| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Retirement
Jeff Coffell

Killeen Texas
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2003 7:42 pm    

I've known Steve for many years and he is a dear friend of mine. Just like a brother to me. I haven't seen Steve for about 6 months now until tonight and he rolled in on his Harley Davidson. We didn't set and talk but maybe 5-10 minutes and he was in the music room playing my New Zum. He may quit the late night gigin, but he will never quit the music. I know Steve too well. He's got the bug about as bad as I do. We're both old farts that still Love the music.

As for me, I still Love the nitelife maybe even a little more than in my drinkin days. I'm enjoying the music more and since I've been attempting the steel for the last 2 years I seem to have the fever even worse than when I was a teenager.

I also have a good woman who supports me and goes to every gig with me. That's every weekend and we could play week nights sometimes if we wanted. As a matter of fact she runs sound for the band. She can just cut me off when I hit those bad notes on steel and singing. WHAT A DEAL I've no reason to quit and don't plan on it any time soon.

I think Steve's injury to his hand is causing him to have severe BRAIN FARTS. WHAT DO YOU THINK DR. STEVE???????????

Jeff "PLUMB COUNTRY" Coffell

[This message was edited by Jeff Coffell on 15 August 2003 at 08:45 PM.]

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2003 12:39 am    

Someone,once,asked Duke Ellington when he was going to retire. He said,"Retire from WHAT??".

I'm 65 now*,& would like to find a nice little "local" (regional,no road work.)club,to work 2 or 3 nights at,w/ a good trad. country band. (NOT lower Broadway! That's a ZOO!!) Make,maybe,$50 to $60 a night. But,then again,I've already mentioned *my dilemma earlier. It seems,in this town, when you turn 40 +/-,everyone thinks that God turns on an "instant senelity switch",& they think that you can't remember anything!
Its an image problem here. With the exception of John Hughey,most of the pickers downtown are in their mid,to late 30's. Of course,John's a legend,& can probably get work anywhere. But,what about the rest of us that aren't "legends"? (I may be,in my own mind,but that's about it!!) I've always said that NashVILE is a good town to work out of,BAD town to work in!!

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.
www.ntsga.com

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2003 2:05 am    

I'll vote for the adrenaline crash 1st, then add the bad air on top of it.

But there is also the intensity of mind needed to do it right every night.
Don't imagine the need to have advanced theory running though your head for hours on end won't take a toll.
How did you feel after 3 hours of school study for an exam... pretty burnt I suspect.
The PSG even for country takes a fairly intense level of concentration, and that in of itself takes an adenaline boost to do it.

But after a certain point we NEED that rush to feel normal, that feedback from the audience who's energy we feed off.
When that is done.. we have just our minds, begining to slow down. Any wonder theres a bit of a crash after.

Why else would our 80 year old friends here keep picking and moving steel around...
they need to do it to keep going.
So why retire, just get and easier gig.
John McGann

Boston, Massachusetts, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2003 5:03 am    

the Ellington quote is actually "Retire TO what?!!!"
Harold Jack Baker

Ladora, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2003 5:13 am    

I been pickin' steel and guitar for nearly 60 years. Retire---absolutly not. My woman saw a problem and taught herself to play keyboard and now we are a duo and play where we're appreciated and love it. Money altho nice ruins it but if you don't let it rule your gigs the rush playing is food for old age. Playing music keeps me feeling young and useful. Texas Jack & Lady V. Sho-Bud 3 X 4 & Yamaha PSR550

------------------
Texas Jack
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2003 8:00 am    

In my heyday, I was playing every Sat.Nite and some Fridays too. We did the the TV Show rehersals on Weds./THurs. and did the show on Sat. afternoon. I loved it!
About a year ago, I made a switch to an all Hawaiian group and what a thrill! My interest increased ten fold, my spirits were raised and I started playing things I'd never before tho't possible. Of course, the guitar got much lighter (Bakelite Rick) vs. quad Bigsby.
When a real gig pops up, I start battling the "climb up the stairs with all my gear" and of course, unplugging and later plugging in all of the wires, etc. The set up and tear down seem to make me more weary than any part of the playing or travel.
Being 67 now, likely has something to do with it. Only during the times when you're not playing does one really appreciate how deeply engrained music is, within one's personal constitution.
Rick McDuffie

Benson, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2003 8:42 am    

I like the idea of an "easier gig". More money, less wear and tear- that's what I'm after.

My country gig is a backbreaker- a 6-string rig, plus steel and steel rig. Takes 45 minutes, minimum to set up and tune. Yeah, I'm physically tired when I get home.

