| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lets face it-"STEEL" Guitar is losing ground. !!
Ed Naylor

portsmouth.ohio usa, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 6:24 am    

Yesterday I set up at the Guitar Show in Columbus, Ohio. 150 dealers and around 4000 people attending.I only had a couple people stop and inquire about"Steels" other than several old customers. Other than a site with an Emmons Student model and scattered old 'Laps" I had the "STEEL ONLY" display. I have done this show for years and couldn,t believe People are STEEL unaware.Ed Naylor Steel Guitar Works
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 7:40 am    

Ed, have you changed your socks lately?
Ed Naylor

Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 9:20 am    

I have been on the phone today with some people that were at the show yesterday.The overall feeling is that the Music scene has really changed. Most people were looking for old "Amps" and "High Dollar" Gibson electrics.Even the "Whang and Bang" and "Heavy Metal" sound was not a big deal. I updated a "Newbie" from a MSA Red Baron I sold last year to a 3/4 with pad so some are moving on. I lucked out and bought 2 Jerry Byrd albums for $2 ea. ED
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 9:25 am    

I'll give you credit for being a competent promotor....but........
When we used to play around the state, in years gone by, our bandleader would deliver attractive, eye-catching posters to that distant community about two weeks in advance and arrange for various store owners to display them in their store windows, at the cashregister, etc. Now this was in addition to our weekly live radio show.
Now adays, if I get in the mood to want to go see who is doing what.......I litterally have to scrounge all over the place to find anything about c/western or whatever.
The largest guitar swap meet in this area
is an annual thing. I've missed it last year as I hadn't probed "classified ads" for weeks and weeks in advance.
About your show, I can't really comment but in this area, advertising and promotion seem to be ignored. The attitude seems to prevail that "we're big time" so come find us.
That's how I see a "local" situation from where I sit.

Ed Naylor

Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 9:46 am    

Ray- This show is promoted by Guitar Digest of Athens ,Ohio.There were dealers from several States. George Gruhn was there and many dealers. I have attended this bi-yearly show for years. Having been involved in Steel Guitars for 35 years I merely was coveying my assessment of the "Guitar Player" crowd and there buying attitudes. There were litterly no"Young" lookers which I found to be odd.The Economy is the problem I Think. Ed
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 10:37 am    

Hey Ed..Next time bring Buddy Emmons with ya and have him play a few tunes !

This will shake the tree.

We ain't dead..just a little quiet..behind the curtain, in the back room, in the building behind the storaqe facility, behind the old Buses that don't run anymore...

but we do have loud amps !
t
Franklin

Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 10:56 am    

Ed,

Tony beat me to the punch. I'll also bet RR or C. Campbell's playing would have change the instruments popularity.

Guitar shows are mostly about Rock and Blues.

Paul
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 10:59 am    

It'll swing back around, might not be the way we expect.

[This message was edited by James Morehead on 12 January 2004 at 12:01 PM.]

Russ Hicks

Pegram, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 11:28 am    

Hey Ed...not to worry....compare the ratio of steel guitar to six string guitar Labor Day week-end in St. Louis.
Ed Naylor

Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 11:29 am    

Franklin-Believe it or not the couple people that did look around were familiar with RR.For the people that "Really" know me, know my main interest is "Get into Steel Guitar" I could care less about Guitar Brands,Music type etc. Again my question is " How do we get people into Steel Guitar frame of mind"???. Ed
Tom Olson

Spokane, WA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 11:45 am    

How does that old saying go? Beware of what you really want -- you just might get it.

