| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Paying Respects to Mr. Bobbe Seymour
Wayne Baker

Altus Oklahoma
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2003 8:38 pm    

I'd like to respectfully thank Mr. Bobbe Seymour for all the great things he has done for me. He has helped me with not only maintenance issues with my Legrande, but technical issues with my playing. He always answers any question and has the best videos for steel guitar maintenance. He is a pro-steel player but takes time out for the little guy. Why am I saying all this? I think its the right thing to do and I don't think we thank those that help us near enough. I hope I can provide leadership to the steelguitar community, one day, that this steel guitar legend has.

v/r
Wayne Baker
Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2003 8:50 pm    

Hear Hear.

What Wayne said. Double.

EJL

Just another "little guy"..
jim milewski

stowe, vermont
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2003 11:37 pm    

ditto, got to love a guy who loves a push pull, plays one when he could play whatever he wants and appreciates Triumphs, and an awesome sense of humor, love his thumb style pickin and just a great guy!
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2003 4:41 am    

now if he only had a sense of humor!
Carl West

La Habra, CA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2003 5:32 am    

I've know Bobbe for a long time. We worked for the same guy once, Eddy Drake from the West Coast.
You'll never meet a nicer guy than Bobbe. As for his assistance in so many things I also extend my thanks to a super guy !
Mr. Seymour'a a top notch friend in my book !

Carl West
Emmons LaGrande
Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2003 5:57 am    

..jeez, only 5 replies to the post so far?..let me be the 6th person to sign on, that will at least give us enough guys to carry him if he were to leave us today!...

...Bobbe is one of the greats in my book...
Michael Lewis

Post  Posted 6 Sep 2003 6:28 am    

You just don't find a better friend! Bobbe is just one of the great supporters of the entire steel community. He's always there to teach, fix, help in any way! Besides that, he's done wonders with my '72 P/P!
Mike
Del Rangel

Clayton, NC
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2003 9:11 am    

I must concur. Bobbe has helped me with all my equipment purchases--and ignored my whining while I waited for my U-12 to be built--and has been a wellspring of good advice. I look forward to his tips and comments and hope they keep coming. Thanks to Bobbe and SGN for being great resources to us all. Not many people have time for the little guy anymore and it is appreciated.
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2003 9:18 am    

i'll jump in here too to say that Bobbee and SGN have done all they can and more to keep me Steelin'
i'm preparin'a landin'strip in my back field so Bobbe can fly in here and get to visit me anytime he wants

------------------
Steel what?

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2003 11:34 am    

I got my first pedal steel from Bobbe around '73. After playing a little while I quit for many years to do other things. When I came back to steel recently, there was Bobbe and SGN, and he's been there for me ever since. He has a world of knowledge about this unique and complicated instrument. I can't imagine a world without him.

As for his playing, he always has a masterful and unique way of playing any piece of music in any genre on any kind of steel guitar.

But watch out for his humor. When he heard me playing in his showroom once, he came in and said he wanted to see my execution. It was the only time I ever knew him not to be joking.

[This message was edited by David Doggett on 06 September 2003 at 12:35 PM.]

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2003 12:35 pm    

[This message was edited by Roger Rettig on 07 September 2003 at 04:36 AM.]

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2003 4:20 pm    

His Uncle Doug is a great guy too.

Post  Posted 6 Sep 2003 5:19 pm    

Let me add my two cents here. How many truly great steel players are as accessible as Bobbe? How about none? Yes, it's true that he runs a store so you could argue that being accessible is part of the business. But, the truth is that he spends more time answering questions, providing expert advice, and helping people than just about anybody else.

In fact, he is so accessible that I sometimes think it works against him. I mean, other great players maintain an aura around them just by being inaccessible. Bobbe, because he is down to earth and available, reveals his human side.

A great asset to the steel guitar community.
Kenny Foy

Lynnville, KY, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2003 4:15 pm    

Every word that has been said about Bobbe is very TRUE and I would just like to add my 2%. Being a learner and a newbie to PSG Bobbe has helped me more times than I can count and give me GOOD sound advice which I wisely took. I have been in his store numerous times, just to hang out, and I have seen him give advice hundreds of times to other players and it made me think how much he helps the people in the Steel world. And he does this everyday unselfishly. Sometimes it costs him money BUT he still tells it like it is and I respect him for that. Bobbe is an asset to the PSG world and I can't imagine going to Nashville and not going to his store. As a maatter of fact his store should be on ALL historic and scenic and Smiley TOURS of Nashville.. And when the day comes for Bobbe to be inducted ANYWHERE"S I'll give my 2% and my vote.PROUD TO CALL BOBBE MY FRIEND.---Kenny Ray
Bob Hempker

Goodlettsville, TN.
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2003 5:16 am    

Bobbe has been my friend for many, many years. He is also a fine player, and a very unique player. He doesn't sound like anyone else. I am super proud to call him my friend. I haven't seen Bobbe in a few years, but still feel as close as ever. He is a great contribution to the world of steel guitar.

------------------
Alvin Sydnor

Boothwyn, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2003 4:32 pm    

I want to know is where does Bobbe get all the time he devotes to sending us e-mails and participating in this forum.
Bobbe, keep up the good work.
Alvin
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2003 6:11 pm    

If you want to hear classic push-pull tone listen to Precious Jewel on his live album. Stunning tone.
Ziggie

Freeland, Mi. USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2003 8:10 pm    

Bobbe's a good man. He's got my vote!
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2003 4:28 am    

Bobbe's Short Thumb Picking video is excellent. Just wait 'til he brings out one for us folks with Normal Thumbs.

------------------