Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  An Open Letter to Winnie Winston
Mac Bellingrath

Pine Bluff, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2003 5:38 pm    

September 10, 2003

Dear Winnie,

Thank you for your response to my recent post on the "Reece to SGHOF -- It's Long Overdue" thread. I am aware that you are a member of the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame, so I know your knowledge of and contributions to the steel guitar must be significant, and you must enjoy a good reputation among our fellow steel guitar players, as well. I look forward to meeting you someday.

At your suggestion, I will place into nomination for the Board's consideration once again the name of a person who has been nominated many times for the Hall of Fame -- perhaps more often than anyone else -- Maurice Anderson. But I want to make clear that the issue at hand is not the nomination process, but the selection process, and, more specifically, the way many of us believe it has been manipulated and abused in order to exclude one of the preeminent steel guitarists of our era. This manipulation has not only been unfair to Reece, but by omitting the contributions of one of the greatest among us, the manipulation has incorrectly written the history of an instrument in which many of us share a deep and abiding interest.

I understand that, basically, Maurice has been excluded from the Hall of Fame for certain of his actions during the demise of the old MSA company. I know that in virtually all business failures, some interested parties believe they have been unfairly treated, and apparently this is no exception. But I understand that Tom Bradshaw, an SGHOF Board member and formerly Reece's most outspoken critic over the collapse, has made a public, written apology to Reece and his associates, saying that certain of his statements were inaccurate and inappropriate, and pledging to further rectify the situation. Respectfully I suggest that Mr. Bradshaw and others of you on the Board now have an excellent opportunity to truly bury the hatchet.

Maurice's contributions to the furtherance of our instrument have been staggering. In live performances, he has acompanied the greats, from Bob Wills to Willie Nelson. He has played on hundreds of recording sessions. The recordings featuring Maurice as an artist are among the most noted of steel guitar recordings, and there is a current post on The Steel Guitar Forum about a record he made in the 1960s -- some forty years ago!

In terms of his fame among the public beyond the steel guitar community, Maurice would have to be ranked among the ten best known steel guitarists alive today -- outranking several outstanding players already in the Hall of Fame. As a teacher, most people in the know regard Maurice as one of the best and most dedicated in the world. As a builder, both the old and the new MSA companies have been regarded as among the most progressive pedal steel manufacturers. Even Maurice's "reversed" universal tuning is unique and advanced, reflecting the depth of his thinking about our instrument. Finally, Maurice has authored many intellectual theses on our instrument. How many people have done so much for the advancement of our instrument?

I have read on its web-site that the purpose of the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame is "to support the art, popularity, and prestige of the steel guitar, to honor those musicians and composers who have made significant contributions to the steel guitar world, and to educate the public regarding the steel guitar." Winnie, how can any of you on the Board say that you are living up to the noble purpose of the Hall of Fame by excluding Maurice from his proper place in the history we all share? I believe we are all short-changed by the omission.

As a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation, the SGHOF enjoys at least two key tax advantages: 1) that its supporters are allowed to make tax-deductible contributions to it, and 2) that other of its income is not taxed. However, in the granting of such favorable tax treatment, the law requires that the organization exist for a purpose that benefits the common good, rather than simply benefiting stockholders. In contrast, if certain SGHOF directors are motivated to exclude Maurice from the Hall of Fame for the harm that came their way through a business transaction with him or his company, they are inappropriately co-mingling their personal financial interests with their duties of stewardship to the common good.

I believe that Maurice has been wronged by his exclusion from the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame. Moreover, I believe the steel guitar community as a whole has been wronged.

In one of the most impactful sermons I have ever heard, the preacher said that some 2000 years ago Pontius Pilate said he was "washing his hands" of the Jews' treatment of our Saviour, Jesus Christ. And yet 2000 years later, the preacher said, Pontius Pilate is considered to be the person most directly responsible for Christ's crucifixion. Likewise, the preacher said, none of us can ever "wash our hands" of standing up for what is right. Winnie, in standing up for Maurice's induction into the Hall of Fame, I am simply standing up for what I know is right. I am asking you to join me.

