| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ralph Mooney and ShoBud
Joerg Hennig

Bavaria, Germany
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2003 10:57 am    

Somewhere I read that Ralph Mooney had a total of three ShoBuds. I know about the black Super Pro he played in the ´80s, and before that he played a green Pro-II Custom; I have a Waylon video from ´78 where he plays it. But what was his first ShoBud before that one, a Professional or maybe an early Pro-II? Anyone who remembers? Also, does anyone have some info about why and how Mooney made the switch from Fender to ShoBud?

Regards, Joe H.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2003 12:00 pm    

And why he switched from the Bud's to GFI. I guess 'cuz he wanted to?
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2003 1:07 pm    

There was a black Super Pro, made for him in 1978, that was the second one off the line. He didn't like it. Red Rhodes bought it and decided he didn't like it either, so I bought it, because I would buy anything that was black and silver, in those days.
Roger Miller

Cedar Falls, Ia.
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2003 1:12 pm    

I know for a fact that Marty Stuart was trying to buy the black one with the half moon. I was told that Mooney was hesitant but somewhat considering it to Marty.
KENNY KRUPNICK

Columbus, Ohio
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2003 2:18 pm    

Does Marty Stuart play steel?
Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2003 7:56 pm    

In 1983, Waylon asked me to build a new Super-Pro for Ralph, to match his "Half Moon" Super Pro. I ordered the parts from Sho Bud to do it and it was a great guitar for Ralph, really a different set-up, pickups and everything, this is the guitar he played most of the time between '83 and the end of the "Waylon era". At this time, Ralph only had the two guitars, the black Super Pros. I did all the service on both steels for several years, Waylon paid the bills, he was a good "Star" to his boys.
Mooney has done some great sessions in his life, glad he's in the Hall of Fame. What a great funny guy!

And yes, Gary Hogue told me that Marty S. did buy Ralph's old Fender 1000, about six years ago. I hope Marty still has it. Aren't we glad that steel guitars can't tell stories?

bobbeseymour

[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 09 November 2003 at 08:00 PM.]

Geoff Cole

Marrara N.T. Australia
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2003 10:00 pm    

Yes but thank goodness you are still here to tell the stories for them Bobbe.I for onelove your stories and I'm sure we all do.
Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2003 3:05 am    

Roger,Our friend, Danny Weaver had Moon's Bud for some time. In fact I think he said that Bobbe or Duane Marrs rerodded the neck so the E9th was on top. Seems like Danny said that Marty bought that Bud for Danny to play cause he wanted that vintage sound.
Joerg Hennig

Bavaria, Germany
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2003 8:54 am    

Thanks for the comments guys, but so far nobody has answered my question yet... what was Mooney´s very first ShoBud? That must have been a few years before there were Super Pros.

Regards, Joe H.
Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2003 11:11 am    

Joe, I beleive it was the Sho-Bud ProII, (Green one)that has been talked about on this thread. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, Ralph has shown me some pictures of it however I have never serviced or seen this steel. I bet many others have though.
bobbeseymour
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2003 6:44 pm    

What about the one on the cover of 'Honky Tonk Heroes'?

here's a pic
Tom Moorman

Decatur, GA USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2003 7:49 am    

I have pictures from around 1975 of Ralph Mooney playing a Sho-Bud Professional, with an American Flag on the front. I remember his playing with Waylon Jennings at the 'Great Southeast Music Hall' here in Atlanta. In between shows, I went up to his guitar and noticed his bar. Had a moon on the end and was concaved on the top. I've always enjoyed his playing.

[This message was edited by Tom Moorman on 11 November 2003 at 07:51 AM.]

Joerg Hennig

Bavaria, Germany
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2003 11:11 am    

Thanks, Tom. So it looks like the Professional was his first one. In fact, in Winnie Winston´s book (from 1975) there´s a picture of Ralph playing and even though there´s not a large part of the guitar visible, I can tell it´s not a Custom. Of course this makes me a little proud that my two Buds are the same models that Ralph used to play

Regards, Joe H.
autry andress

Plano, Tx.
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2003 4:37 pm    

Sure wish some one would take the time &
post some pictures from those good old
days of The Moon & Those Sho-Buds.

[This message was edited by autry andress on 11 November 2003 at 06:50 PM.]

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2003 6:00 pm    

I saw him with Waylon at a Day On The Green in SF with The Grateful Dead in the early mid 70's and I remember that guitar as being a Professional. I was just starting to trade up to a D-10 and went the following week to a store in Santa Cruz where Ernie Hagar worked. They had a Professional there but for some reason,
i opted to go with another ZB.
James Miles

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2013 8:51 am     1976 Green Sho Bud

I know from vids and pics that Ralph had a natural, brown finish Sho-Bud before the green one. I also knowthe green one is Ser# 10563, which should make mfg date 1976. It is the one in the Lost Outlaw Performance and many other live footage n pics from 76 to early eighties. It has a flag sticker on it now like the one before but I haven't found any pics or videos of it with the flag. It is still in pretty good condition though has some wood discoloration from water damage fromaa possible flood at one time. The early brown one with flag, the green pro 2 and the black one is all I have seen pics of with Waylon. The first one is also on the cover of one of the Steel Player Magazine featuring Moon.
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2013 9:07 am    

Moon's move to GFI may have been similar to Norm Hamlet's. Norm knew Gene Fields, I think as a kid, but most certainly during Gene's time at Fender.

Norm spoke very highly of Gene and the GFI a few years ago at Scotty's. He said that Gene was 100% responsive to his input and requirements in the instrument. Norm's got the GFI sounding great. Just heard him play here in June.
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2013 5:33 pm    

GFI are great guitars, light, fast and they have a good tone...

Db

Post  Posted 27 Jul 2013 8:35 pm    

Quote:
The first one is also on the cover of one of the Steel Player Magazine featuring Moon.

Emmett Roch

Texas Hill Country
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2013 9:42 am    

Ron, Ralph and Gene were close friends for many decades, as well as driving-distance neighbors when Gene was still in Arlington.

Ralph's wife was always on his case to quit smoking, and he would go visit Gene so he could sneak a smoke or two. Once I stopped in to see Gene and noticed a couple of cigarette butts in a butterfly latch and Gene said "As you can see, you just missed Ralph".

I was standing there in St Louis when Norm started examining one of the guitars. About an hour later he played his show with the black GFI Ultra.

Jackson, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2013 11:41 am    

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!