| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Johnny Cash
John Cox

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2003 6:56 am    

Well guys, we've lost another music icon.
we will miss him.
J.C.
Roland van Beveren

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2003 7:12 am    

Just heard the sad news.
He left us some immortal music.
Let the train blow the whistle,
now he's gone!

Roland
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2003 7:12 am    

unfortunately...knew it was coming...what an amazing life!!!
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2003 7:44 am    

Hasn't been that long since his wife June passed on. Double the sad news with the loss of John Ritter, (son of "Tex")...far to young to leave us...so sad.
David Cobb

Chanute, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2003 8:00 am    

Whenever I hear about one of these icons passing, the first thing that comes to mind is the old Jones song.

Who's gonna fill their shoes..
Who's gonna walk that tall....
Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2003 8:30 am    

I feel tht way too ,David....al

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

Barbara Hennerman

** R.I.P. **
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2003 10:51 am    

Does anyone know what happened to John Ritter? (cause of death)
Leigh Howell

Edinburgh, Scotland * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2003 12:26 pm    

Barbara.
He died of an undiaqnosed heart problem.
Something to do with a hole in an artery. He had been at a rehearsal for his tv show.

Leigh
Mac Bellingrath

Pine Bluff, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2003 2:16 pm    

Johnny Cash was among the greatest of the great. A great stylist as a performer, it was always his songwriting ability that I admired the most. What a great songwriter and poet!
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2003 3:06 pm    

Mac, I read your post as I was mentally composing this one.
"I taught the weeping willow how to cry, cry, cry.
Taught the clouds how to cover up that clear blue sky."
Poetry indeed. I'd love to spend the rest of the night, getting loaded and listening to the old Sun stuff. But like John, I've gotten rid of that demon. Listening will do, though.
We can only hope that Johnny, Carl, Elvis, and Roy are standing around, with Sam Phillips listening in. Maybe Luther's playing the boogie, too.
It's a shame to be this age(48)in a way. I've already seen heroes and legends pass, and I'm destined to see more, before I leave here. And it's depressing.
Good bye, Johnny. We'll miss you.
Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2003 6:01 pm    

Hymns by Johnny Cash (1959) was the first album my twin sister and I ever owned. We both loved it so much, but through too many moving boxes to count, old needles and too much love, the album became unplayable a long time ago. For our 51st birthday last August, she surprised me with Hymns by Johnny Cash and Johnny Cash sings Precious Memories re-mastered for compact disc by Steve Hoffman. She loaded the CD before telling me about it, and suddenly it began blasting. Diane and I sang the words to every single song right along with Johnny. Our husbands looked stunned. Probably because they’d never heard these particular gospel songs that Johnny wrote in the mid 50s – along with the fact that neither of us can carry a tune – AND the bad tune we were attempting was stereo. But we kept on through the entire CD and laughed until we cried. One of the songs, It was Jesus would be considered gospel rap today.

I wanted to share the lyrics of one of his originals from that album, Are all the Children In. It gives me such a peaceful feeling to hear his voice singing these words now.

quote:
When I’m alone I often think of an old house on the hill,
of a big yard edged in roses where we ran and played at will.
And when the nighttime brought us home, hushing our merry den,
Mother would look around and ask “are all the children in?”

Well it been many a year now, and the old house on the hill
no longer has my mother’s care - and the yard is still so still.
But if I listen I can hear it all, no mater how long its been
I seem to hear my mother ask,
“Are all the children in?”

And I wonder when the curtain falls on that last earthly day;
when we say good bye to all of this to our pain and work and play;
when we step across the river where mother so long has been,
will we hear her ask a final time, “are all the children in?”

The CD included the original liner notes of both LPs. Interestingly, “Precious Memories” (recorded in 1974) was dedicated to his late brother, Jack who died in 1944 when Johnny was 12. With a picture of the two boys included, Johnny wrote:

quote:
Dear Jack,
We lost you one sad day in May 1944. I was twelve years old. Some of these songs were the songs that we sang at your funeral. As you were dying, you gave us a description of heaven and singing angels. Could these be some of the songs that the angels were singing? See you later, Your little brother, J.R.

Rest in Peace,
A devoted fan

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2003 5:51 pm    

Here's a different side of JC that I was lucky to witness. Just a handful of years ago, Johnny performed on Oahu with his fellow Highwaymen(Waylon, Willie and Kris). An incredible concert by all, of which he stole the show by playing some incredible harmonica(s) during one of his segments. As the upbeat tune (?) progressed in intensity, he whipped out a second mouth organ and in a ferocious manner, played them alternately and simultaneously(and VERY well) driving the adoring crowd into a proper frenzy towards the climax. Heck, I didn't even recall that he played the instrument! After the song/applause and letting the folks regain their seats, he tossed each harp into the laps of two lucky ladies in the front row. Truly, an inspiring showman, and gentleman. I doubt he did many gigs after that night, but he knew how to surprise even his long time fans right to the end, and do so with a lot of class. There will never be another like Johnny Cash. Long live 'The Man In Black'!
Chet

Adrian,MI USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2003 8:38 pm    

I joined the Air Force back in 52, was shipped to Landsburg Germany as a Intercept Radio Operator in early 53. I was working B shift and a friend was telling me about a guy on another shift that played the guitar and sang. I played guitar as well so I looked him up.. Spent a few times in his room picking. Mostly gospel tunes that he wrote. I transfered to England and a year or so later I was driving to Florida from Michigan and I heard a voice on the radio...
Damm that was the guy I played with in Landsburg.. Ol Johnny... precious memories.

------------------
Chet Force
Carter D-10
Nashville 1000
Adrian, Michigan
Songs by Me: http://home.comcast.net/~clforce/Chet081303.html
Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2003 12:21 am    

Chet - what a great story! How cool that you sat on his bunk with him and picked some of those old hymns. By chance do you remember the one he wrote about his Daddy - "He's got Snow in His Hair"? That's always been my favorite.
donna
Chet

Adrian,MI USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2003 3:09 pm    

No I don't, we went thru a lot of and mostly his stuff, it would go something like this.
"here's one I'm working in the key of A" and he'd start and I'd join in, after a few rounds we went to another. He was real serious, but we found time to laugh and have a little fun. I wish I'd been able to stay there for a while. The word is, later he got a couple of guys together and they played the Military Social Clubs in that area...
Oh well... I never got a chance to be in the same general area, so I really never saw him except one time in person and he was too busy....

------------------
Chet Force
Carter D-10
Nashville 1000
Adrian, Michigan
Songs by Me: http://home.comcast.net/~clforce/Chet081303.html

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2003 6:53 am    

I think that for most of those here over seas that got into country music at a some point of live, Johnny R. Cash with his music, voice and presence has acted as an ambasador for this genre of music.
When the congress of the US wondered how to honor John Wayne, they finally printed a medal saying John Wayne - America. I think the same could be said for Johnny R. Cash. He is the John Wayne of American music.
Sure, in our field (steel guitar) he has never gained a huge direct importance for not using our beloved instrument so much, but still he has paved the roads for others to follow, including our instrument.
I have, over the recent years, pretty much turned my back to country music and moved to other things as I felt that country as I loved it had passed and I'd be too you to just waist my time mourning it and/or bitching about it, but that passed Friday morning y still cried a little.
Johnny R. Cash's music and words have been very important to me at some point of my live. I used to say that he had been my English teacher, and up to a point this was true.

... J-D.