Sincerely,

Mac Bellingrath

------------------
Lefty Pedalmaster D-10 8x5, Nashville 400

[This message was edited by Mac Bellingrath on 10 September 2003 at 08:02 PM.]

Winnie Winston

Tawa, Wellington, NZ * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2003 5:51 pm    

I can only join you if and when Maurice's name is placed into nomination.
There are many other steelers out there who would also be good candidates for SGHOF induction. It is always a question of "given this selection which two do we pick."
I cannot speak publically about the process because all the deliberations are held between the HOF BOD only, and I am enjoined from saying anything further.

I DO believe that the BOD has heard the discussion about Maurice. More than that I cannot say.

JW
Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2003 6:47 pm    

Quote:

...hope you don't mind if I make a suggestion, Mac...if I was writing a testimonial, I'd rewrite this section...

[This message was edited by Pat Burns on 10 September 2003 at 08:11 PM.]

Mac Bellingrath

Post  Posted 10 Sep 2003 6:57 pm    

Good point, Pat. Nothing like an objective review. Thanks. I'll see what I can do.

-- Mac
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2003 6:57 pm    

I find it interesting and disconcerting that a man of the caliber of Winnie Winston would be singled out on this forum to answer charges (real or imagined) as though this man was the sole proprietor of the SGHOF.

I have been a fan of Winnie Winston for over 30 yrs! I have read most everything I he has written. On those ocassions when I have spoken with him, he epitomizes the art of remaining silent until he he has something poignant to say.

His articulation with the written word is unprecedented in my memory when it comes to delivering highly technical material in an easily understood manner. EVERY single word I have ever read is factual and accurate to the nth degree.

I have found him to be a man of high caliber and high character. At NO time have I ever felt that Winnie would do anything by hearsay or inuendo, etc. All I have ever found from him was careful research BEFORE he wrote or spoke. Because of this I am certain the same thing applies with his being a SGHOF member.

I find this author's thread and post to be OUT Of line and improper in singling Mr winston out; and by inudendo castigate and portray him (and others) as something less than noble for decisions which they may or may not have made.

I am formally asking b0bby Lee to delete this thread entirely. THIS forum does not need this type of unwarranted maligning in any shape, form or manner.

carl dixon
Mac Bellingrath

Post  Posted 10 Sep 2003 7:11 pm    

Carl --

Rather than seeking to discredit me, why not directly refute the argument I have made?

I was only vaguely familiar with his name when Winnie responded to my post on an earlier thread. I did not single him out; I responded to him.

-- Mac
Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2003 7:21 pm    

I don't see what the problem is.

The Poster asked Mr W a question or two.

Mr Winston answered him.

Didn't look like either one had a problem with it.

THAT's the refreshing part.

No deletions, no locks, no libel.

No Ox gored here..

Kind of a Kum Bay Yah moment I'd say...

EJL

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2003 7:51 pm    

I don't believe anyone is attacking Mr. Winston, however he is the only one seemingly on the committee to make a statement.And one of his statements "there are others qualified waiting to be elected"Ok just match each of their credentials next to the accomplishments of Maurice Anderson.In my opinion there are those who are on the wall whose credentials fall somewhat short of Reeces.When and if this topic pops up you can bet that I will challenge the wrong being done to a true "Hero" of the steel Guitar. Like us all he may not be perfect,But can you Imagine the only person that ever was perfect,was crucified by his fellow man..

------------------
@^@

Eric West

Post  Posted 10 Sep 2003 8:02 pm    

Right you are.

And we were the ones that chose Barrabas weren't we?

I think it is indeed sorrowful even when the ones that aren't sinless get it.

There are better ways to go.

EJL
Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2003 9:06 pm    

Quote:
...I suggest that Mr. Bradshaw and others of you on the Board now have an excellent opportunity to truly bury the hatchet.

Yes,but not in someone's back!

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.
www.ntsga.com

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2003 9:28 am    

I hold this opinion:

No body is "wronged by exclusion" from the Hall Of Fame. People are "honored by inclusion".

I agree that Reece should be in the HOF. But let's back up a bit.

