| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Good Guys/ Bad Guys
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2003 10:52 am    

All of my life since I was a little boy,I always wanted one thing,not a bicyle,not a Lionel Train set.What I wanted was something
money couldnt buy.

I wanted to be a "COWBOY". I had that dream and that dream never really came true.

I have played sessions and toured with Western Cowboys,I even met Gene Autry and Roy Rogers,,but I was never able to accomplish the glory of my being a real Cowboy.

The old western movies always had the "good guys wearing the "white hats,and the bad bad guys wearing the black hats.

If a Cowboy wore a black hat,,reach for the sky pardner and reach em high.

When I was asked years ago (100) Mr.Fender and Donald D.Randall asked me to take a promo
photo for the 1954 catalogue. Leo Fender requested I wear a white hat,I was happy that
he thought of me as a good guy.

When the 1954 Fender catalogue was printed,I was the "only" one of four wearing a hat.

Noel had no hat, Leon, had no hat, and Alvino
wasn't a cowboy so he didnt have to wear a hat.

I hated to wear any kind of hat,I asked Mr.Fender,Leo why did you ask me to wear a hat? I look stupid and he said,,well you have a lot of hair and by comparison I didnt want Leon and Noel look as though they had less hair than you.

OK,so that was Leo,but since that time many years ago people have asked me,are you a real
cowboy? was I to lie to them? NO...Gene Jones
is a real Cowboy,(ask my granddaughter) she knows a real cowboy when she sees one.

Autry and Rogers and Hoot Gibson and Ken Maynard and Buck Jones and Eddie Dean were real Cowboys,but me?? NO.

But I did something that according to folklore,I wore a "white Cowboy hat" and that made me the good guy....I think? .

I receive each month a magazine "Music & Sound Retailer" this is a magazine circulated
all over the world and it is intended for the title it carries "Music & Sound Retailer"

As I read through the articles of interest and those others as well,,I saw a young gentleman with a "Black Hat" and his pre-mature gray hair and his bright white shirt with a western string tie,this caught my eye.

He looked very distinguished and he had a "black steel guitar" and a "black amp" I thought,boy this guy must be a real "bad guy"

As I read further his name was familar to me
He is a member of this Forum,he is extremely
knowledgable regarding steel guitars both pedal and non pedal,and most times he amazes
me with his knowledge regarding Fender guitars and amps,he knows more than I do,,and
I was a Fender rep all my life and I wore a "white hat"...whats this all about Alfie?

I remember a few years back,before I was aware that a SGF existed,I had no computer but a friend saw a thread by this gentleman and made a copy for me.

The thread was pertaining to a GREAT Steel player an Icon a Virtuoso..This Icon was very ill,his health was declining,and the friend of his kept all of you people aware of this Icons condition on a daily basis.

This kind man took this legend into his home
and took care of him until his last breath
was taken,I remember him making reference to his comments that this Legend was spitting up blood and yet the ER doctors sent him home with nothing but an ant-acid and diagnosed his problem as "Ulcers".

The gentlemen who took his friend into his home with his wife and himself nursed this Legend until the day he passed. When the word
was out,It made me sad and yet angry that the medical proffesion passed his health issue off as nothing but "ulcers" well then
the ulcers spread to his brain shortly thereafter and this Icon passed away.

He suffered and died because,maybe he had no chance of survival I dont really know,but the fact that his HMO was not good,they passed him by and gave him antacid medication

I dont exchange e mail with this good friend
of the Icon we all admire,but I read his posts and find them to be interesting.

I e mailed Joey Ace a few weeks back and asked if I could acknowledge this Forum member for what he did for his friend and also what he contributed to the Armed Forces
by touring on behalf of the Peavey company.
Joey explained that this story may be a copryight and we didnt want to announce this for that possibility.

The story is interesting and as it is described,he and the others were in harms way as they entertained our USA troops.

The sound of enemy anti aircraft was close by
as he played his steel guitar,and I suprised that the enemy artillary could be heard over the Peavey 1000 this gentleman was playing.