On the other hand, the jazz gig is like falling off a log- my Hofner jazz guitar in one hand, Roland JC55 in the other, with my tuner and cable in the back of the amp. I can take my gear into the venue in one trip and I don't break a sweat. Gotta love that!

Rick
Drew Howard

Post  Posted 16 Aug 2003 11:36 am    

I think as we age the challenge is finding performing venues and opportunities whose environments are less taxing on our health than the traditional honky-tonks (boy, didn't that sound like Hankey?). Since health was not a major concern of mine growing up, I have to compensate for that now. I'm 42. Everyone has a different physical constitution, so to each his own.

I should add that, like Rick, as time goes on my rig has expanded to other instruments, so I guess I've given up on my efforts to simplify!

cheers,
Drew

------------------
www.newslinkassociates.com
www.drewhoward.com

[This message was edited by Drew Howard on 16 August 2003 at 12:36 PM.]

[This message was edited by Drew Howard on 16 August 2003 at 12:41 PM.]

Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2003 12:06 pm    

I've rolled it over and over..

I wish to hell I had a job of ANY kind that I couldn't wait to awake and go to, like Jesse James, and his bikes, Rush and his "right wing spew", a designer about to make a "big innovation" a local teacher with a class that is really impressing him/her, a cop about to make a "great bust", or any number of people I know of that DO enjoy EVERY DAY of their jobs.

I don't.

Skip mentioned in his "heyday" that he played every Saturday, and most Fridays with rehearsals on thursdays. I know the artist and used to watch the show. It was GREAT!.

I do know that starting in about 1982, after a couple years of weekends, I started playing 7 night gigs with a cover band, RW Stone, that played from Spokane to Elko, and it was a meat grinder. A Meat Grinder. Rehearsed about every other day on the road gigs, and every week at least once. I had to buy another steel to do the rehearsals, ( ala my Professional) at a time when I had to buy my wife a pair of scissors for her birthday. ( I still hear about it..) That went on for a couple years nonstop, til I lied my way into a heavy dump truck, and I started doing that full time during my days. I was finally able to wuit paying my rent by the week.

I started my practice I hold to this day of sleeping in two shifts. Sometimes in my pickup at the plant after a 2AM gig. I don't remember being late to either, but it was damn close sometimes...

In that time, "The Band" went through three different incarnations. "Crossroads, RW Stone, Me and the Boys, Mountain Rein, Country Company, and finally wore down the female band leader to a saggy old barmaid. ( Bwwwaahahaa MAry..) and I don't know how many dozen drummere and bass players. BUster Newberry and Kurt Radtke on guitar were the ONLY high points of those 7 or 8 years of 5-7 niters.

My wife left and I divorced her. I was holding her 'career' back.

I lied my way into a 50,000lb dump truck with no brakes to speak of for 6$ an hour. Then to a not too much better one for 10$ an hour..

Two years of actual JOBS alowed me to pay ALL of those old 1099 in the cigar box years, and finally start paying (besides back years) into SSGLI. Then I started saving for the house I own today.

As if that wasn't enough, I got to start ( and continue) a run of twenty some bands playing in the "Big 7 Night" club here in town. The Night Riders, Sundance, Leon Smith, Bo Cody, Renegade, and other "local hot bands" were among them. Lots of them were "fun" but the money from ALL of them went to buy food while I saved for a house. Right now, other than Bob Machado, I don't remember half their names, Good guitar players were "Randy Yearout, Buster Newberry, Steve West,Dean Holtberg, Monty MOss, Shawn O'Connor, and a couple others. I learned A LOT. I made a lot of money by the standards I see established here. At least 200 grand.

I don't know if I had a "heyday". I know there were some damn sure "'A' gigs" that I'd put on stage Anywhere, next to, behind OR in front of anybody I've seen on the GOO. We got paid well for every damn one of them. "We" still do.

The whole last 15 years, I've NEVER turned down a gig, except when it was too far away from Portland, or in one case where I caught Leon Smith "nicking" the band for PA rental when he'd swiped it from his ex-wife ( who "supported him") ( I caught that one, Jeff )

THe WHOLE time I've held full time jobs driving straight dump trucks, 8 axle asphalt dumps, End Dumps, Low Boys, and for the last two years, 22 wheel asphalt hauling transfers. There aren't any bigger trucks than I drive parked at the truck stop I play in, and I've (until this last year) had as many "log book" hours as the guys that drive them there.

This year, as construction took a crap, I've had to play more.

HAPPILY, I've Finally had some time to work on MY PLAYING. I went thru my rig, got some CDs, a whole rack of new clothes, have worked REAL HARD on playing all kinds of stuff, and work with two bands in the 7 night venue here, fill in in a couple others and work ALL the other weekends with a lower key band in Eagles Elks, and other beer joint venues.

