12U, Future MSA Millennium S-12U, Stereo Steel

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2004 2:40 pm    

Amen & Amen!!!
Erv
Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2004 3:20 pm    

Darrell, I think it is great to have the blessing of being a Pedal Steel Guitarist. And, in my honest opinion, it is more of a blessing to be a Christian.
It is nice how the 2 have gone hand in hand in my career!
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2004 5:32 pm    

Oh yeah! Reggie you are so right.
Jerry
Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2004 5:54 pm    

Nice testimony of God's faithfulness!!
Lloyd Karenke

Eagle River, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2004 6:43 pm    

AMEN!
Jack Klein

Alpena, MI, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2004 7:34 pm    

Good words, Larry. my sentiments exactly. are we cousins? Jack
jim milewski

stowe, vermont
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2004 11:09 pm    

a wonderful post, thanks for the testimony to Gods grace, almost like listening to the Christian radio drama "Unshackled", like an old brother once told me, "Jim, you don't know Jesus is all you need until Jesus is all you got"
Savell

Slocomb, AL
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2004 6:03 am    

Darrell,

Thanks for the post. It lifts our spirits to read a brother's witness.

May God bless you and yours,
Savell
Bob Storti

Matthews, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2004 7:32 am    

Amen Larry. All praise to our Lord, who gave us all the gift of music. May we always use this gift to honor his name.

Bob
Russ Hicks

Pegram, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2004 9:03 am    

Boundless Love, Unending Joy, This is my life, it's all I know. I'm so amazed that He selected me, Jesus my Lord it's You I owe.
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2004 12:15 pm    

And NOT ONE of us is worthy of His love and mercy! It's my prayer that ONE person will read this thread, and come to know Jesus as Lord and Savior!
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2004 2:35 pm    

Yes Indeed Stephen,

If JUST one person was led to Christ, it would have been worth all the scourging and crucifying pains Jesus endured for that one single soul. "For it is not my wish that anyone should perish". The angels rejoice over a single person accepting Jesus.

For there is no greater gift in the history of man than Salvation. Because it is eternal life forever. The soul of NO human being EVER dies.

Man will either spend it in paradise or eternal torment. There is NO third choice. Jesus said, "you are either for me or you are against me." He left NO middle ground.

He also said, "IF you deny me before men, I will deny you before the father."

Thank you kind sir for generating this post. You are a courageous person; for to mention Jesus today is considered politically incorrect in many places in this once Christian, God fearing nation. Sooo sad.

May HE bring you joy all the days of your life,

carl
Gordon Black

burns,oregon,usa
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2004 3:47 pm    

Amen... You go, brother!
Walter Hamlin

Talladega, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2004 7:10 pm    

I just could not stand not adding my 2cents to this post. I must say AMEN and AMEN to the originator and everyone else who has added a comment. I love a post like this.
Walter
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2004 9:06 pm    

JESUS is THE ANSWER for the world today. Always was and always will be, THE ANSWER!

GOD bless you all!

Terry J. Wood
Mark 10:27
Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2004 12:22 pm    

God Bless you Darrell. I also beleive God gives us the abillity and talent to play
a musical instrument, and we should Honer Him by playing music that lifts up His name.
Terry
LARRY COLE

LANCASTER, OHIO, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2004 12:29 pm    

AMEN Terry and Terry.

------------------
Playing For JESUS,LC. WILLIAMS U12,SHO-BUD PRO1,CARVIN TL60,GIBSON LES PAUL CUSTOM,YAMAHA L-10A ACOUSTIC,ROLAND JW-50 KEYBOARD,G&L AND BC RICH BASS'S

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2004 1:32 pm    

Darrell and all,

Please tell me it's okay to have idols but not in the sense that they become objects of worship. Otherwise, I'll have to restate my position on being a devoted HagFan.

------------------
HagFan

PS: Thanks for an uplifting thread.

[This message was edited by Ron Page on 12 March 2004 at 01:34 PM.]

Darrell Klein

Spokane, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2004 8:06 pm    

I just took a look at the responce on the Forum!! I'd like to say thankyou all for helping build my faith and committment to
Our Lord. Yes Don, I think its alright to have idols. After all I iodolized my mom
who lived to be 100 years and seven months.
But you all know that to Live is Christ and
to die is gain. May Jesus Christ be first
and foremost in each one of us. God Bless
Regards, Darrell
Skip Cole

North Mississippi
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2004 9:30 pm    

Thanks for the post Darrell and all the rest of my brothers, May God bless you all,
Skip

------------------
"I Can Only Imagine" Mercy Me

Jack Therrell

Conroe, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2004 5:52 am    

Seems like a good thread to give my testimony on. I was called into the ministry in 1950. I also had an urgency to play the steel.I purchased what I thought was the best steel available a blonde 2x8 fender with a very good amp and volume control.I was getting very involved in playing until the Lord laid on my heart the need for furthering my education. Well long story short going to school at night working some during the day and having a family something had to give. Only another obsessive steel player would understand my hesistancy when it became necessary to sell my steel. I stll had the yen to play but my call as a pastor came first. Now over 50 years later I am still pastoring and have took up the steel again but only as a hobby. My point. I so wanted as a young man to be like my then hero Don Helms because I so enjoyed his playing with Hank. But looking back I can truthfully say Without the Lord I would be one miserable person. Putting the lord first seems to cost as some see it but as a born-again believer I know it pays. Now if only i could play like Bobbe Seymour lol. If You are in God's family we are kin Jack

Austin A. Preston

Haines City, Florida USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2004 7:29 am    

Hi Darrel and the rest of you guys, I don't post very often, but I do tend to lurk a LOT. I just couldn't pass this one up with out giving my testimony. I have been playing steel since I was about sixteen and am now 42. I have played lead guitar and steel in some great places and then again some not so great places. Much of that time I was not in church but the Lord mercifully watched over me and about three years ago I went back to church and rededicated my life to God. My two children were baptized and filled with the Holy Ghost. My wife who is also in church has never been happier. We left the church that we had been attending and began to attend a United Pentecostal Church in Lakeland, Florida. They have a great music program and I was excited about eventually being a part of it. After a few weeks the pastor asked if I could help out by playing his Fender Strat during the Sunday service. I was only happy for the opportunity. They seemed to like it and I have continued to play the guitar alternating with the bass when it was needed. Last week I was asked to play steel but replied that I needed a little more time to adjust to the style of music at that church. Thursday night the pastors wife asked me if I would play steel during the next Sunday service so I said I would. As I said before, I have been fortunate to play in a lot of places, but I don't think I have ever been as nervous as I was about this. I prayed for the Lords help before the service and began to relax. When we started, the power of God began to move and the mucic was explosive.(not just me but ALL of the music) The Service was AWESOME! Some of my greatest blessings have come behind my Emmons and yesterday is an experience I won't soon forget. The church was very happy for the addition of the steel and loved the "Southern" sound that it adds to their worship. I think my steel has found a home for good. I want to always use the talents God has blessed me with to praise Him and to encourage others to do the same.

------------------
Emmons S12, Peavey Nashville 400, Talent: Jesus Christ www.geocities.com/rt_hawker

[This message was edited by Austin A. Preston on 15 March 2004 at 07:31 AM.]