| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What type of effect unit, does Sonny Garrish use
Eddie Thomas

Macon,Ga.,USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2003 8:59 am    

Does anyone know what type of effect unit Sonny Garrish uses? He has a really great chorus sound. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2003 9:29 am    

I read a few years ago that he was using a Korg A3.

------------------
Olli Haavisto
Polar steeler
Finland

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2003 9:51 am    

He doubles his own parts.

Bob
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2003 10:06 am    

Back in the 80's, I was in Nashville doing some sessions with the band I was in. One of the dudes in the booth asked me if I could play the exact solo, note for note again to double the part. He explained that no one can perfectly play the same part exactly the same way twice (as far as intonation, vibrato, attack, etc..) and it would add a killer chorus effect to the solo. It came out great. He told me that he had worked with Sonny Garrish on some sessions and that is where he got the idea. He said no chorus unit on the market (at least at the time) could come close to the feel of that type of chorus effect. At the time, I was sure that on some cuts, that Sonny was double tracking his part (especially when listening through headphones. It just doesn't sound like electronic chorus. Those of you with home studios should give this a try.
Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2003 4:17 am    

Bob and Richard are right...Gregg Galbraith told me that Sonny often doubles his parts...
erik

Post  Posted 1 Nov 2003 4:49 am    

Kinda off-topic, but ever hear Freebird or other old Skynyrd recordings? Lotsa doubling. Singers have been doubling for years. It definitely sounds more real.
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2003 7:54 am    

I have often wondered what Sonny Garrish uses to get the sound he has. I had the opportunity once to ask engineer and producer Kevin McManis that question and he said" It is just the way he plays". I found it hard to believe but I certainly was not going to argue. I am certainly interested in knowing what he uses if anything. I realize Sonny never plays any shows or comments on any forums so maybe someone close to him might give us the info.
Tim Rowley

Pinconning, MI, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2003 11:47 am    

I recall that in one of the old issues of Steel Guitarist magazine (Tom Bradshaw's publication) Sonny Garrish mentioned that he used flanging, an envelope follower, and maybe some other effect(s) on a Gene Watson session. I have also heard that he does have the ability to double his own parts, which stands to reason as he is a very "exact" type of player. He's sure been on a lot of different artist's recordings. Like the Judds' records. I know that he is a master of harmonics. Hmmm...

Another "Sonny" steeler who has a different but interesting "doubling" sound is Sonny Curtis but he definitely uses a rack and two Randall amplifiers, one with a ton of reverb and one with no reverb. Saw him just last April in Grand Rapids. A real nice guy.

Tim Rowley

[This message was edited by Tim Rowley on 01 November 2003 at 12:01 PM.]

Eddie Thomas

Macon,Ga.,USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2003 1:54 pm    

Thanks guys for the input. Sonny is a true stylist and he plays some awesome parts. If anyone has any information, please let myself and the other forum members know, because Sonny is a class act. I know in the past he used different effects, because I have an album that he put out in the 70's, and it is loaded with different effects. Thanks!
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 2 Nov 2003 10:24 am    

I forgot to mention that I bought a Digitech effects unit after that although I don't remember the model. At the time, it had the best doubling sound (built in - I am not too good at programming these effects units) of the units I was able to afford and the stores had in stock. Any multi-effects unit should either have a pre-set for doubling or it can be programmed. I was told that you need a very very slight delay and a very very minimal amount of detuning to acheive the effect of the slightly different intonation on the second part. Maybe someone with more experience could elaborate on this. Then again, you could do the Milli Vanilli thing and record one part and play over it when performing live, ha ha.
Eddie Thomas

Macon,Ga.,USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2003 2:57 pm    

Richard, you could be onto something. I knew someone would come up with some ideas. Thanks!
Dave Ristrim

Whites Creek, TN
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2003 4:52 am    

I remember reading that Sonny also used the TC Electronics Flanger/Doubler ( is that what it's called?) chorus pedal quite a bit. I finally got a used one a year ago and found it to be very musical.
Dave Ristrim
Eddie Thomas

Macon,Ga.,USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2003 8:35 am    

Dave, thanks for the info, I know the pedal you are speaking. It is a great piece, it sells for about $299. from Musicians Friend. I may have to take the plunge, cause I sure like his sound. Thanks!
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2003 8:29 pm    

I used Sonny on a session I was producing a couple of days ago, and I forgot to see what effect box he was using. He had a single space fx box, along wih a Furman rack EQ. We took one side direct, and the other side miked through a Session 1000 (using a Sennheiser 421 through a Neve). Sounded awesome, not to mention his usual super playing . Did not see any TC boxes...
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 9 Nov 2003 12:03 pm    

John, did Sonny have that "double tracked" sound on the recording?
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2003 12:41 pm    

No, it was a bit more pure than that. He did use a delay, which he tuned to the beat of the track to thicken it. Though on one song, we did double track the first half of a solo, the switched to harmony for the second half.