Yesterday was a good "slice of my life".

I went to work at 700am like every day last week hauling 105.500lbs in an 88 KW transfer hauling to a mountain job from the batch plant in Hillsboro with ten other transfers.

I'd worked Mon-Wed with, and in place of Doug Jones at his gig. There was a faint smell of diesel, and in spite of being made fun of for having a "dirty steel guitar" and "ragged amps","Odd Couple" jokes etc, I had FUN. That's right. I didn't stutter.

FUN.

Doug and I traded licks, GLEEFULLY complimented each others' playing, parts, and styles, and I GOT PAID. WELL. "The rest of the band" was good too I supppose.. )

I came in to get my rig Thursday after working 12 hours on asphalt, and got to hear my local idol, Harley James sitting in with them. The sounded great. I was tireder than an old dry dog turd, and had been breathing diesel from coating my boxes all day, so I begged off an invitation, and went home,loaded in, and crashed.

Yesterday started at 600AM after fighting traffic in Hillsobo. Hauled 7 @ 32 ton loads, and had to wait 20 minutes each trip to pass a Cement truck that had rolled on and crushed FLAT a lady in her little red car. They couldn't even get the pieces out.

I hauled ass all day to get done on time to make the 11th annual Hayride at the Elks in Scapoose. I ended up the last load, as luck would have it, and fought traffic in the hammer lane all the way back. I got in at 700. Went home, washed with orange cleaner, shaved, put on my slacks, suitcoat, spit shined cowboy boots, and headed out after arguing with the little woman about driving "her" toyota, to St Helens, an hour away.

Got set up, and played at 830. Music? Well it wasn't the best I remember, but I did enjoy being out of the dump truck though still spitting up diesel. I remembered to bring the mosquito repellant though .

Day gig, $175.

Night Gig, $125.

I'm 50.

Guitar player from last night was a fill in for our regular guitar player who's getting diagnosed with an "enlarged pancreas", pissing blood for ten years, no job, living with his mom, and not doing well. Hope it doesn't turn out like Rod Wilson. He was 50 too.

I remember the last time I talked to him at Mr Bs in Troutdale. He was on break. We'd never really liked each other. Mary, the work out singer/bandleader was waiting tables. THat was as it should have been..

Anyhow, I said to Rod, who looked as tired as I did, and always did the "double job" thing, though he drank.. "You know Rod, we actually might have killed ourselves during all these years, and just haven't had time to die...". We both laughed. At that time we could..

So far, I still can..

He had a big blood spot on his eye, like I'd seen him with before.
He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer soon after that and died hard 6 months later.

I've been driving dump trucks, lowboys, and hauling pavers and asphalt around here for more than 15 years. I can't think of more than three guys that have lasted that long. (knock on wood). It's either lack of legal representation in traffic court, death by ___, Unga Bunga, wrecks, or just plain burn-out.

In music, in the place I play the most, I can't think of anybody I remember from the "old days". Harley James, I guess, Larry Behm, a couple of drummers, and no band leaders. Mostly they either play there weekends or other spot gigs. I'm sure they play better, or at least I think they do.

Retirement?

Ask me or "the survivor" in a couple years.

Do I "Enjoy It".

I didn't have a week of "peaches and cream" last week. Better than Rick the guitar player, or the flattened lady in the little red car...

I'd have to say that what I Really enjoy is Being Able to Do It.

All that and Being Able to shovel gigs from time to time to other ( more deserving) players, and not take jobs from any of them.

There aren't any 105k asphalt haulers that are sitting home on my account either.

I like to think that I'd have to give up " Being Able" to "Do it".

That's something that nobody so far has offered me enough money for. God will have to make me an offer on that one if no one else steps up..

Ask me in a couple years.

Did I mention? I'm 50.

Oh, and how many people could get you to read something like this all the way through ?

Hmm?

Time to go out and buy a new jacket..

Quote:
Retire to What?

I like that one...

EJL

[This message was edited by Eric West on 16 August 2003 at 01:19 PM.]

