| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lets face it-"STEEL" Guitar is losing ground. !!
Ed Naylor

portsmouth.ohio usa, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2004 5:53 am    

In the 70's Sonny Curtis had a music store in Columbus. I spent many days there and on occassion would taks a "FEDESONIC" in and people had a chance to learn about Steels. Sonny was part of the "CLARK" guitar team. He also sold lots of Sho-Buds. My store is not that far from Columbus. I have presented several Steel shows in the Ohio area and know practically every Ohio picker.ED
Chuck McGill

An hour from Memphis and 2 from Nashville, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2004 5:57 am    

IN answer to the original post.

NOT IN MY HOUSE

[This message was edited by Chuck McGill on 21 January 2004 at 05:59 AM.]

Ed Naylor

Post  Posted 21 Jan 2004 7:43 am    

Yesterday I was talking to a superb Steel player and mentioned the post why Steels are declining. He said "IT'S BECAUSE STEELS ARE NOT A LEGITIMATE INSTRUMENT."He may have a point. The "MUSIC INDUSTRY" has not accepted Steel.They only consider Piano, Band instruments, etc. Try to find a piece of sheet music for a Steel or 5 String Banjo.The real question How do we get people into Steel???ED
John Fabian

Mesquite, Texas USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2004 8:52 am    

Quote:
The real question How do we get people into Steel???

Have them click here!

Or have them click here!

John Fabian
www.steelguitar.com
www.carterstarter.com
Ed Naylor

Post  Posted 21 Jan 2004 9:24 am    

I have often wondered what the response would be if a"Race Car" would have a "STEEL" painted on it instead of a "Beer or Cigarette" ad. At a Sunday Sporting event with 50,000 people attending, how many could even identify a Steel Guitar???ED
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2004 9:53 am    

I'm with John.
Steel is gaining ground!
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2004 11:01 am    

So how can we go further than just letting "whatever" happen? What can we do to pick up the momentum on the public becoming MORE aware, and thus bring in more into "entry level"? Think "group effort". I did my part---I'm entry level!! HA!!
Chuckie Acevedo

Fresno Ca
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2004 2:11 pm    

You tell em Howard, Id like to see
Britneys knees working those levers!!!!!

------------------
Chuckieboy
Sho-Bud Prolll
Fenders Deluxe6,CD8 C3,D10

Ed Naylor

Post  Posted 21 Jan 2004 2:58 pm    

There are only a few hundred "Steels" built a year.Most are bought by current players.I would guess half new buyers keep there old guitars. The guitars for sale are few. Considering the "Newbees" that can even find a guitar is limited. Remember Steeler numbers decrease by deaths and those that quit. My estimate is that no more than 500 players are added to the present number of players in a year. Ed
Joe Miraglia

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2004 6:59 pm    

What is this post all about? What I see is-- the people that are selling steels say the steel is alive, the ones that are having a hard time selling them say it's losing ground. The players that are working say all is OK,the ones that can't get a job say it's dead. The ones that don't like the new stuff say it's not like the olds days. Joe

[This message was edited by Joe Miraglia on 21 January 2004 at 07:03 PM.]

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2004 8:13 pm    

Excellent summary!
Ed Naylor

Post  Posted 22 Jan 2004 4:54 am    

Joe MIralgo-You are right to a degree. My real meaning was not "Economic" Although Steel production has dropped, The real loss is when a person that has played 40 years dies- a lot of history and knowledge goes also.A new player has a long road ahead to really get into "Steel". It goes back to the fact the general public is not Exposed to steel like the old days. That,s what I mean by 'Steel is Dying".ED
Joe Miraglia

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2004 7:06 am    

Ed Who is Joe Miralgo? History is never lost.Our super players Buddy, L.G. J Day etc. all where super players at a young age. Buddy E was well on his way down that road at 18. Give the younger players a shot at it and some will make it good. There are some young players out there that, some of us old timers can learn from. Randal Currie is one steeler player that is well on his way. Joe

[This message was edited by Joe Miraglia on 22 January 2004 at 07:36 AM.]

Ed Naylor

Post  Posted 22 Jan 2004 7:32 am    

Joe- Sorry for the spelling.There are many good new players out there. Again my point is-"How do we get the general public excited about Steel"????How many present players are willing to give FREE lessons to a kid?Will you go one night a week to a local church and work with kids or people interested in learning Steel? Could you get a chance to "Introduce" Steel at a local school??And on and on . ED
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2004 9:04 am    

I was recently talking about my playing a steel guitar with one of the "Elders" of our church, and he said when he was a child, some 45 years ago, he almost took up the steel guitar.

