| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Steel and guns?
Jim West

Post  Posted 13 May 2003 10:15 am    

Any of you steelers into the shooting sports? I don't shoot competition but I do enjoy getting out with my boys and friends for a Saturday afternoon of plinking. We shoot anything from 22's to 458 Win mag and in pistols from 22's to the handcannons such as 454 Casull, 475 Linebaugh, 50AE etc.. Great fun!

Any of you steelers occasionally enjoy a little "ballistic therapy" ?
Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2003 10:30 am    

Yessir-Don't get down to the police dept range much anymore-we used to have the longest indoor range in the state of Illinois-approx 100 yds-its undergoing repair-So we have to trek out to Lasalle,IL to Buffalo Rock to shoot the high power stuff-Right on Chuckster! From my cold dead hands! My Girlfriend-Yes,My Emmons-Maybe,My Guns-Never!

[This message was edited by PAUL WARNIK on 13 May 2003 at 11:31 AM.]

Danny Naccarato

Burleson, Texas
Post  Posted 13 May 2003 11:17 am    

9mm Taurus...10 rnd clips, tons of ammo. Fixin to get a carry permit. When at my sister's in Calif, they're on 160+ acres & there's lot's of plinking, particularly ground squirrels, rabbits, and various other "rodents" causing havoc in the vineyard portion.

Here's a funny twist, it's far easier to check a gun when flying than it is an instrument. Go figure that one.....
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2003 11:26 am    

I like to collect hand guns. I just about have my collection of Ruger Bisleys complete. All I'm lacking is the 357. And I'll have that when I can come up with the $$$$$. So far I have the 22, 32, 41 mag, 45 Colt and the 44 mag.
Gary Dunn

near Camel City, NC
Post  Posted 13 May 2003 11:35 am    

yup, a pair of 10mm delta's by colt; a pair of AR-15's and the list can go on and on and on. I also reload; use a dillion 650 with all the bells and whistle's. RCBS equipment also. But my favorite is the M1A SuperMatch.

[This message was edited by Gary Dunn on 13 May 2003 at 01:17 PM.]

Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2003 11:43 am    

Yes-"Loaded M1A Natl Match" with the "ANPVS-2" Night Vision One of my most prized possessions is my Ohio Ordnance 1918A3 B.A.R.(Browning Automatic Rifle) From the bench with bipod is capable of consistent RAPID FIRE headshots at 100yds (thats with iron sights) I like my Remington 700PSS (Police Sniper System) One of the guys I work with (Marine reservist-former Corps sniper) can hit a dime at 200yds with the Leupold scope

[This message was edited by PAUL WARNIK on 13 May 2003 at 12:52 PM.]

Ray Jenkins

Gold Canyon Az. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 May 2003 11:43 am    

Quote:
So far I have the 22, 32, 41 mag, 45 Colt and the 44 mag.

Erv, Billy the Kid used the 41 Bisley double action.It used to be in FT. Sumner N.M.?

Ray

------------------
Steeling is still legal in Arizona

Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2003 11:54 am    

The old 41 Colt is an obsolete blackpowder cartidge not to be confused with the 41 S&W Magnum
Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2003 11:56 am    

Anybody into "Rock N Roll"??? (Class Three)
Jim West

Post  Posted 13 May 2003 12:30 pm    

Gary, good to hear your into reloading. Here is my set up.

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 13 May 2003 12:31 pm    

i really dig my Robar RC-50,and my old MG34 mounted on my Zundapp side car.
John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 13 May 2003 12:31 pm    

I shoot a lot a black powder for fun and hunting. Mostly .50-.45-.36 cal long guns. Also .31-.36-.44 Colt's and Rugers when things get serious. A lot of .22s, 30-30s.30-06s and a sweet .22 Hornet. 12g. Remington 1100s, 12g.Ithaca, 12g.Savage.and a 12g. side by side coach gun short barrel for fun.
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 May 2003 12:32 pm    

I have a Concealed-Carry license for:

...Springfield .45 1911-A1 semi-auto pistol
...Colt .38 revolver, Detective-Special
...North American Arms .25LR derringer

I am not a gun hobbiest or a hunter. My weapons are only for self/home defense. They are never fired except as required for license renewal.

Crowbear....when my ship comes in I would like to have one of those European model Hummers with the 30 caliber machine-gun mounted on an elevating platform through the roof that the Big Corporation security people are buying!
www.genejones.com

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 13 May 2003 at 01:45 PM.]

