| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bobby Seymour
JAMES BANKS

Mineola,TX USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2003 2:16 pm    

I have been listening to SteelRadio.com and there is a lot of Bobby Seymour music. Just wondering, is he playing steel with that Merle Travis style picking? I haven't heard him play until I heard him on SteelRadio although I have seen his name on the forum for years. I know you will probably see this so I would like you to know Bobby, I enjoy your playing. Forgive me if I mispelled your name

------------------

Doug Seymour

Jamestown NY USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2003 2:44 pm    

You did better than lots of folks on the last name, but try Bobbe for the first name.
Uncle Doug (& yes I'd guess you did hear him thumbpickin'......wish I'd done that!)
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2003 3:24 pm    

Yes he plays that "Travis Style" great.
Of course he is also one of the best with traditional Steel style too.

I believe it was at the 1999 ISGC, when he was trading solos with himself in different styles. The guy sitting next to me asked, "Where's Chet?".

There's a short video of him playing "Travis Style" at the SGN Web Site.

Leroy Riggs

Looney Tunes, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2003 5:57 pm    

He plays pretty darned good for a bulldozer driver!!
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2003 9:59 pm    

I have an old cassette tape of Bobbe playing a live concert with Johnny Paycheck and it is as good as it gets. The tape is about
10 to 15 years old. I don't know where it was recorded, but it has some astounding steel playing on it. Ole' Bobby sure got serious that night!!
Jerry
Michael Lewis

Post  Posted 5 Nov 2003 8:09 am    

Yep, Bobbe is way up there with the big dogs when it comes to great steel playing. I enjoy his cd's but the biggest treat is seeing him do his Thumb Pickin' stuff in person. I've had the pleasure and other than getting dizzy trying to follow, WOW! Reviews said his show in Ireland was outstanding. Wish I could have been there!
Mike
Gino Iorfida

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2003 8:30 am    

bullDOZER driver? I thought Bobbe's occupation was BULL$#!+ slinger or something like that... after all his initials are...

just kidding Bobbe, you are a great asset to the steel guitar community... after all, even you need a little more ribbing and a little less leg humping now and then
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2003 8:34 am    

James, if you place a good order at Bobbe's store (Steel Guitar Nashville) he'll sometimes throw in a free copy of one of his tapes or CDs. They are great back through the years. One of his latest has him doing different verses of the same song in different styles, including Travis pickin'. Another is a great non-pedal steel album. He does it all.
Allan Thompson

Scotland.
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2003 8:50 am    

Yes Michael,
Bobbe was great in Ireland, both as a player and as a gentleman. Although i enjoyed Bobbe`s Travis style playing the highlight of the whole show for me was Bobbe playing Wichita Lineman.
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2003 6:32 pm    

I`m proud to call Bobbe a friend,I always have a couple of his CD`s in my car and everytime I want to hear that fat PP tone I play them.He always gives you a deal you wont understand...

Damir Theytrytoripmeof Besic

------------------
Wayne Cox

Chatham, Louisiana, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2003 9:07 am    

BOBBE has been a friend of mine for 25+ years,and I can safely say he has always been a top-flight steel player and musician.
And if you can get past that hard crusty exterior,he is really a nice guy to boot!
Don't tell him I said he is nice,I don't want to ruin his image.
~~W.C.~~
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2003 10:22 am    

One of the coolest things I've ever experienced was playing my lame single string version of Sweet Georgia Brown on a Stringmaster at Bobbe's old store and having him sit down ... Sweet Georgia Brown, huh? ... and play it Travis style complete with behind the bar bends, slants, strums, etc. I felt just like Charlie Brown in an old Peanuts cartoon: he, Lucy and Linus are looking at the sky and telling one another what they see in the clouds. Linus says he sees Rembrandt's night Watch and the Apostle Paul giving a sermon. Charlie says "I was gonna say I saw a duckie and a horsey but I changed my mind".
JAMES BANKS

Mineola,TX USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2003 2:45 pm    

Thanks for all the replies fellow steelers. I heard some of Bobbe's "regular" steeling today. Yes, it was first class as well. Sorry, it took so long to reply. Our office network was down for a while. One of these days, I will have to order a Bobbe Seymore Cd.
James

------------------

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2003 8:10 pm    

Cool it guys!! I just found out Bobbe is watching and apparently he reads better than he speels.
Jerry
Doyle Weigold

CColumbia City, IN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2003 1:01 pm    

Bobbe Seymoure playin' Merle Travis, and a fine job he does. Hmmmmm, I'll bet he's one that don't mind Tele pickers playin' Steel Licks. HEH HEH Doyle