| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How many solos do YOU play?
Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2004 10:52 am    

Dave Birkett posted an interesting thread in the "Music" Forum about the general decrease of the importance of the instrumental part in the music business (less solos,...)

Let me ask the question: What do you think about the importance of the instrumental parts in your band/group? Do you think the instruments are over/underrepresented (compared to the vocal parts) or is it OK for you? How many intros/solos/turnarounds do you play, what are your observations, do audiences appreciate instrumental skills? (I know that the answer will depend on the type of music you are playing!)

I also know that for most of us the situation might be different from the players who back up the real "big" stars, as people often come just to hear the star, but it's always interesting to get some input from audiences and fellow players.

For myself, I can say that audiences seem to appreciate Steel solos and intros (even if they come from me!), but since I do my playing in Europe, it probably also has something to do with the instrument itself being more "exotic" over here. I play several intros, solos and turnarounds, and we always try to divide the intsrumental parts equally between all lead instruments (steel, guitar, piano. We usually spend an equal amount of time rehearsing instrumental and vocal parts.

Walter
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf

------------------
Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2004 12:05 pm    

Local band, local venues and I'll never have a high profile gig. I don't suffer from lack of a good nights rest either. Anyway, I solo on 99% of our tunes whether anyone likes it or not. Kick offs including banjo stuff, about 30% which is OK by me. I know if I was more vocal I could kick off more tunes but that would require one less hot toddie before the gig. Which is one more than I enjoy nowadays. I am regularly approached by folks who have taken notice on the steel, most recently the club owner noticed my new guitar. I didn't even mention it to him.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2004 1:35 pm    

In Portland, we have at least ONE vocalist/band leader.......that, as best I can recall, sings/screams virtually every song that is heard from the bandstand. Oh, he also plays a six string lead guitar and NO ONE can dispute that he plays LOUDER than the entire band combined, and plays every measure of every song......even over the top of other vocalists when they try to sing, and particularly over the steel player that is frequently with his group.
Another newer group also has a vocalist band leader and he busily attempts to impress the crowd with his tossing of the mike back and forth from hand to hand OR, bending the mike stand over backward, or whatever. These two clowns haven't a clue that folks in the crowd might have dropped in to also hear what the BAND could deliver, whether their music was danceable or perhaps what the steelman might cough up.
The accoustic guitar that hangs around his neck is usually tossed over his shoulder and hangs in back like some kind of a statis symbol.
In those beloved olden days, the instrumentalists in the group and their intro's, middle-parts, and ending tags were employed to lengthen the song to give the dancers time to find a partner, to hook up with a partner, and to have a couple minutes of rubbing up against each other before the song ends. ON other occasions, the two guitars would deliver some kind of an up-beat riff to really give the tune some momentum/drive.
Today, LOUD and LOUDER tend to be the solution for all things unknown by the so-called band leader. Lot's of band stand
conversation and private jokes, leaving out the folks in the audience that are seeing and hearing all of this. Constant changing of the tempo with each new song performed... doesn't really give the dancers a chance to get into the swing of it. Songs so short the dancers barely have time to exchane names and phone numbers. But, many of these
guys, don't want to learn as they already know it all, even as the crowds get smaller and smaller by the end of the first set.
I AM NOT PICKING ON NEWBIES........ one merely has to open their eyes and observe what's going on around them.
sonbone

Waxahachie, TX
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2004 1:46 pm    

I play the intro on about 25% of my band's songs, I play solos on probably 70% of the songs. We only play about 4 or 5 songs that don't have some kind of intrumental break on them. I'd say I play more steel solos now than I did a few years ago. Actually, in our band the keyboard player is the one who has to hunt for something to play, many times taking a solo in place of a fiddle or even guitar part. In the past, the keyboard player had plenty of parts from the records to play and I was the one who had to hunt for something to do. Of course, this is in a band that plays about 60% Top 40 country, so that does make a difference. But I guess my point is that the pedal steel is still a very important part of the band, at least the one I play in.

I find that the audiences do appreciate the steel guitar parts, even though the audiences here in Texas are a bit jaded as far as live music goes.

Sonny

[This message was edited by sonbone on 16 January 2004 at 01:53 PM.]

Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2004 2:09 pm    

I play one to three solos depending on how long the songs are needed to be. If there's a lot of dancers, or there needs to be an extra minute, and it's not an "opening act" or other "showcase" it works out better thataway.

I work a lot.

Sometimes, too much, I think lately, but nobody else seems to want the jobs. Can't understand it. They all pay above union scale.

EJL

[This message was edited by Eric West on 16 January 2004 at 02:10 PM.]

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2004 2:55 pm    

I AM NOT PICKING ON NEWBIES........ one merely has to open their eyes and observe what's going on around them.

RIGHT ON RAYMOND
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2004 3:05 pm    

Not NEARLY enough!!!.. I only play steel in five songs or less a night. Country is DEAD in the area of NY state where I play. I am in a rock band that does about 30% country stuff... mostly Charlie Daniels or other high energy stuff [we have an good /fiddle/guitar player] I double on steel and lead [rock/southern rock /blues style mostly] guitar. I do MAYBE two steel solos a night.. MAYBE! and I can't remember the last time I played a turnaround.. its been years!... my steel chops are WAY down compared to 10 or 12 years ago... The clubs/people I play for couldn't care less about the pedal steel guitar or the guy playing it.. They just want to hear something to dance mindlessly to......bob

[This message was edited by Bob Carlucci on 16 January 2004 at 03:11 PM.]

[This message was edited by Bob Carlucci on 16 January 2004 at 03:12 PM.]

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2004 3:42 pm    

All the bands I play in feature me very often, both on solos and instrumentals or break tunes. Rarely does a song go by that I don't have a solo in. I guess I'm lucky. I've never shyed away from playing solos on rock, blues, or pop tunes and it's served me well. The worst thing a steel player can do when asked to take a solo is just freeze up. If you deliver, the opportunities will follow.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps
Robert Thomas

Mehama, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2004 4:00 pm    

I solo on every song I play. I play the song from start to finish. The people I play for love Steel Guitar music. I play usually 3 times a week. I normally perform 25 plus songs per set. I feel really lucky and don't have to compete with anyone trying to play louder. I have a standard list of over 200 songs and also play requests I don't have on my list. I fell in love with steel guitar music almost 60 years ago and I feel very fortunate to still be able to do one of the things I really love. Losing most everything else, because of age, but I can still play.
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2004 4:04 pm    

Robert... thumbs up partner!! I am seriously happy for you!! Wish I was in your shoes! bob
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2004 5:59 pm    

I don't play currently, but the topic reminded me of a period of about three years when I played with a four-piece group of bass, drums, guitar & steel, and I played 90% of all the intros, backup, solos and endings. The vocalist played rhythm guitar, and occasional lead, but not often.
I was playing a Fender 1000 with a Standel amp and a CordoVox.

....come to think of it, I was so burned-out after three years of that may be why I quit playing completely for nearly 15 years.

It also explains why it has never upset me in recent years to just lay back and play fills and color on contemporary country music.

www.genejones.com

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 16 January 2004 at 06:01 PM.]

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2004 6:50 pm    

With Bush I play lots of solos since we generally play for dances. So I usually get at least one full chorus per song, oftentimes more. When we're doing a stage show, it's usually turnarounds like off the recordings.

I left the Cornell Hurd Band earlier this year, and one of the main reasons was that with four other soloists (piano, fiddle, lead guitar, saxophone) I was usually just playing parts or perhaps an 8-bar solo. The music was way cool, but I was spending too much time with my hands in my lap. And there was simply no communication between the lead players on either side of the stage.

With James Hand, Pete Mitchell and I share all the solos, and James likes to hear us pick. So my playing more with a guitarist I'm on the same musical page with is a much more pleasant experience. And with only 5 pieces, instead of 11, the gravy is a lot thicker... if y'all know what I mean.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Gene H. Brown

Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2004 11:08 pm    

Hey Herbie,
Was that Jeb or George Bush you were talking about?