I think the Peavey 1000 could have blown them away if it had to.

This gentleman was wearing a "Black Hat" one that the bad guys were have known to have worn. This man is not a Bad guy,he is a wonderful human being like many others on this Forum,,and I know this is a long thread
but what else is new???

I can only add that I wished I knew him and I may never have the chance of meeting him.

He is afflicted with the same demon that follows my wife and myself every day.

I wanted to do this for a special reason because it is for a special guy..

I want to add the last eight bars to one of my favorite Western songs recorded by many,but my favorite is Andy Parker and The
Plainsmen with this gentlemans good friend
playing steel guitar on this particular recording and the last eight bars are such.
Title "Ridin Down The Canyon"
"Ill Tell You Folks Its Heaven To Be Riding
Down The Trail,When That Desert Sun Goes Down

I pray that the sun stays bright for this Forum member and when the time comes for myself and others and God calls, I will add that Bob Nolan and Tim Spencer wrote a beautiful song many years ago and its title is "Cowboy Camp Meeting Way Up In The Sky".

My friend,,if I get there before you I pray that I will hold a place for you at the Campfire and be able to sit next to you and Joaquin and Noel and Leon and Jimmy Day and Vance and everyone else,,then I will have a dream come true,I will then be a "real Cowboy

Adios my friend.
I'm not a real cowboy and I never was,,It only goes to prove that

The GOOD GUYS WEAR BLACK HATS. Dont beleive that only the good guys wear WHITE HATS.

Get Well my friend,and I'll save a place for you at that Cowboy Camp Meeting Way Up in The Sky". and I pray thats not for a long long time to come.

Michael Johnstone a real Cowboy with a Black
Hat. Get well,my prayers are with you.

Your friend

Jody edited to burn my white hat. edited
to add. You WILL BEAT THIS THING.

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 01 July 2003 at 04:16 PM.]

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2003 10:58 am    

Those aircraft guns are no match for Mikes
Peavey 1000.

from Peavey "Music & Sound Retailer", posted with permission

Home / News
PEDAL STEEL GUITARIST PERFORMS FOR TROOPS ON USO TOUR
Musician travels to Eastern European installations as troops prepare for war
March 25, 2003

MERIDIAN, Miss.— While some musicians may use "battlefield" as a metaphor to describe an arduous gig, pedal steel guitar luminary Michael Johnstone recently tested his Peavey Nashville™ 1000 on a real battlefield: the Balkan states formerly known as Yugoslavia.
Johnstone, who has played with Tex Williams, Charlie Pride, Leon Russell and Dale Watson, among countless others, performed with Kevin Banford and the Bakersfield Boys on a tour of U.S. and NATO bases in Eastern Europe. Security was understandably tight, as soldiers prepared for the conflict now known as Operation Iraqi Freedom.

"The U.S. military installations we played were always on high alert," said Johnstone. "Everybody carried M-16 rifles at all times, even at our gigs. Our audiences were enthusiastic but small, because more and more U.S. troops were being re-deployed to the Middle East."

Touring with musical equipment in the post-war Balkans can be a precarious task, as Johnstone discovered. He traveled in armed convoys from gig to gig along the same treacherous mountain roads many refugees used to flee the conflict. "Your equipment could easily be damaged in a place like Bosnia, where the roads are still pockmarked from the mortar barrage, AC voltage is unpredictable and an amp tech is hard to find. Your gear must be 100% reliable."

Luckily, Johnstone counts himself among the many Peavey faithful, and traveled with his Nashville 1000. "I've been using Peavey amps for many years now, and they always deliver a fat, clean sound and are extremely dependable," he said. "For pedal steel playing, you need ample clean power and headroom, plus lots of EQ and patching and looping options-not to mention a stout, full-range 15" speaker and an open-back cabinet for that articulate, singing quality-all in a compact, lightweight package. The Nashville 1000 delivers on all fronts. It's simply the best steel guitar amp available."