I have felt, for many years, that Jay Dee Maness should be in the SGHOF. This year it became a reality. But in prior years, I didn't feel that Jay Dee was "wronged" in any way by his "exclusion". His accomplishments stand on their own, and he has always been a steel guitar hero of mine. The HOF plaque doesn't change any of that.

These religious analogies are absurd! Nobody is being crucified here. The SGHOF honors two steel players every year. They don't "omit" people, they "include" people. That inclusion rate - 2 players per year - is a snail's pace to those who want to see their personal heroes inducted. Many great and influential players are not in the SGHOF. There's no personal harm or dishonor in that, in my opinion.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs, Open Hearts
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (C6add9),
Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6),
Roland Handsonic, Line 6 Variax
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2003 9:53 am    

Very Well said, b0b!
Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2003 11:30 am    

Some folks seem to have a hard time coming to grips with the fact that the HOF selection process is NOT A DEMOCRATIC ONE. It's not even a Republican one, with elected representatives, like the US gov't. It is totalitarianism -- absolute governance by a group of people who have unquestioned authority to decide. That's just how it is. Live with it. It's not subject for debate.

Maurice Anderson and Julian Tharpe have few more ardent admirers than I am, but it is important to separate the HOF from the person's career. The person has some control over his/her career decisions, but NOBODY BUT THE HOF BOARD has control over the choices of inductees.

That's all I have to say about that.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2003 11:33 am    

A hole-in-one, b0b! It's time this was put in perspective...

RR
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2003 11:37 am    

Winnie is not being "singled-out". This was addressed to him because he replied in the other thread and encouraged people to follow the nomination process, implying that the lack of a nomination was the first hurdle. It appears that Mac was attempting to keep the dialog on a respectful tone by directly addressing Winnie.

b0b, the religious analogies may not be an exact match for this situation, but they are at least as close as your comparison of Jay Dee's situation to Reece's. There are many well known issues that have made Reece's situation very different, even if only in perception.

I understand why the HoF Board deliberations are a private matter and that Winnie cannot openly address much of what is being stated here.

------------------
HagFan

Mac Bellingrath

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2003 2:01 pm    

Bob --

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. We can disagree without being disagreeable.

In my post, I tried to state my case without mincing my words, but in a constructive way. I am direct and candid, and I believe being so is more important than being politically correct. So here is more directness, not intended to offend anyone.

I agree with Ron Page that your comparison of Reece and Jay Dee is not correctly analogous. I believe that Reece, unlike Jay Dee, has been deliberately excluded. I believe there has been some vindictiveness (or something similar) behind Reece's exclusion. If you and I see it differently, then we disagree, and I can live with that.

You said that the religious analogies are absurd. I can only speak for my own. Mine was to convey to the reader that I was motivated to write out of sense of standing up for what I believe is right, rather than standing up for a "personal hero" of mine. If you will reread the paragraph, you will see that I state that I am standing up for "Maurice's induction", rather than stating that I am standing up for Reece. It is an important distinction to me. I know others will disagree, but I think Reece has been victimized, and I think some of us need to say it plainly and constructively.

Larry Bell, with regard to your post, I must express some level of disagreement with your statement that the Hall of Fame Board has "absolute governance" and "unquestioned authority to decide." While, as a practical matter, I concede that you are probably correct, from both the technical and the moral perspectives, I disagree. From the technical perspective, an organization that enjoys 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status can at least have its tax-favored status revoked if it is found to operate more like a hunting club than a true not-for-profit organization. From the more important moral perspective, all of us who love the steel guitar share a common history. For anyone with substantial influence to knowingly use that influence in a way that is counter to the correct preservation of our history is morally wrong. I believe that has occurred and I believe many of us should question it.

I believe the fact that this general debate has existed for years lends credence to Maurice's stature and contributions, as well as lending credence to my proposition that he has been unduly excluded from the Hall of Fame.

I thank everyone who has posted for your participation in this discussion. May it foster justice, brotherhood, and the growth and preservation of the steel guitar.

