| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tex Williams & Joaquin Murphy
Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2003 2:30 am    

As I browse through the forum, I have a CD playing by Tex Williams & His Western Caravan, from old transpriptions recorded at the Riverside Rancho in California (Tex Williams On The Air 1947-1949, RFD CD 17, available at Amazon) and I thought I have to post this!

My God, these boys were hot! Unbelievable arrangements, Joaquin turns loose on "Texas Playboy Rag", what a genius he was! If you wnat to hear a tight band cookin', try this!

Keep Swingin', Walter

------------------
Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2003 2:49 am    

Welcome to the fan club, Walter!!!! You should also check out the cd Spade Cooley & his Western Dance Gang: Radio Broadcasts, on the same label. Murph is even more prominent on that one.
Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2003 4:00 am    

I habe that record also, you are right, that's awesome stuff! It is so good that they recorded these shows way back when and have them still available!!

Walter

------------------
Carter York

Austin, TX [Windsor Park]
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2003 6:45 am    

I have a reprinted copy of Spade Cooley's Fidoodlin' (sp?) LP, is that Joaquin playing on that? It was originally from 1959. Thanks for any info.

Carter
Al Johnson

Sturgeon Bay, WI USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2003 10:52 am    

wow sorry my little mind just shut down I don't believe that it was Mr. Murphy. I did have the LP once it was all listed on the back Al
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2003 11:47 am    

Carter, Murph reunited with Spade for a short time, and plays on 3 or 4 tunes near the end of the LP.
Rich Young

Georgetown, TX, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2003 12:43 pm    

First time I heard that CD - on the air- I was driving and had to pull over to listen to one of those JM solos again. Couldn't drive with my jaw in my lap Winking
Bryan Bradfield

Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada.
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2003 3:56 pm    

In Spade Cooley's band a few years earlier, was a guy named Les "Carrot Top" Anderson. Do any of you folks know of any Spade Cooley recording that has Les on it?
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2003 4:09 pm    

Les Anderson wrote and recorded "This Is Southland". I beleive I'm not certain that recording is on Columbia records.

Noel Boggs and Carrottop shared the steel guitar chairs with Cooley,but then Andersons
interests be came geared towards vocalizing which he had a great singing baritone voice.
he was one of Fenders first endorser's and played a triple neck Custom Fender.

There is a movie I beleive titled Hollywood Square Dance where both Boggs and Anderson were featured.

For further info Jason Odd may have the answer and you can tune in to Swingin West every Friday night over the net and e mail Mike Gross the host of the show.

He can answer any questions you may have.
www.swinginwest.com time 9pm Eastern until 12 midnite..Mike does all Western Swing favorites and he will be happy to answer your question.

edited for spelling error. Les passed away not too long ago at age 82 I beleive.
Mike and Les Anderson were personal friends and he can give you all the answers you have. Listen to him. www.swinginwest.com Friday night Eastern Time until 12 Midnight. You will be glad you did. You ask a question and you will get an answer. Mike is not a DJ per say
he is a Western Swing Historian who knows Western Swing and the people who made it happen better than anyone I have ever known and I have known a few. His show is interesting and informative,his music is great and he by far reaches beyond anyone I have heard playing the music we all love the best. Western Swing.
www.swinginwest.com Yes I am doing ya'll a favor if this is your kind of music

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 17 December 2003 at 07:17 PM.]

Bryan Bradfield

Post  Posted 17 Dec 2003 7:54 pm    

Thanks Jody. I will contact Mike Gross. I'm aware of Les Anderson's singing voice. I have a copy of the Town Hall Party vinyl LP from the late 1950's on which he sang one tune. I have his privately produced mid-1990's cassette. I have an original program from his induction into one of the western swing halls of fame. I also own his last pedal steel guitar. So, you can possibly understand my interest in acquiring more recordings by Les Anderson.
Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2003 2:05 am    

Les Anderson also did one recording session with Bob Wills & The Texas Playboys on October 3, 1945. "This Is Southland" was among the four tracks they recorded on that session, other musicians included Junior Barnard and Harley Huggins on Guitar, jesse Ashlock, Joe Holley and Louis Tierney on Fiddles and Millard Kelso on Piano.

Les Anderson was the Steel Player for Bob Wills between two other greats: Noel Boggs and Herb remington.

Walter

------------------
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2003 9:53 am    

Bryan, where might Les' 90s cassette be obtained today? He certainly was a talented guy, great singer, steel player, and sharp dresser too(gotta love that pistol tottin carrot!). Thanx!
Bryan Bradfield

Post  Posted 18 Dec 2003 4:11 pm    

Ron - you cannot get a copy of the cassette "today". Les' widow, Betty Anderson spends winters in the United States. Last year she returned home on about April 1, as I recall. Forumite Don Benoit was a friend to the Anderson's. He may have better information. The mailing address that I used one year ago to contact Betty is:
Betty Anderson
6th Street
Keremeos B.C.
V0X 1N0
Canada
The cassette contains the songs
Please Don't Leave Me Anymore Darlin'.
I Still Love You As I Did In Yesterday.
Afraid.
Keeper Of My Heart.
Rose Of Ol' Pawnee.
Take Me Back To Tulsa.
My Confession.
The Convict And The Rose.
Won't You Ride In My Little Red Wagon.
Have I Told You Lately That I Love You.
For I Knew The Moment I Lost You.
My Adobe Hacienda.
Les sings, plays rhythm guitar, lead guitar, and steel guitar (one cut only). All other instruments are by George Bensmiller.
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2003 5:27 pm    

Thanx a bunch Bryan, that's some good info, and those songs are all winners. Hope you find the stuff you're looking for.