He said that about that period of time there were itinerate musicians who went from town to town signing up kids for Hawaiian guitar lessons, and also taking orders for a single neck Hawaiian guitar.

One of those entrepreneurs came to his little Oklahoma town, and after pleading with his parents, they signed him up for lessons and to buy one of the guitars.....but after he had signed up all the kids in town that he could (paid in advance of course) he disappeared with the funds and never returned to give lessons or deliver a steel guitar.

We can only guess how many steel guitar players are "missing" from todays roster because of such unlawful tactics.

www.genejones.com
Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2004 9:28 am    

I scrolled down thru the posts, so maybe this was touched on. In order for steel guitar not to die, all of us need to promote it. We have to push it into other facets of music, and quit p***ing and moaning about country music not needing it anymore. I never believed that steel guitar was a country only instument. Maybe Brittany does need to crawl behind one. It has to be one of the few instruments that seem to be pigeonholed into one kind of music. Pianos, guitars, horns, and so forth are not for just one genre. I try to do all I can to push the steel guitar. If there is a jam and I can make it, I go and plug in. We all need to step up push it. I will get off my soapbox now.

------------------
1985 Emmons push-pull,S-10 Marlin,Evans SE200,Hilton pedal

Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2004 10:00 am    

Craig,- I couldn't agree more, very well put.
You can bring your steel and soapbox to my party any time you like.

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

Neil Lang

Albert Lea, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2004 5:57 am    

Ed,
Yes, I can & will "FACE IT", but I sure as (BEEP), DON'T HAVE TO LIKE IT!!!

Neil
Bob Cox

Buckeye State
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2004 2:57 pm    

I think the best way to get people into steel is to have the steel police in Nashville require it on on new recordings so it can get out to everyone thru recording.
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2004 3:15 pm    

Listen & Learn
Harold Parris

Piedmont, Alabama USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2004 8:10 pm    

I may be biased but pedal steel guitar has the most beutiful sound of any instrument I have heard. Someone playing slip note style piano is my second preference. I heard a steel live about 33 years ago and then and there I decided that I would get myself one and learn to play it. I started out with a eight string Carvin and right away I started looking for a better instrument that would play and sound better. Needless to say, I'm still looking as most other steel pickers are. I think we are the most difficult people on earth to please with the sound we are getting or the guitar we are playing.
That is what make steel players stand out from most other musicians. Ed, I don't know exactly what to suggest other than having some good quality steel music softly playing in the background at your booth. The sound of the steel is so attracting, you should gain a few customers. The pedal steel is an instrument that requires more time, practice and getting your co-ordinations synchronized than any other instrument. This alone stops some would be players. The price of the entry level steel is probably a deterent also. The time and labor to build one and the supply and demand factor causes the steel to be more expensive. It is a challenge to comit to be a steel player for these reasons. I am a dyed in the wool traditional country music lover and really don't have much for todays country. That is only my opinion and I think the steel, as well as other instruments, can and should be adapted to any type of music the picker prefers. It is a complex, versatile, tranqualizing, expensive, challenging, and beautiful sounding instrument that not everyone can adapt to! I guess we will have to accept that. I noticed while I was at the Chattanooga Show a year or so back, about a half dozen teenage guys came in and sat behind me during Joe Wright's show and it was apparent they were amazed and pleased with his performance. The steel will live on as long as there is humanity. Every market seem to be at low tide at some point or another. Keep up your faith Ed and give some good deals to the younger group of shoppers. Things will come around.

------------------
Sierra Session and MSA Classic Guitars, Nashville 400, Session 400, and Evans FET 500 HiVolt, and Gretsch Nashville Pro Steel Amps, Keith Hilton Digital Sustain pedal and Digital Sustain Box .
Harold Parris email hparris9@aol.com

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2004 11:49 am    

"Put Britney Spears behind a steel, then you'll see just about every kid scrambling to get one."

Howard, that wouldn't work. She'd be sitting down so nobody could see that she was nekkid. Then she'd have to get by on her singing----You see what I'm saying????
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2004 11:59 am    

Would we finally get to see Madonna come up and kiss the steel player?