[This message was edited by Savell on 31 May 2005 at 01:14 PM.]

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2004 9:28 am    

Its too much.
Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2004 9:33 am    

It is way too much for a jam. We charge 20 bucks for both days. Course we only have one name player, but the other talent there is great too. I don't think the Iowa Jam is about the same pricewise as ours is here in Wis. or at least they are close. And I know they have two players. We have Jerry Brightman, and Lefty and the guys have Terry Bethel, and Theawfulest' alter ego, Joe Wright.
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2004 9:43 am    

At the Connecticut PSGA show the admission was $25 for Saturday afternoon, then ANOTHER $25 for Saturday evening.

Sunday would have been another admission, not sure how much because I didn't stay.

Since I was also paying for my wife's ticket, hotel, etc, I only attended the afternoon show.

By comparison, Scotty's price for 3 days of the best Steel Show is around $65.
Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2004 9:44 am    

Scotty's Convention is $60 for three days (paid in advance), so $75 sounds very high to me!

Walter
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf

------------------
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2004 9:54 am    

About the only way I'd EVER PAY $75.00 to see "anyone".......would be if Jerry Byrd flew me "free" to Hawaii and gave me seven days of "free" lessons. For having been selected for such a terrific event, I'd likely make payments for the rest of my life to Jerry, just to show my appreciation.
Scotty's great show still sounds like the best deal in town!
Lyle Bradford

Gilbert WV USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2004 9:55 am    

"Cheapskate?" I think not!! Highway robbery? Definetly!!!
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2004 10:15 am    

Of course, there's the theory that if you charge a cover of $30,000, you ONLY NEED TO SELL ONE TICKET!! But few, if any, steel players really want to spend that much... maybe a couple Millenium owners, I don't know.

The Texas Steel Guitar Jamboree, upcoming on March 11-14, is only around $65 ($60 if you pre-register before Feb. 1) for 4 days of steel guitar, including Buddy Emmons, Doug Jernigan, John Hughey, Herby Wallace, Hal Rugg, and all the other usual suspects.

The ISGC and the TX Jambo have reached economy of scale due to the size of our audiences, and the desire of the players to play our shows. More info below when you click on the TSGA link under my signature.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Dave Burr

League City, TX
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2004 10:21 am    

Look what $60 will get you ($50 if you're a member of the TSGA) - What a line-up!!!!! http://www.texassteelguitar.org/tsgajamboree.html

So with that in mind, yes I think $75 is too much... Unless it's some kind of fund raiser of course... Then, depending on the cause I may consider paying $75.

Another thing to consider is that if they're not expecting a big turn out at this jam (20 people or so), then the proceeds would barely cover the players' travel expenses (I.e. flight, hotel, food, etc.)

Respectfully,
Dave Burr
Dave Burr

League City, TX
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2004 10:23 am    

Herb, You beat me too it! ;-)

db
Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2004 10:35 am    

You gotta PAY to go to those things?

Next they'll want you to pay to play.

EJL
Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2004 11:00 am    

Assuming that John and Doug will 'split the gate' is just not reality. Their fees are far less than all the other expenses that go into holding such an event. If you're gonna get a good venue with a good backup band you have to PAY for them.

On the other hand, I must agree that the ticket prices are out of line, compared to other shows, but expecting to get into a concert for $10 or less is just not realistic any more. If we don't support our steel shows they will surely disappear.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2004 1:07 pm    

I tend to think of a "steel jam" and a "steel show" as 2 separate things. To me, $75 for a steel show with 2 or more of the greats playing for 4 hours or so would not be totally out of line. $75 for a steel jam is too much unless they are feeding you a decent meal along with it.
John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2004 3:15 pm    

Come to Saluda SC on the 22nd of Feb and you can See John Hughey, Jeff Newman and Randy Beavers, Tommy Dodd and a bunch of very fine players for a Whole $10 US, not confederate $ and you can get lunch for around $5. If you want to come to the Sat night Jam they will stick it to you for the huge sum of $5.
Some real Southern Hospitality there too.
The Proceeds from this show go to benefit the Shriners Childrens Hospitals.

Just another shameless attempt at getting a bigger crowd at Saluda.

[This message was edited by John Floyd on 22 January 2004 at 03:30 PM.]

Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2004 3:33 pm    

That's one I'D go to. Of all the benefits I've attended and played at besides individual musicians' families in times of trouble, the Shriners, and MDA Are the MOST worthy causes I know of. Haven't taken money for playing at one of either of them yet.

EJL
Robert Porri

Windsor, Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2004 3:47 pm    

Shows like the Norwalk, CT PSGA one (the first I've attended) I felt was a very good deal for $25 for the afternoon. I got to see 5 or 6 top steel players in the 4 hours I was there. Staying and paying more for the night or the next day doesn't change the fact of what I got for that $25.

Well, if I figure into that the fact that the show prompted me to buy my first pedal steel, then I guess it WAS a very expensive show!