Do you really want the PSG to be as popular an instrument as, say, the six-string guitar? Then you wouldn't be one of a select, mysterious few -- you'd be one of the faceless mass.
Ed Naylor

Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 12:29 pm    

A couple days ago some kid was on a morning show with a UKE. He was a "Speed" picker and not Tiny Tim.Saturday a young man came in my store and had broken a "Key on his Uke.I drilled it out and fixed it and for the first time in his life he was close to a STEEL GUITAR. He was impressed but not sure he "COULD LEARN" it. Again-the first step is getting people to IDENTIFY A STEEL GUITAR. You know what I mean- That SITTIN'BANJO thing. ED
Bruce Clarke

Spain
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 12:38 pm    

Can it be done, and should we even try?
I realize I have as much chance of turning people on to steel guitar as they have of turning me on to, say, football. I have been listening to this theme since I was turned on to the instrument in the 1940s,(because I liked what I heard) and it goes nowhere. I admit to being a fanatic as far as the steel guitar is concerned, and fanatics are sometimes guilty of trying to make converts.
Jerry Brightman

Ohio
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 1:16 pm    

Well, Tony beat Paul, beating Russ, beating me...Let me assure you, It's not dying...It's just new area's of exposure taking place at different venues, that aren't usually based on solely steel guitar...but steel guitars are being represented...and by many killer players as Paul mentioned...

Jerry

http://www.slidestation.com
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 2:01 pm    

I kind of agree... I know guitars. Ther only thing many go to shows for is to find something old they can sit on for awhile and make a bundle. Many older musical instuments have stopped being music making tools and have become commodities manipulated by a priveleged few. I have yet to attend a steel guitar show however, and I'll bet a "steel only" show would be more in line with my feelings on musical instruments and thier proper use bob
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 2:01 pm    

Here you go Ray: http://www.positivelyentertainment.com/

The "Music on Tap" and "Bandstand" sections have a ton of info on the local "Scene".

Also, The Willamette Week Online: http://www.wweek.com/
The "Music" section has bands listed.
(hardcopy can be picked up at any music store).

And the Oregonian Entertainment Weekly (in fridays paper) has a "Country" catagory with the nightly goings on listed.
Here is there Music Online link: http://www.oregonlive.com/music/
David Cobb

Chanute, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 3:14 pm    

Since you like animals, take a couple of Golden Retriever puppies with you to keep around your booth.
Make sure the attendees can see them.
While you're at it, get a cute, outgoing young lady to assist you at the booth.
Make sure they can see her too.
It's all in the bait you use.
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 3:44 pm    

Best in show!

Theresa
Joe Miraglia

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 5:20 pm    

The way to turn people on to Steel Guitar is to let then hear it , And that would be ,you and you ,and you,and me. On the local level,join a band ,get going and play. I play in a band In the bars and clubs,and I'm 64. If you don't like the bars ,play in church,homes (older people like music). I play 4 or 5 times a month and many times someone will say to me -I've never seen a steel guitar before . Paul,Buddy,R.R and others are doing there part,But we can help right in our back yard , Steel guitar is a live everytime I play out.I'm not saying it sounds good with me playing but it's steel and they like it,young and older. Joe

[This message was edited by Joe Miraglia on 12 January 2004 at 05:41 PM.]

Ed Naylor

Post  Posted 13 Jan 2004 5:25 am    

David Cobb-At the show I had a big Pic of 5 little puppies each behind a Steel. These I had found and put this photo up at McDonalds.4 were adopted in 24 hrs. I also had a Photo of a CHIMP playing a Pedal Steel. Also a "BARKER" and"PURRLINE" string display with photos of animals I had rescued.Many stopped to look,but were more interested in animals than Steels. Ed
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2004 6:13 am    

I'm confused. Here we are talking about how we want to promote the steel more, and then we blast both Kid Rock for having one in his band, and Robert Randolph for taking the steel into new territory and introducing it to a new audience.

It seems to me that both Kid Rock and R.R are doing exactly what we say we want. They're just doing it in a different way, to a different group of people.
Ed Naylor

Post  Posted 13 Jan 2004 7:36 am    

Latest update- I just got a call from one of the young men at the show that was curious about "STEELS" He was aware of Robert Randolph. After going home he thought about it and wants to get started. He knows nothing about STEEL so I am starting him off with a "EL CHEAPO" lap so he can atleast learn about tunings, Frets, Bars etc. I guarantee within a year he he will be "Upgrading" to a Pedal job. Ed
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2004 9:19 am    

Mike I don't think it's so much of a "Confusing " issue . For me it's not confusing but rather a heads up on where it's heading and where it may end up. Maybe a tad of caution in the wind...