Mac Bellingrath
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2003 2:09 pm    

Quote:
"an organization that enjoys 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status can at least have its tax-favored status revoked if it is found to operate more like a hunting club than a true not-for-profit organization"

This sounds like someone's attorneys are preparing for another attack.
Mac Bellingrath

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2003 5:02 pm    

Joey --

I am not an attorney, nor have I spoken to an attorney on this or anything else having to do with the steel guitar. To the best of my knowledge, no attorney has been contacted or consulted in any way regarding this post.

I currently serve as volunteer treasurer of one non-profit and volunteer president of another. So I do have some experience in the non-profit arena.

It may sound like an attorney is involved in some way, but to the best of my knowledge, that isn't so.

-- Mac
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2003 5:20 pm    

Fair enough, Mac.
I just get a bit concerned when those guys get involved.
Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2003 5:51 pm    

My dear friend, Carl. My brother, you over reacted on this one. I saw no attack on winnie in Mac's remarks, just a simple response and expression of his opinion, with no malice toward any individual, just the apparent process. I know you well enough to realize you mean no harm either, but like we all do occasionally, we jump too quickly. cool down and remember, many of us respect you very highly because you always take the high road. Your friend, Lonnie, Jax., fl.
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2003 7:36 pm    

Lonnie,

I have much admiration and respect for you. I have reread all of the subject posts several times. And after reading them very carefully; especially the ones since the opening post, I cannot retract my post. I stand on it.

If I am wrong, may Jesus and the author forgive me. But from what I have read, I still come up with the same conclusion. I believe with all my heart that the author of this thread USED Mr Winston to slam the SGHOF; under the guise of some very cleverly worded questions.

In a word, if it was in a court of law, the author would be accused, by the defense attorney, of asking a "have you stopped beating your wife" question with many of the questions he asked.

In fact, most of the questions were not questions at all; rather they were statements cloaked in a question format; implying that not only Winnie; but all members of the SGHOF were derelict in their duty; and they were and are railroading a player purely for political reasons.

The author of that thread has the right to state whatever opinion he wishes within the rules of the SGF. However, I feel it is wrong and highly out of order to "use" one of the members (on a worldwide forum) as a scapegoat to castigate the entire SGHOF entity.

So very respectfully Lonnie, I must stand on the words in my post.

Again, and most importantly, May God right all wrongs, MINE included.

carl
Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2003 8:20 pm    

I whole-heartedly agree that Reece, Julian, and Garrish belong in a steel guitar hall of fame. Let's start another Hall of Fame organization? How about the Pedal Steel Guitar Hall of Fame? They could be the first three inductees. And, to get everyone we want in, we could elect 3 every 6 months!

Now...don't get mad! I'm just funning!
Mac Bellingrath

Post  Posted 12 Sep 2003 5:37 am    

Carl,

The last sentence of my letter to Winnie reads, "I am asking you to join me." Why would I seek to denigrate a man I am hoping will join my quest to right a wrong? Reread the first paragraph. I began the letter by acknowledging his stature and reaching out in a spirit of friendship. Reread Winnie's response. It appears that he responded in kind.

I don't believe my wording was "clever." I intended it to be as plain as a country song, and I believe it was.

I did not attack Winnie. Rather, I attacked the manipulation of the selection process that I believe has occurred. I asked for Winnie's help. However quiet the means he chooses, I am still optimistic that he will be part of the positive resolution of this matter.

I have meant ill to no one in any of these posts, including you.

Thank you for your consideration.

Mac Bellingrath

------------------
Lefty Pedalmaster D-10 8x5, Nashville 400
Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2003 6:44 am    

Quote:
There certainly is a big difference between being Crucified and being $crewed.

...indeed...just imagine the difference in the scene from "Ben-Hur" where the mob is shouting at Pilate to "crucify Him!"...

[This message was edited by Pat Burns on 12 September 2003 at 07:47 AM.]

Eric West

Post  Posted 12 Sep 2003 7:57 am    

Quote:
There certainly is a big difference between being Crucified and being $crewed

I dunno. If you ask my wife.......

Well with Johnny Cash and John Ritter checking out, they say it happens in threes.

Everybody feeling OK?

EJL