Gene
Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2004 12:08 am    

OK, I am probably one of the luckiest steel players outside of the House of God church, but I do a LOT of solos when I play live. Currently, I am mostly playing with my own group (the Unsanctified Gospel Revival), with a country rock/alt country band (the Believers) and with a group with Danny Barnes. In the Unsanctified Gospel Revival, we might let a singer do a verse or two, but nothing to get in the way of the music. My hands are never in my lap. 90% of the music is instrumental, and I play the heads (or share them with the sax player) and at least 2-3 verses. In a typical night I solo more than I did in a typical year as a Nashville road player.

With Danny Barnes, it's pretty much the same. Although the material is country, Danny stretches out a lot. It's not uncommon for me to take 4 verses of solos in a country song like 'I Stopped Loving Her Today'. And on the bluegrass material, forget it. I could take as many breaks as I could make interesting. Which would probably should be around 3-4 verses, but which ususally drags out to at least 6.

With the Believers or other groups I play with, I am usually the main soloist, and I do like it that way. I have had my share of being the part maker and while it is fun (and is my mainstay in my session work), if I am going to drag my sorry rear (and all of my equipment) out to a club gig, I want to be able to 'rock the casbah'. Even with a group like Asleep at the Wheel, it was a real drag (for me) to have to spend 95% of my time playing parts.

I know that I should be perfectly happy sitting back and playing parts, but I'm not going out and playing unless I can get upfront to some extent. Maybe it's a personality defect, I don't know. But I do know that when people hear me play live, they will hear me do my thing. I can't blame it on the bandleader or club trying to censor my playing.

------------------
www.tyack.com
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2004 1:45 am    

I am bleedin' lucky in my present group, last gig 20 upright bass solos on full AABA, or whatever the form was. Every song, and it's up to me to turn one down. I do sometimes.
On the last night that I brought the steel too, I played 5-6 jazz solos.

Last blues thing I had about 5 steel solos long as I wanted during the hour open set, but it was a pigpile that night.

Last recording 3 solos, but on several songs constantly putting in improvised counter melody licks. So at this point I am content relative to my time on either instrument.

I have another jazz gig taking shape I will be a featured soloist on. Sax, Drums, and 2, 6-string bass players... me and a Brazlilian cat.
And I will double electric mandolin and steel a bit.
But the idea is most all chords and stuff are shared between two basses who play up high and low alternately over the groove with a sax floating up top. A mix of mostly latin and some swing.

[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 20 January 2004 at 01:45 PM.]

Wayne Baker

Altus Oklahoma
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2004 3:42 am    

When I play a solo like "Together Again" or "Farewell Party" in a club full of 21 yr olds plus, they absolutely love it. I'm 37 now and have been doing it for several years.
These solos put "money in the bank" in my opinion.

Thanks,
Wayne Baker

Emmons Legrande d-10, w/8&5, Emmons S10 p/p
w/3&4 Nashville 400, Boss DD3.

[This message was edited by Wayne Baker on 17 January 2004 at 03:44 AM.]

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2004 4:43 am    

Nice Question..

Although I do get offered to play a full ride or at leas half a ride in every song..sometimes I don't..I sometimes give the guitar player the full ride or vice versa..or sometimes I just play the full turnaround,it just depends on "Whats Happening now"..

Last night, although I played "Lay Down Sally" on the Telecaster, Sonny ( the other guitar)and I swapped solo's possibly 5 or 6 times each..there was probably a full 5 minutes of guitar jam..which fit in very well with the dancing crowd as many were just standing in front of the bandstand watching and listening, the dance floor was full..so it worked..other nights it may not work..

Lots of pluckin' and Jerry Reed goin' on as the Bass player put it...

There's no formula..sometimes playing the full solo even when given to you doesn't fit the mold for that moment...

If very few are on the dance floor..then keep the song short..I say..

good luck

t

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 17 January 2004 at 08:22 AM.]

Tony Farr

Madison, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2004 6:06 am    

Hi Herb, Playing with Pete, you've got someone who loves to hear a lot of good steel work. He's great to work with and likes to work up good parts together. A super picker all around. I worked with Pete several times here in Nashville and really enjoyed it. So keep picking your steel, I pick all the way through the song, a lot of times the guitar picker get on fiddle and I have to play all the background, that's okay, I love to pick. Hello Pete !
Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2004 6:30 am    

HI WAYNE BAKER,
We have a very good lead man he and my self swap out every break, mostly half way, sometimes we twin which we like very much, twin steel and lead seem to be a lost art, but we are from the old school and the people love it. Ken fox if you see this Bobby and Billy both played last night, and they are doing well.