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2003 3:13 pm    

Eric, another fine and creative post, I must say. Yes, I read it from start to finish and glad I did.
Now, I hate to burst YOUR bubble, but mine is LONGER than yours, 76 feet from nose to tail; weighs in also at 105,500 lbs., and has a total of just 26 wheels! And I'm only 67 years old! I crank out on average, about 436 miles per day, times five per week.
Aside from being my long term friend, you are one mighty fine steelman and share with everyone you meet, that warm and sensitive personality and sense of humor you have.
Maybe if Sam Elliott (a Portland boy from David Douglas High School) decides to give up those Chevrolet pickup truck commercials
I'm confident you could easily slide into that slot also. You've got that natural outdoor weathered look about you, wrinkles in all the right places and that deep Texas sounding voice..........
Thanx for the referrals you've been kind enough to throw my way. Muchly appreciated.
Eric West

Post  Posted 16 Aug 2003 3:54 pm    

67? DAMN! you look a hell of a lot older than that!// BBBWWWAaahahaha!

Acually I think I might vie for the longest "post", and I can probably stretch out my air lines, drag it by the safety hook and make 76.... not that I've ever done anything stupid like that..

I know mine's hotter, and blacker... ( Cargo, that is...

A guy showed up saying he had done "heavy haul" the other day and I reminded him that that means over 10,000 over legal weight..

I think my personal "best" is up there around 135k or so paving at PDX..

I've toned it down a lot....

I don't really know how many wheels "I" have and don't pay that much attention to them til they blow.... WHen the boss finally gets off his ass and duals the three rear axles, I'll damn sure not be counting them..

Actually I met Sam Elliot's MOM at the Gateway elks some years ago and she was the first one that mentioned that I looked anything like him. I'd never thought of it..

I wouldn't doubt that he plays steel better too....

Anyhow. Thanks as always for the kind words and the scholastically dominant ascerbic wit.

Got my Wallace Rewind today for the C6 and am going to gig with it tonite.

Ta Ta..

EJL
Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2003 4:33 pm    

John Mac,
Thanx for the correction.

Eric,
Are you,by any slim chance,related to Jody Carver??

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.
www.ntsga.com

Eric West

Post  Posted 16 Aug 2003 5:44 pm    

Related to JC?

I don't think he has any mutts like me in his family tree.

He has a facility for writing I admire.

As well as being a bright light for many more than I ever will.

I'm slightly greedy, if not stingy, ill-mannered if not rude, inconsiderate if not tastless, and I call a spade what I think it should be called rather than what it actually might be..

Nope.

No Jody here. Not even a miniature one.

He's the REAL DEAL, and in my prayers.

EJL

Michael Garnett

Seattle, WA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2003 5:51 pm    

Steve-

SAY IT AIN'T SO! My mentor is hanging up the fingerpicks? Lots of "big time" acts won't play in bars that allow smoking. Others, like the Bellamy Brothers wear "air cleaners" around their necks to keep the smoke out of their lungs. I don't know exactly how they work, but I've never seen them play without them in a bar setting.

Lemme get up there sometime. I'm working (yeah i know) Sundays 4-8, and then practicing with the band Sunday nights. Maybe I can get up there and catch another service with you.

Take care, and I'm sure you know more than me, the old man upstairs has a way of working these things out.
Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2003 5:51 pm    

Well... the job this weekend wasn't so bad. I had fun but still felt like I'd been run over on Sunday. It was kinda awkward playing with an ace wrap and splint on my left hand but it went ok. Jeff is right...I've got this in my blood. I picked up a new PX300 tonight and will experiment a little. I just may have a new D10 in the offing to compliment my Emmons and Mullin. Maybe that's all I need... a change.
Thanks for all the replies... Michael, any Sunday... you know where the church is!

------------------
God Bless,
Steve Stallings

www.thenightshiftband.net

Chris Scruggs

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2003 10:41 pm    

It's easy to play those late gigs. Just sleep until 2 in the afternoon!

It works, I do it everyday. But you know, I just learned there are actually TWO eight o' clocks! One's in the MORNING of all places! Can you believe that?

Rick McDuffie

Benson, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2003 4:44 am    

Steve,

Glad to hear you say that. As one who has "tried to quit" numerous times, I would predict that you'd be unhappy without a gig. Once it's in your blood, it's hard to quit. I ache for it when I'm not in a band.

...Although I AM lobbying for a complete cessation of dance hall gigs with our band. I'm a fair/festival/rodeo/convention man.

Rick
------------------
Rick McDuffie
Marlen SD-10, Sho-Bud Professional S-10, Paul Reed Smith McCarty, Hofner New President, Fernandes LE2G
Rick's Music Photo Gallery
www.tarheelmusic.com

[This message was edited by Rick McDuffie on 20 August 2003 at 05:45 AM.]

Michael Garnett

Seattle, WA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2003 11:50 am    

Chris - I've heard of this elusive "Eight A.M." I think I saw it once... one night when the party was over, there was this strange yellow glow out in the East... Then this big ball of fire that's usually directly overhead tried to burn up all the trees on the horizon!