| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Dixie Chicks & Robbie Turner in Nashville tonite
Tommy Butler

Post  Posted 4 Aug 2003 8:45 pm    

I was playing tonite downtown so when I got through I eased over to see the last of the Chicks concert. I slipped in the back and of course some of us can do that. Perk,Perk. I was surprised to see Robbie Turner sitting up there on stage so I hung out til it was over. Robbie did a great job. It is always a pleasure to hear him pick. The sound man could have done a lil better job of pushing him up in the mains but never the less he played great. Good Job Robbie. Now I know who Natalie won't be voting for at the next Presidential election for sure.
Grant Johnson

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2003 7:14 am    

I may be a minority on this forum, but I like the Dixie Chicks. I think that they are one of the only mainstream acts that respect the traditions and craftsmanship of country music. Y'all can howl all you wish about their politics (but that would not be appropriate in this forum ) but their latest album is selling so well because it is good! I'd rather listen to them then all the puka-shell wearing, beach party, pop music that passes for country.
OK-Off I'm off my soapbox.
Just my Opinion, and it ain't even worth $.02!!!

------------------
www.bigsmokey.com
Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2003 8:43 am    

I don't think anyone should say anything bad about our leaders when they are in another country. When they are here in the States...let it rip.

I also believe they have paid there dues and make some real fine music.

Bob
Rick Tyson

Ohio
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2003 12:51 pm    

I would be the last to say anything about any steeler, god bless them all
Natalie Mains had no buisness giving the great state of Texas a slap in the face as she did, weather here or in any country. And to run down our president in this great nations time of grief and need is unforgivable in my mind. She was there to perform,not to run down our country and president, so she made the choice to do so.
I am a veteran and have fought for this great nation of ours and would gladly stand up again for our nation if called to do so. And Mrs Mains statement was a slap in the face for me. I personally would not walk across the street to see the Dixie Chicks and never will, and this is by the Chicks choice.
God bless any steeler performing with them, but I have my own opinion.
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2003 3:58 pm    

Chix with Dix.
Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2003 4:06 pm    

..well, this was about "Steel Players" all the way up until the first response..
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2003 4:50 pm    

Robbie Turner,Great Steel Player.Natalie Maines,Great Singer.I wish that I could have been there to hear that.I live to far away.Those two Sisters are great also.
Tommy Butler

Post  Posted 5 Aug 2003 7:03 pm    

I'm with you Pat!
Tom Vollmer

Hamburg, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2003 7:15 pm    

Right on Grant.
The Chicks are super pickers and singers and they are a bright lite musically in the fog of what FM radio calls country music.I;m not buying a CD for their political views.TV
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2003 5:27 am    

I'm with Grant - the Dixie Chicks are uncompromising with their music, and I for one am delighted that such a traditional approach has found such favour with record buyers.

They're selling CDs to a wide and varied demographic - just what country music needs to retain some credibility; I have their records, and so does the teenager next door!

------------------
Roger Rettig

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2003 7:16 am    

I like their music. My daughter has several of their CD's. And like many others I prefer them to the so-called country acts they're pooled with on country radio these days.

However, I'd put it just a little different than Tom did above. To turn a phrase, for thier politics I'm not buying their CD.

------------------
HagFan

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2003 8:20 am    

They're in my town this Friday.
The arena was sold out long in advance.
They must be doing something right.
Nicholas Dedring

Beacon, New York, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2003 8:58 am    

Well, here's hoping they survive the stupid smear campaign and the ostracism they are being hit with by Clearchannel. It is abominable that the orders from the top say not to play the record, and I understand that DJs who break that playlist rule (playing Dixie Chicks stuff by request or otherwise) are being FIRED.

Nice. Classy. No wonder the industry is barfing forth the filth that they are... they give us what they tell us we should want. Everybody's happy except for those who aren't brain-dead automatons.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2003 9:58 am    

If you like their music, you should buy their CDs whether you agree with their politics or not. It's not right to try and destroy somebody's career just because they have a different perspective than you do.

Personally, I don't care for their music, (I prefer instrumental music) which is why I'm not buying their CDs. It has nothing to do with their political opinions.
Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2003 9:58 am    

..I heard somewhere that Robbie Turner was their steel player..
Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2003 10:22 am    

Is Clear Channel really "axing" DJ s that play Dixie Chicks music?!? That's a pretty scary situation if it's true. Kinda like "Big Brother".
Anyway, I don't know if the "blacklisting " of their recordings on radio will really hurt the "Chix". Afterall, their latest release is still selling well. If the "blacklisting" is an attempt to hurt them financially, well, touring artists actually make most of their income from their performance dates and I haven't heard of any "Chix" shows cancelling because of low ticket sales.

While I don't neccessarily agree with Natalie's remarks/political views, she isn't alone among entertainers that expound political opinions. Nobody's "blacklisting" the TV show, "West Wing" (or should I say "Left Wing" ) because of Martin Sheen's political remarks. So, why should she and the Dixie Chicks be singled out?

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn www.kevinfowler.com

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2003 10:37 am    

If true, I am very saddened by Clear Channel using their power to censor artists.

If individuals choose not to buy or listen, that's their right. But if a big company decides what's best for us, that's a whole different issue.
Nicholas Dedring

Beacon, New York, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2003 10:41 am    

I know there are orders to keep the record from being played, and was told (by a guy who knows a guy who etc. etc.) that there have been sanctions and termination for people who break the rules... I am under the impression that DJs who work for big corporate stations don't really have a say in who does and doesn't get airtime... it almost makes you long for the days of mom and pop payola ($100 in the jacket, the record got airtime) as opposed to the corporatized kind we have now...
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2003 11:09 am    

I came to the forum to read about steel guitar and to this thread to read about Robbie Turner because oddly enough, his name is in the title. And instead I get the distasteful experience of reading about Kevin Hatton's bent sexual fantasies. Wonderful.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2003 12:19 pm    

It would be nice to have a topic about Robbie Turner. I'm closing this because of all of the off topic responses.

Please note that the "Steel Players" section of the forum is for discussions about "Steel Guitarists and their Music".

------------------
               Bobby Lee
-b0b-   quasar@b0b.com

System Administrator