| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Jerry Byrd Book
Gerald Menke

Stormville NY, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2003 11:31 am    

Hello all,

Just started the new Jerry Byrd book "It Was A Trip: On The Wings of Music" a very fun read and I recommend it highly, even if the company that published it should find a new copy editor. As usual I digress. Other than some early Ernest Tubb, my record/CD collection is very light on music featuring Jerry's playing, I am sad to say. After reading his book and listening to the few cuts I have, I gotta hear more! Can you all please recommend, say, 10 recordings/albums that represent him well? Thanks for reading, and to Jerry for his very fun, informative book. So inspiring, I busted out the Supro right away.

Henry Bogdan (local New York steeler)is said to have moved to Hawaii... I wonder if he'll study with Jerry too?

Gerald
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2003 11:42 am    

Jerry Byrd made many hundreds of recordings. But I will suggest three of them:

1. HiFi Guitar

2. Jerry Byrd in Hawaii

3. Steel Guitar Favorites

IMO, HIFI Guitar is the finest work JB has ever done. Nothing in my opinion comes close to it. It is my favorite of all his recordings.

Jerry Byrd in Hawaii is my second all time favorite by Jerry. The beauty in this album is unprecedented in my memory. It is hawaiian music as it should have been played from the beginning IMHO.

Steel Guitar Favorites is a collection of tunes that most of us new and/or played in the days when lap steel was king. Of course none ever did it as good as Jerry did. And effortlessly I might add.

carl
Gerald Menke

Stormville NY, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2003 11:55 am    

Dear Carl,

Thank you very much for your reply. I will contact Scotty's to see if they have those titles in stock, as I did not see them available through the Forum. Records of that sort are rarer than hen's teeth here in New York.

Gerald
Jack Byrd

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2003 3:17 pm    

Scotty has all three listed in his catalog of Jerry Byrd recordings. Each is $11. Also I might include his last and final CD "By Request". This CD has the most requested songs that Jerry has played over the years. It is available at www.mele.com or from www.cordinternational.com

You can also check ebay. Do a search on Jerry Byrd. There are always recordings of Jerry for sale. Some are very reasonable and many have never been opened and played.
Chuck S. Lettes

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2003 4:37 am    

Hello Gerald,
I also enjoyed the Jerry Byrd autobiography. He is quite the character who does not seem to hold back on his opinions, plus he has been a part of so much musical history. I agree with Carl's selections I love the Jerry Byrd in Hawaii recording, and his great version of Sweet Someone. I also enjoy Admirable Byrd, some of his non-Hawaiian music. His version of Faded Love is a personal favorite. I look forward to seeing (and hearing) you next year in St. Louis.
Chuck
Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2003 10:37 am    

I believe Tom Bradshaw has the largest number of Jerry Byrd recordings for sale.
http://www.songwriter.com/bradshaw/order.html

Roger