Bob P.
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2004 8:35 am    

At the risk of reverting to my old off-topic board days...

I empathize with you all and think you've stated several relevant price comparisons. However, you -- we-- don't get to decide what is or is not a fair price. The free market system will determine that -- with it's laws of supply and demand. If this is an annual event you might not know the answer until you see how it's priced next year; attendees will have a good idea though by how tough it is to find a seat.

The stock market works the same way. It doesn't matter a bit what I think is a fair price for a stock. It's what the market indicates that matters.

------------------
HagFan

Bob Wood

Madera, California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2004 8:44 am    

Savell,

I agree that's too much. But, nobody ever said that learning to play one of these creatures was going to be cheap! Wait till you have to buy strings for both necks. You're looking to pay nearly thirty bucks there!

Bob

P.S. Don't feel financially alone. I'm in the same boat wit-cha!
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2004 1:50 pm    

I like steel shows that aren't rushed! At most of the big shows I've been to, steelers are running on and off stage like the Keystone Cops! I'd much rather see 4 or 5 good steelers play for an hour apeice than see 12-16 try do 20 minutes each.

Every show doesn't have to try to compete with the I.S.G.C.! (4 shows a year with 5 players is better than 1 show a year with 20 players.)
Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2004 3:02 pm    

Too rich for my blood! Of course everything is since I bought this Webb Amp.
James Marlowe

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2004 4:29 pm    

Savell, It's too much for me too.
Guess they gotta pay for that big hotel somehow!
James

Bill Llewellyn

San Jose, CA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2004 8:58 pm    

$75 for a steel jam? I've hosted four in the San Jose area over the past two years. In attendance for at least one of each has been Pete Grant, David Wright, JD Maness, Bobby Black, and other very talented players. Even the famed b0b has attended three. The jams have all been free. In that light $75 sounds kinda high. But in saying so I would also not do anything to diminish the value of the great players who will be in attendance at the gathering you mention.

------------------
Bill, steelin' since '99 | Steel page | My music | Steelers' birthdays | Over 50?

[This message was edited by Bill Llewellyn on 23 January 2004 at 11:12 PM.]

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2004 3:03 am    

Well..I would say..a bit pricey..

Saluda SC.. $10..regardless of how many come and play..

John Hughey, Jeff Newman, Randy Beavers, Tommy Dodd etc..the whole day...

I'm thinking that Scotty's is really the reference..the facility is top notch, the show is top notch and there are plenty of vendors..

I'm suprised to hear that the Ct show charges for both Day and Night activities..

I'm also thinking it would be difficult to attract new interested observers ( wannabes') to these events if the fee's are over the top. It's also difficult to bring your wife or girlfriend, or both of 'em at over the top prices.

I would say that if you're gonna charge the rate of $75 for the weekend or in that area, it should be an event similar to Scotty's.

I fully understand the expense issue and certainly can attest that the NE ( Ct.) may have higher expenses ,( been there done that) but even at that, 2 tickets for one day has me a little puzzled.
t

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 24 January 2004 at 07:01 PM.]

John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2004 3:55 am    

There has to be a balance between Price and talent.

There are some wide swings shown here in these posts for price versus Talent.

Saluda might appear to be a little too low, but they have a solid regular attendance and Buddy Walker knows whats best for what he is trying to do. You can't argue with sucess.

Jerry Braswell is on to starting a Tradition in Douglasville GA with his shows. It will be interesting to watch Jerry's Shows grow and they will, because Jerry has the support of the Georgia Steel Guitar Association and these guys will come out in droves to back him. Not too many people understand the Music business as well as Jerry. This is gonna be a GOOD one and it is to benefit the Shrine Charities, Which is GREAT.

Scotties and the Texas shows Charge a lot, but you get to see a lot, maybe too much to absorb in one weekend. Still, You can't argue with sucess.

I've heard the best way to make a Small Fortune in promoting Steel Guitar Shows......
is to start with a large one. Fortune that is.

I sincerely hope that they make it in Lakeland, this is a Shrine Club Event and will benefit the Shriners Charities, Always a good thing.

[This message was edited by John Floyd on 24 January 2004 at 01:50 PM.]

Savell

Slocomb, AL
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2004 6:45 am    

Thanks for the great feedback from all of you...

Because it is a Shriner event and it is within 5 miles of my house, I have decided to cough up $45 for the Saturday night and Sunday afternoon events. I hate to miss the seminar today at 1pm. I am sure there will be a wealth of knowledge to be passed along.

This will be my first so I am not sure what to expect. I do know that I am proud to be a new member of the psg community. I love the sound of the psg (especially my Fessenden). Always have and always will no matter what the state of "true country music" was,is, or becomes.

This forum is a wonderful thang. Thanks Bob!

[This message was edited by Savell on 24 January 2004 at 06:47 AM.]