If the Steel ends up with Kid Rock wannabe's as a sideman Instrument and thats where it ends up..that to me is not a good thing..it's not a bad thing..but not necessarily a great thing...just a thing.

Having a Steel in his band alone does not imply, at least to me, that the Steel is reaching new heights.

RR is defintely showing a talent and a fresh direction,which should not be implied, at least to me, as the new direction for Steel Guitar.

Both of these artists who alhough are advancing the visibility and use of this Instrument should be considered "an addition" to whats already being done, not a replacement which everyone needs to run to.

Kid Rock is not doing anything new.He got lucky singing a song with Cheryl and if it wasn't for that 1 song and all the CMT airtime he was given he would still be considered the R Rated R+R guy that he is. I doubt anyone is gonna run to the Guitar Center anytime soon to buy a Steel because Kid Rock has one in his band..But they are buying Black Leather Jackets and Derby sort-of hats and getting tatooes..

Now RR.. thats a different thing..he will have an impact on a new player ( or old ).

If the so called new direction allows the great music that has been proven to assist in hit records for 40 years ,along with the great talents that are out there providing the intense musicianship to die on the vine ,then that would be unthinkable..make that unacceptable..

Although the presence of Steel appears to not be what it was maybe 20 years ago..it is still present with many of todays top recording and touring acts..The Steel is still on records and still on tour 50 years later..right along side the Telecaster...

Lets see where Kid Rock is in 50 years..or if anyone actually remembers his name..by the way , what is his name ?

RR.. has a nice carreer going but we'll have to see about it's longevity..he is a fine talent and his talent should prevail..

When we visit the music stores, we hear young guitar players playing one rapid lick over and and over and over through Marshall Stacks..they can play nothing else..this type of music is not longterm and requires no commitment..it's not timeless..They heard a lick on there favorite record and learned it..and life stopped...IF someone buys a Steel to learn a Kid Rock tune and thats where it ends..well..you get my point..

Things will turn around..they always do...

I'm not saying don't stretch into new modes ..but I am saying don't forget to water the roots..
t

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 13 January 2004 at 10:14 AM.]

Joe Miraglia

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2004 10:22 am    

Tony, Are you saying keep the steel counrty? I like country music and it needs steel.But most people on this plant don't care for country music. Now if it is played and used primarly in country music,then the rest of the plant's inhabiant will not hear it. If most steel players just play country,then just people that listen to country will know of the STEEL GUITAR,and the rest of the World will fail to hear and love our beloved instrument. Joe
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2004 11:34 am    

Joe not at all..Many people on the planet as you say don't like Country Music..but the problem with that is " Many do" .

And Country Music is still a driving force on the planet..and Steel Guitars are still a main portion of Country Music..has been for 50 years...

I know many who don't like Rock or Blues..or Jazz, or Classical..or Opera..

I guess what I am saying is, or trying to say is..don't run off trying to capture the current "whats happening now" and leave the roots behind in the dust..keep you old Golf Clubs..use the new ones..but maybe someday the old ones may just do the trick..

If the new players of todays era only play Kid Rock and RR songs my opinion is they will soon be playing another Instrument , the fad won't last...

I say play it all..and know what your Instrument is capable of..learn your Instrument and then play the music...

I don't play Classical but sure know who Segovia was..I don't play straight up Jazz but sure know who Joe Pass was...

Country Music has survived the decades and the Steel has survived right along with it, although some feel it is limping along.

I have transferred lots of my Tele' Blues licks over to the Steel..I play them ( try to that is) when the song is right...

In 1952 or so Leo built the Telecaster..in 2004 they are still builing it, not just the Telecaster..but the 52 Telecaster again..and again..and again...

Capture a new audience with new inovative playing..just don't forget about the old boring AB Pedal sweetness that can bring even the most thick headed fan to emotions..thats all I'm saying..

This Instrument has a great history..lets just be sure we don't erase the hard drive.

t