| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1968-Modern Steel Guitar by Reece Anderson
Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2003 11:40 am    

Dig that if you can get it. I had it in 1968. Reece played all the Jazz songs we all used to play long ago, on this album.

I played in Jam sessions with hot Sax Clarinet ,Trumpet players blowing their brains out on all the old standard Jazz tunes. I was laying down the chords, Flatted 5ths, Aug 11ths.etc. No piano.

They all enjoyed their playing with me on my 6 pedal Gibson Electraharp tuned E6. Like Alvino Rey's. I was not a hot single string player, but I sure liked to lay down those big fat chords. Of course, this wasn't New York.

I personally think with all due respect to other great steel players, like Jeff Lampert, Jim Cohen, Larry Bell, Curly, Doug,etc.,that Maurice "Reece" Anderson was just about the most advanced and jazz sounding Pedal Steel Player of any I have heard.. He still plays Jazz concerts at the universities.

I was amazed! He did not "twang" or sound "Country" at all. His band did not sound "Country". What I am amazed about this whole thread , even with all the good ideas and thoughts, by so many,is that Reece was hardly mentioned as a foremost Jazz Pedal Steel player, and his BbMaj7th original tuning. Good post.......al

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2003 2:11 pm    

Al as always you are right on. I have that
LP you speak of,and it is TOPS in my library
of Steel Guitar Modern playing.

I can send someone a photo if they can post it.
Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2003 10:22 am    

I have most of Reece's early albums and I treasure them. Today I cannot hear "Tangerine" or "What Kind of Fool Am I" without thinking of his recordings. And his his sense of chords and their movement is much farther advanced than is evident on any of the recordings. What a great musician.
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2003 12:39 pm    

Yes Al a glaring omosio0n on my part for not including him in the jazz posts.

PS Jody C. I lost your e-mail in a system glitch.
Can you send me a message for my new e-mail app.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2011 7:23 am    

I don't think I've ever seen this LP. What songs are on it?

Gulfport, MS, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2011 7:40 am    

Is this the album that had:

Tangerine
I'm Old Fashioned
Watermelon Man
Body and Soul

What Kind of Fool am I
Forget It
Girl from Ipanema
Danny Boy

Southwest France
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2011 8:15 am    

I'd love to buy a digital copy of this. Does ANYONE know where I can do that?

p.s. I am now the custodian of Al Marcus' E6 Sho-Bud and am working through learning his copedent, hoping to lay down big fat chords (and some single notes) for years to come.
Butch Pytko

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2011 8:19 am    

This is definitely one of my all time favorite steel guitar albums. I learned Danny Boy off this album--THE BEST 6th TUNING ARRANGEMENT I EVER HEARD! A great memory is meeting Maurice in the early 80's when I ordered my MSA, which I still have.

Michael Lee Allen

Portage Park / Irving Park, Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2011 9:07 am    

Deleted

Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 2 Aug 2012 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave Burr

League City, TX
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2011 9:26 am    

As Michael stated, those songs were reissued by Mike Perlowin a couple of years ago. Those 8 songs are the first 8 songs on Volume 1. I love them all but "Watermelon Man" and "Body and Soul" are my favorites. The tone he had dialed in on "Watermelon Man" was awesome!! That horn barked!! It would be interesting to know if Reece used the same equipment on all of those songs because to my humble ears the tone is distinctively different on several of the cuts.

If you don't have it already, you should contact Mike Perlowin for a copy of "Upon Request...A Musical Decade, Volume 1 & 2". I did and am glad I did. Smile
Michael Lee Allen

Post  Posted 7 Sep 2011 9:27 am    

Deleted

Michael Lee Allen

Post  Posted 7 Sep 2011 9:28 am    

Deleted

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2011 10:04 am    

Seeing all of this really kinda choked me up...I cannot believe how much time has passed. Seeing Tom and Reece togeather is such a precious memory for me that I am almost moved to tears by it. It is like seeing a ghost from music past !!

b0b...I would surely like to read your comments when you hear this music !! Deal ??

