| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dicky Overby, Justin Trevino & Bobby Flores
Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2003 6:27 pm    

Joan and were honered to have dinner with our freind Justin Trevino last week. Justin was kind enough to let us hear his new CD titled "The Scene Of The Crying". It would take all night to tell you how good this CD is so I'll try to do it in a few sentences. Justin's singing is spectacular as usual and the material is perfectly chosen. Justin is a real country artist, not some stringbean with a black hat and pro-tools.

Now to the players, specificly steel and fiddle. Dicky Overby may very well be the most soulful steel player I have ever heard. He plays with such a take charge attitude (I love that)and his ideas are so fresh and uninhibited. His tone is wonderful no matter what he plays. There is no comparing Dicky to anyone, Dicky is truly his own player.I'm going on record here, Dicky Overby is my favorite country steel player.

Now to that fiddle. It takes a lot to impress me when it comes to fiddle players, I like guys like Tommy Jackson, Johnny Gimble, Hank Singer, Hoot Hester and Kenny Sears, but this Bobby Flores guy "WOW" there is a fiddle player. This guy is just too much! Tone, touch, feel and most of all HEART. This CD is an absolute must for any serious country music fan. But when you buy it, wait till you get home to listen. Driving and listening this CD could be hazardous to your health.
"The Scene Of The Crying" is in prime rotation at the Cox house.

------------------

Johnny Cox
MSA Customer Service
www.msapedalsteels.com
www.thetimejumpers.com

Bill Cutright

Akron, OH
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2003 8:21 pm    

What kinda setup does Dicky use? (Guitar, Amps, etc.)
john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2003 8:44 pm    

Justin, Bobby and Dicky are three of the most awesome "Texas Super Pickers" you could ever want to listen too. Justin's new CD is in our player at all times also.
Dicky and Bobby are definitely stylists in their own right by all means. Dicky told me he used "Rosey" (Bobby's push-pull) to record Justin's project with. Incredible tone and touch.

John Buffington

[This message was edited by john buffington on 14 January 2003 at 08:47 PM.]

Bobby Flores

Blanco, Texas, U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2003 11:29 pm    

Thank you Johnny and John! Man, I don't know about putting my name in the same paragraph as Gimble, Hoot, Hank, Kenny and.....Tommy! What an incredible honor. Thank you SO much for that. Those guys are my heroes and I am flattered to even be mentioned next to them. I would like one day to have just a fraction of the immense talent those fiddle players have. Hank Singer is very special to me. He's one of my best friends on the planet and I got to live with him during the summers as a teen. What a player.

I have to agree with you regarding both Justin and Dicky. Justin's really coming into his own and is quickly establishing a large fan base which includes me at the top. I am so proud of him. He does an excellent job of picking great songs for his records and then he just nails 'em! It is such a pleasure to see a young talented artist like Justin carry the torch of great country music and you are so right Johnny, he means what he does and it shows! He doesn't let up either. He's incredible to listen to at live gigs so catch him when you hear he's around.

As far as the DickyMeister goes,...where do I start? He was the first steel player to inspire me to play steel as a kid. Back then he was playing an old blue-green Blanton and screaming it through a Fender amp., next to Hank Singer in Darrell's Tennessee Volunteers Band. The soul has always just poured out of Dicky and even people who are not familiar with steel recognize it when they hear him play. He is truly magical and as hard-core country as a person can get. One heck of a singer and writer as well and has a few of his songs on Justin's new CD including the title cut, "Scene of the Crying". His performance on Jake Hooker's latest CD, "You Had a Call" (his song as well) is just as amazing. He is an angel at delivering high intensity, raw emotion and will flat spear you on ballads. It's a surreal experience getting to work with him on gigs and I'm not kidding. He'll take you places. What he gets out of his hands and "Rosey" is unbelievable.

Dicky is playing a '66 Rosewood Emmons that I got from our mutual friend and steeler deluxe, Herb Steiner. Dicky was looking for an old Emmons and so I offered for him to try mine out. Long story short, it was severe love at first play and we all knew it. It was immediately apparent that this was a perfect match and hearing him play it is proof positive. That guitar is in the right hands now and I am happy to have been the match-maker! Personally, I have had a particular '65 wrap-around in my heart for a long time and hope one day to play it.