Hurry and come to Ga. so we can meet and play together.
WE have people that sit close to Bobby Hannah and I so they can hear us. I went to the back to eat last night and one couple followed and said the steel is taking a break and we will to. We have people who follow us from gig to gig to hear us play. ssSteel guitar is not dead here.

ernie
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2004 6:38 am    

In our band, we toss the solos around. As long as it's cookin' and the crowd digs it, we keep on keepin on. When whoever is singin' sings, the pickers get small. When the pickers are goin', the singer stays small. Every one helps everyone else look good. We play instrumentals, too. Stage hogs don't last long with us, but stage courtesy will get you popular with the rest of the band quick. The crowd comes to hear the singing as well as the picking---even bass solos and drum solos ocasionally. We only do this because it's FUN!!!
Robert Jones

Branson, Missouri
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2004 7:07 am    

Ray, I can certainly relate to you on the guitar player playing over everyone. I had that problem with our guitar player for a while. I figured out how to stop him from doing that. I simply put my bar down and let him go at it. In fact a couple of times I accually got up and walked off the stage and went for a cup of coffee. This is not real good since we are only a 4 piece band. He was as hot as my coffee when he came off the stage a couple of times. He wanted to know why I was doing that. I told him if he wanted to be a one man band I wasn't going to stop him. I said that to say this. Since we finally got our differences settled I would venture to say that I do 100% of rides, turnarounds and solos...... but let me take this one step further. The guitar player and I key off each other. We split things right down the middle on every song. No matter what it is. We do some old rock songs and yes I play on them as well. In fact we do a medalee of the song "Ol Time Rock N Roll" that ends up with a snip of Rush and "Spirit of Radio".

Walter it would sure be interesting to be on stage in Austria. I was hoping that one day I could make it accross the big pond, but it's not looking real good for me. Guess I'll just have to leave it with you and let you do your thing over there. My heart is over there on occasion though. It's funny that when I play people will come up to me and say that they sure like the sound of my keyboard!!!

Let me ask this. How many of you have ever been told that. I'd be willing to say that if I had a dollar for every time I heard that I could have retired long ago.

------------------
Mullen Royal Percision D-10 Red Laquar Pearl inlay 8&8
"Life is too short for bad tone".

[This message was edited by Robert Jones on 18 January 2004 at 07:09 AM.]

[This message was edited by Robert Jones on 18 January 2004 at 07:11 AM.]

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2004 10:06 am    

I try to avoid playing many solos, but the bandleaders usually insist on throwing a steel solo into almost every tune. I guess that's what I'm paid to do. Why hire a steel player just to play fills in the chorus?

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs, Open Hearts
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (C6add9),
Sierra Laptop 8 (E6add9), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6),
Roland Handsonic, Line 6 Variax
Wayne Baker

Altus Oklahoma
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2004 8:57 pm    

Hello back to you Ernest,
I play steel with Ernest on a regular basis and we play twin steel sometimes and swap back and forth. As I stated in another thread, we have played Steel Guitar Rag together once before. Can't wait to do it again. Ernest, March can't get here soon enough.

------------------
Thanks,
Wayne Baker

Emmons Legrande d-10, w/8&5, Emmons S10 p/p
w/3&4 Nashville 400, Boss DD3.

Tom Wicks

Coombs, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2004 11:12 pm    

I`m retired and play three and four times a week for a group of singers, and since I`m
the only lead instrument I`m just a-smiling
all the time.
Joerg Hennig

Bavaria, Germany
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2004 10:10 am    

As for now, I play ALL the solos simply because I play the only lead instrument in the band... on some tunes it´s OK, but on others it would be so much nicer to share solos with a good lead guitarist. The problem is, it´s kinda hard in this part of the world to find a Tele picker with a "Scr#% pop-country" attitude who sounds somewhat like a cross between Waylon and David Nelson. Hey, if any reader from Southern Germany knows someone like that, please drop me an e-Mail.

Regards, Joe H.