During his 30 years on the USO circuit, Johnstone has entertained troops in Southeast Asia and all over the Pacific Rim, Cuba, Iceland and Europe. "I always like to do these USO tours whenever I can," he said. "Coming from a military family myself, I like to support our armed forces and take a little bit of music to them. I also like to see the situation for myself, see what the place looks like and what the local culture is like, talk politics with local folks, hear their music and travel the countryside."

Johnstone currently performs traditional cowboy music around Southern California with the celebrated Riders of the Purple Sage.

[Edited to Add Photo.]

[This message was edited by Joey Ace on 01 July 2003 at 12:47 PM.]

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2003 11:41 am    

Jody,
You are to Cowboys what Teenie Boppers were to Frank! You 'da man!

Get well Mike, and everybody else that needs to!
We need more good news here!
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2003 1:43 pm    

This is David Donald sitting out car troubles at Crowbears...
french mechanics ain't so fast.

As usual Jody has given us another inspirational story for the steelers archive.

No matter what hat he wears, in NYC or out on the range,
Jody's a cowboy at heart!
And that's what counts.

[This message was edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 01 July 2003 at 02:45 PM.]

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2003 2:01 pm    

Thanks for the kind words Jody. They mean a lot to me right about now.Yeah I might be ill but I'm determined to beat this thing and with a little luck,a positive attitude and the doctors at UCLA - I shall. Meanwhile I'm still pickin.
-MJ-
Greg Sullivan

Poughqaug New York
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2003 3:06 pm    

Jody rides again.And Michael Johnstone will ride beside him. (smile).Best to both of you.

Greg & Lisa Sullivan.
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2003 3:53 pm    

Michael: I have shared some wonderful moments with you on this Forum. You know I have been very impressed with your gift of words and talking back and forth with you while you were over there was a real pleasure for me. I hope time and life are kind to you and repay some of the joy you have given to others. I would also wish that you might gain a grandson like I have acquired through fate and as Jody puts it: Good Times and Bad Times. It always seems to treat me well and I would want nothing less for you !!

Regards, Paul
R. L. Jones

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2003 8:23 pm    

My childhood memories ,I treasure the most I suppose , With Sat. afternoons down at the town picture show .
Alldaylong I work in the fields , but at nite , then I dream ,I`d see Gene Autry ,go riding across the big screen

79 years young here

R. L.
Jeff A. Smith

Angola,Ind. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2003 8:46 pm    

Michael, it was very sobering when you mentioned your condition recently. I had no idea. I will always be grateful for the generous advice and opinion you have offered, from a pro's perspective.

The very first thread I started on this Forum was a question about how steel players organized things while improvising. I still remember the marvelous and in-depth response you gave, which told how you see different layers based on different pedal combinations, and how you practice with this background in mind.

May your life be richly blessed.

Thanks Jody, for giving us the opportunity to express support and appreciation for a very valued human being.

Jeff
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2003 9:10 pm    

I've never met Jody in person, only through our e-mails, yet I feel I've known this fine man for many years. Of course, I have never had the pleasure of meeting Michael either. Michael, you have the right attitude as you battle this thing and you have my best wishes to succeed. I know Jody will beat the odds also. I'm sure everyone who reads this Forum will have you both in their prayers.
nick allen

France
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2003 10:48 pm    

Michael -
I missed whatever the post was stating that you were ill... But I wish you all the very best for a speedy and successful recovery. Your posts have been an immense help, inspiration and source of information to me in my attempts to achieve *some* kind of ability with the non-pedal guitar over the past few years.
I had planned to be in California earlier this year and hoped to get to see you play, and maybe meet you - unfortunately family problems prevented that, but I still hope to make it out there later in the year, and trust you will still be playing...
All very best wishes to you and yours.
Nick
Carl West

La Habra, CA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2003 5:21 am    

Michael,
My prayers will be with you. I wish you a complete speedy recovery. Although I never met you, you still are part of a large family that cares,hope,and prays. Take care my friend.