Dicky will be at the Borrowed Money club in Ft. Worth on Jan. 31st and Feb. 1st for those that would like to come hear him play live. It's a unique and awesome experience.

Thank you guys for your support. It is appreciated more than I can say.
Bobby
Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 6:38 am    

Johnny, you could not have expressed this any more accurately, IMHO. You have taken what I have always felt about these gentlemen and put it into words much more eloquently than I ever could. I don't know what I could add, but I'll try. Dicky Overby- A true stylist with incredible heart, immediately identifiable, always playing to the song. Justin Trevino-one of the few great young torch-bearer's of traditional country music, and a talented producer and engineer. Bobby Flores- plays everything with strings on it with the four "T's"- taste, tone, tuning, and "tude". A consummate professional in the studio and on stage. Everybody who makes records down in this part of the world should be so thankful that he is here. I know I am....These guys could not get enough recognition as far as I'm concerned. Thanks Johnny for posting this!

[This message was edited by Tommy Detamore on 15 January 2003 at 06:40 AM.]

Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 7:24 am    

I guess Dicky Overby is a well kept secret!
I remember when he was buried in the mix with Millsap. Looking forward to hearing the Trevino project! Thanks for the headsup, Johnny!
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 7:47 am    

Dang, can't add much more, except to say it makes me proud to be from Texas (even though I live in Colorado).

Also great to hear Hank Singer mentioned. An awesome player and great friend.

Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 8:34 am    

Isn't Bobby Flores the guy who played fiddle and steel on a Johnny Bush album that was out within the last five years?
Ivan Posa

Hamilton, New Zealand
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 12:57 pm    

All these musicians feature on Johnny Bush's 'Green Snakes' album. All Johnny's albums feature great Steel playing from the likes of BE, Tommy Detamore, Herb Steiner, Rick Price. Jimmy Day plays on the 'Sounds of a Heartache' album especially the definitive version of 'Farewell Party'. Dicky Overby is one of my personal favourite players. Great touch and tone. Bobby Flores also picks mean Steel....IP

------------------
Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 1:34 pm    

Sept 9, 2001
In the studio for Live set with Justin, Dicky, Bobbie,Debra Hurd, Dave Biller etc
WOW

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Dave Burr

League City, TX
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2003 3:55 pm    

Three cheers for Dicky, Justin and Bobby!!! These guys are great! Dicky is absolutely awesome, with a capital "A"! You should hear his playing on "I Wish That I Could Fall In Love Today" (Johnny Bush - Green Snakes album). Truly an example of the way it should be done.

I haven't got the new Justin album yet, but will this weekend. Thanks for the tip.

Respectfully,

------------------

Dave Burr
Remington Sustainmaster SD-10 3x4

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2003 5:06 pm    

My copy of Green Snakes was an 8-track.

That would have fit real nice on a CD with my Whiskey River vinyl.

I love both of my Justin Trevino CD's and will certainly be adding more. I love his covers but he needs to include several originals in his albums. Better country music is hard to come by.

I'll pick a favorite steel player right after I decide on a favorite Merle Haggard song.

------------------
HagFan

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2003 7:49 pm    

I just picked up the new Trevino CD on the advice of a friend(good advice)and am floored as usual with Overby's playing.I hear a lot of contrary motion in his E9 playing and not just between the 2nd and 5th strings - he seems to have something unusual going on in his middle strings as well.Can anybody post his copedant? -MJ-
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2003 8:14 pm    

From what I recall, Dicky's Emmons only has three or four knee levers, which seem to pretty much stock changes. He does a lot of reverse slants!
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2003 3:37 pm    

Glad to say that I am going to Fort Worth this weekend to hear the guys play-Dicky and Bobby will be playing with Jake Hooker at Borrowed Money. I am really looking forward to it and all those Texas ladies-oops-hope my wife doesnt read this ! Jake Hooker is a great singer as well. He and Justin Trevino are about my favorites of all time !
Bobby Flores

Post  Posted 28 Jan 2003 10:14 pm    

"Rosey" ('66 Emmons rosewood boltdown) has four knee levers, pretty stock changes. However, like Jim was saying, Dicky uses a lot of slants and some uncommon open string usage as well. Some things I still can't quite figure out! Looking forward to picking with him Friday & Saturday and hope to see you guys there. His playing will be a real treat for all of us.