Regards, Paul
Michael Lee Allen

Post  Posted 7 Sep 2011 11:02 am    

Deleted

Fred Wright

Minocqua, Wi USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2011 1:40 pm    

I still have copies of the Reece's biography that I wrote. Included with the 207 page biography, is a CD with 26 cuts of Reece playing and introducing each section giving credit to each player on the cut. Songs Included are: "What Kind of Fool Am I, Tangerine, Satin Doll, People, Where Is The Love, Send In The Clowns, Jesus Is The Answer, Jesus, The Son of God, Life Is Nothing, What A Difference He Made In My Life, He's Coming Back, Undecided, Stardust, Flintstones, The More I See You, Honeysuckle Rose, Rosetta, Fat Boy Rag, and Secret Love."
The book sells for $18.95 plus $5.00 S&H. However, I'll offer it as a Special to Forum members for $18.95 total. PayPal or check. Fred oldabe61@yahoo.com
Michael Lee Allen

Post  Posted 7 Sep 2011 2:12 pm    

Deleted

Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 2 Aug 2012 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fred Wright

Minocqua, Wi USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2011 2:19 pm    

No problem Michael. Thank you very much for including the front and back cover. Fred
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2011 6:40 pm    

Ah yes, I'm familiar with those tracks from the "Moods of Maurice Anderson" LPs. I wasn't aware that they were a reissue. Thanks for the clarification.

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2011 9:31 pm    

I'm very honored to call Reece my friend and mentor. He is a top notch straight-ahead jazz player, in my opinion. He has an extraordinary grasp of how harmony works, particularly as it relates to steel guitar. I have never known a more open minded and thoughtful musician, and have never met anyone as willing to share his knowledge. His Bb6 S-12 copedent, which I have on my guitar, can make the most beautiful chords, and is so logical that I can't imagine ever changing...

I am very glad to see this post, and to know people understand just how amazing this man is. I truly love him and his playing.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2011 1:24 am    

Dave Burr wrote:
As Michael stated, those songs were reissued by Mike Perlowin a couple of years ago. ....

If you don't have it already, you should contact Mike Perlowin for a copy of "Upon Request...A Musical Decade, Volume 1 & 2". I did and am glad I did. Smile

I only had a limited quantity of each CD made, and they are now all gone. I don't know if Reece had any more made, and I suggest that anybody who wants the CDs contact him first, and if he has not made any more, get back to me and I'll burn you a set.

It's interesting to note that the material on the CDs was culled from the "moods of" series, the European only "Universal Steel Man" LP, and his 2 songs from the 1970 live LP featuring Reece, Buddy, Lloyd and Doug Jernigan. With that much material to pick from, rather than rely solely on my own sense of what to include, I collaborated with a very talented man named Mike Brebes. Mike and I independently drew up lists of which songs should be included, and which should be left out. When we compared lists, we found that they were identical. We did not disagree on either including or excluding a single song.
Roual Ranes

Atlanta, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2011 5:42 am    

The main thing about Reece's playing is that he LOVES the steel guitar. I (tried) played guitar behind him in a country band and he enjoying playing the country stuff. You could hear his enjoyment in his playing. That Bb6 he uses can give some very E9th sounds when he wants them. Reece is a true PRO in all respects and one of the nicest people you will ever meet.
Geoff Cline

Southwest France
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2011 6:39 am    

Fred Wright wrote:
I still have copies of the Reece's biography that I wrote. Included with the 207 page biography, is a CD with 26 cuts of Reece playing and introducing each section giving credit to each player on the cut. Songs Included are: "What Kind of Fool Am I, Tangerine, Satin Doll, People, Where Is The Love, Send In The Clowns, Jesus Is The Answer, Jesus, The Son of God, Life Is Nothing, What A Difference He Made In My Life, He's Coming Back, Undecided, Stardust, Flintstones, The More I See You, Honeysuckle Rose, Rosetta, Fat Boy Rag, and Secret Love."
The book sells for $18.95 plus $5.00 S&H. However, I'll offer it as a Special to Forum members for $18.95 total. PayPal or check. Fred oldabe61@yahoo.com

OK Fred...I'm in. Paypal to this email address, right?

Thanks Michael for your most amazing archive of all things steel guitar.
Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2011 7:01 am    

Quote:
Thanks Michael for your most amazing archive of all things steel guitar.

Yes!!!

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2011 4:50 am    

Maurice is a giant in the history of the instrument. He is a lovely person and his knowledge of music and chords is immense. I love the guy as a friend and as a musician. His autobiography is very enlightening, and the accompanying CD alone is worth the price of the book.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Michael Lee Allen

Post  Posted 19 Sep 2011 10:36 am    

Deleted

Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 2 Aug 2012 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total