Carl West
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2003 4:05 pm    

Thanx guys. Nick - I never outright posted about this. It just sorta snuck in there but here's what's happening. Last May I was diagnosed with a Squamous cell tumor on my right tonsil.Surgery was too damaging to my voice so I opted for the usual radiation and chemo and today I'm halfway thru a 7 week treatment schedule.This kind of cancer is well understood and is known to respond well to treatment. Also,it hasn't spread to the two places that things like this go - lungs and lymph system.The only complication is that I've been a Hep C carrier for 30+ years and it has flared up due to my cancer and treatment. I'll know next week after some scans and tests what shape my liver is in and will probably need to go on interferon for 6 months to a year after this present thing is over. I don't think it's anything that can't be handled but it looks like I'm in for a long haul of not feeling that great. If I keep my eye on the ball and my liver doesn't go south,I'll make it ok. -MJ-
RON PRESTON

Dodson, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2003 5:01 pm    

Oh, This "Small Band of Brothers".
Once again, Jody, You have Done it again.
Just like the music we play, and the Steel that means so much to us, Money can't buy the friendship and the "Good and Bad times", that we share on this Forum. God Bless you, Jody, for Sharing "The Real Cowboy" in you.
I will be praying that both you and Michael come through Victorious.
Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2003 6:16 pm    

Jody,
What a wonderful tribute.

MJ,
My single-12 playing brother
May all the good forces in this world focus on you as you have brought joy to others. And may that benevolent west wind be at your back to help you along in your journey. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2003 9:31 pm    

My thanks to all of you who have taken the time to acknowledge my Tribute to Michael.
People have asked me why I am always doing tributes to Forum members and I guess its because I know they deserve to know how I feel how I feel about them. I have done many in my two or so years
on this Forum and I hope I can do more for those who deserve the recognition and well wishes from all of you.

It is gratifying to me for seeing those of you who posted to Michael and wish him well.
Without you is like playing to an empty house and no audience..I appreciate your support for Mike and I know he will overcome
this situation with the help of God and those
of you who are behind him...thanks to all of
you.I took a chance posting this,not because
of Michael not deserving this,but because I
felt I was taking advantage of my long stories which I am notorious for.

Joey Ace posted and I quote my buddy Joey,
You are to Cowboys what Teenie Boppers were to Frank! "unquote"

Joey you mean Bobby Soxers not Teenie Boppers

My sincere thanks to all of you and to Mike for allowing me to do this on his behalf and to Joey Ace..the Ace of The Steel Guitar Forum and Joey,,,,you are to the Forum what
Babe Ruth was to baseball

Be well and thanks to you all or Ya'll east or west north or south,,wear a black hat,wear any color hat..good guys wear both.

Be well. My hat is off to all of you. I still
have hair edited to see how much hair I have left after this long post. It is those of you who read my marathon posts that should be pulling your hair out.

Jody Hey Nick,do you wear a Hat??

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 02 July 2003 at 10:39 PM.]

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2003 6:57 am    

When I saw this the other day I was on the road, not on my computer, and VERY tired.
So I forgot something important...

I want to also wish Michael the best of luck beating the health problems and keepin' steelin'. Keep a good attitude dude!
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2003 7:17 am    

Jody,

You brought back mucho nostalgia to me with your cowboy heroes. My mind was ablaze at the Saturdays I spent in movie theaters watching all those you listed. As well as many more. Thanks Jody for bringing back some very wonderful times in my life.

You may not have have been a cowboy dear friend, but you did achieve one thing. You are the ONLY one I know of that can write a longer post than yours truly ;0)

May Jesus richly bless you and all the rest,

carl
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2003 10:09 am    

Michael, it's my loss that we have never met nor corresponded with each other, but I want you to know that I am wishing you the best in overcoming your health problems....and Jody, black or white hats are optional!

For all of you "closet cowboys", check out the following website for a run-down on all of your movie cowboy heros! http://www.johnnywakely.com/cowboys.htm
www.genejones.com
Bruce Clarke

Spain
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2003 12:57 pm    

there is also "The old Corral" athttp://www.surfnetinc.com/chuck/trio.htm