Bobby
www.bobbyflores.com
Ivan Posa

Hamilton, New Zealand
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2003 1:07 am    

Check out Bobby's Bio on his website. This guy is seriously over qualified for a Country musician....IP

------------------
Dave Burr

League City, TX
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2003 9:59 am    

I've got to bump this thread to the top! I've had this CD since shortly after Johnny Cox originally posted about it.

Absolutely, without a doubt my favorite country album of 2003! Dicky Overbey is without a doubt the most awesome and overlooked (outside of Texas) steel player on the planet. He is simply my favorite. And don't get me started on the awesome fiddle playing of forum member Bobby Flores. Dicky and Bobby dance perfectly on this album. It's as if they were one person. Justin is an equally incredible singer. Put all of it together and it simply does not get any better.

Dicky or Bobby, Is the steel that Dicky's playing on this album the same steel that Bobby played on Johnny Bush's "When it's your turn to fall"? They sound just alike!

Respectfully,

------------------

Dave Burr
Remington Sustainmaster SD-10 3x4

Gary Carriger

Victoria, Texas
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2003 10:29 am    

Can't agree with all of you enough about Dicky, Bobby and Justin. Each one great in his own right. As great as they sound on CD, you've got to hear them in person to enjoy the entire experience - especially Dicky. What a player - you owe it to yourself to hear him live (and watch him).

I will see him tomorrow night here in Corpus with Jake Hooker. Another great singer - but that would be another thread.

Gary
Jelle Biel

the netherlands
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2003 11:42 am    

What can i say,
they are all our HERO's overhere in the Netherlands
Bobby Flores can( will) you send me the CD's Jake Hooker and Justin his new CD "The Scene Of The Crying". ,,,tell me how much ,you know i don't let you down HA
Jelle
Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2003 1:31 pm    

Just a note that thru Tuesday a few cuts from Justin's album and Cornell Hurd's Live at Joveta's can be heard daily on the live 365 station takecountryback at 10am and 9pm
eastern

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Bobby Flores

Post  Posted 14 Nov 2003 5:49 pm    

Many thanks again you all!

Dave, that's pretty dang good! Yes, that is the same steel on both of those albums. Nice shot.

That's "Rosie" the '66 bolt-down, which is now blessed by the hands of the great DickyMeister! Actually, on "Your Turn To Fall", I originally cut that song on B. Bailey's "Ol' Yeller" Blanton. I miss B. and I know he is missed here on the forum.

I didn't get "Rosie" until after we had cut all the tracks on John's album. So I went back in to B.G.M. Studio and re-cut my steel track on that particular song. John ended up keeping the original steel on the verse fills but he let me keep the newer solo. So it's "half & half" on that song!

We're working on J.B.'s new album right now (at BGM) and it's gonna be another really good release for John. They picked some exceptional songs and John's doing a great job singing 'em too.

Also, we just finished up Justin's new album and all I can say is wait until you hear those guys on this one!! Justin's doing a bunch of his own material, singing better than ever and Dicky played some of the most beautiful steel I've ever heard. Should be out real soon.

Thank you again for all of the kind words and support here on the forum.

Bobby

P.S. Jelle, those CD's are on the way to you my friend!
Dave Burr

League City, TX
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2003 9:20 am    

Thanks for the reply Bobby. "Rosie" is truly a wonderful sounding instrument - The recorded voice of that particular instrument, I don't think has been matched... At least to my humble ears.

Respectfully,
Dave Burr
Gordon Borland

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2003 10:19 pm    

I worked for a guy named "Crash" Steward
in the seventys. We had an office in the corrner of Randys Rodeo in San Antonio.
The company was Alamo Promotions. At that time Johnny Bush had the most awsome band.
Dicky on steel Mike Watson on Drums Frenchy
Burk playing twin fiddles with (?) I think Hanke Singer,bass was (?) Larry Patton and I got to hear those guys rehearse. That band was magic and Dicky was then and still now,
My idol on steel.

------------------
Gordon Borland
MSA D10,NASHVILLE 400,PAVEY ADDVERB,SOME WIRES AND A BATTERY.

Don Cain

Dubuque, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2003 5:07 pm    

Justin Trevino and Dicky Overbey's cd, 'Return to the scene of the crying" is super. What is Dicky using to get that awsome reverb, depth sound?