Jim West

Post  Posted 13 May 2003 12:37 pm    

Yo Paul

I'd love to get into class 3 but as you have probably noticed I'm in Kalifornia.

Crowbear

Sold my Robar 50 a year and a half ago, I loved that rifle with the Nightforce scope. Talk about something that can reach out and touch somethin'. I had all the reloading gear including a Hollywood press an RCBS 50 BMG press, dies, lots of powder, brass, bullets, primers etc. etc.. Lots 'O fun!!!!
Anders Brundell

Falun, Sweden
Post  Posted 13 May 2003 12:42 pm    

Hey, Jim!

Your workshop seemes very well equipped! I´m impressed!
I don´t shoot much anymore, but when I do it´s mostly .22 (I can recommend the german Walther GSP for great precision and a fast hammer).
The .357 (Colt Python) and .45 Auto (Colt Governement) are mostly gathering dust - they are a bit hard on wallet and armpit.
Harry Dietrich

Robesonia, Pennsylvania, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 May 2003 1:21 pm    

Hey Jim

That's some set-up you have there. I reload too, but I don't have near the "stuff" you do. I don't do any target shooting anymore, just deer hunting with rifle and the bow. My favorite rifle is my old 7mm Remington Magnum, model BDL, which I bought in 1962. I reload most all rifle cartridges, and 9mm, 38, 357, and 44 Magnum pistol cartridges.

Happy shootin' and pickin'

Harry
Gary Dunn

near Camel City, NC
Post  Posted 13 May 2003 1:48 pm    

Jim,

Nice setup. I see you like RCBS dies, I tend to prefer Hornady myself. Their tungston carbide is slicker than the RCBS carbide.

Paul,

There is a class III range outside of Charlotte, NC. I do know they have a M60 on a CJ7 for rolling pop up's. I have not been there yet but I know the ATF hangs out at it some. A couple of my old work mates use to visit it some. Is your 700PSS the .300 or .308? I want a .308 myself.

[This message was edited by Gary Dunn on 13 May 2003 at 03:19 PM.]

chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2003 1:57 pm    

Sig P229 and a Glock "3-finger" .40. Curiously enough, my dentist, who plays guitar and restores antique phones, has a class 3 and a pretty interesting collection of toys.
Dave Grothusen

Scott City, Ks
Post  Posted 13 May 2003 2:10 pm    

I have collected Rugers for about 35 years. I was in the Ruger Collectors Assn. for years. My RCA member number was 48. Can't afford it like I used too. For you guys that have a CC permit how about your wives? My wife and I have a leather shop and we make a CC purse designed after a saddlebag with a little style. Ya might check out the web site. www.weskanchaps.com . You might also be interested in our "outlaw" project.
I have played steel for a little longer than I have collected guns.
Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2003 2:24 pm    

Crowbear-A MG-34 TNW is now making legal semi auto version-I have their Browning 1919A4 Gene J-after the family tragedy that you experienced I would not blame you if you were against firearms-I am glad that you are an understanding and responsible gunowner Gary D-Having been on the P.D. for some years now I have had the opportunities of firing various fully automatic (thats Rock N Roll) weapons including the M-16,UZI,Thompson,and M3 "GreaseGun" The 700PSS is the .308 with Leupold Tactical 4.5X14 Variable 40mm A.O. Harris Bipod and Super Sling

[This message was edited by PAUL WARNIK on 13 May 2003 at 03:29 PM.]

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 13 May 2003 2:37 pm    

My grandmothers hobby was shooting roofing nails into fence posts with a 22 and stepping backwards a yard and doing it again until she missed 3 times and calling it a day. Cool lady. So I learned back when.
Done trap compititions, and when I was in New Hampshire occasional food hunting on my own 230 acres of land. It was called deer central by some of the locals.

My friend took a moose from his bathroom window while on the john. (In season w/permit) Did Shepards Pie in pumpkins with some of it. The family had a 10 lb cannon for mountain top target competitions and renactments, I used to take a few rounds with that too. His mother was the Animal Control officer.
I used to shoot with them and then cook it, so I am also a game chef; yankee and french. I love to do a stuffed deer game feast, with whatever the boys bring in and what's in the gardens. But haven't had the opportunity in years,

I like Danny's Taurus, I had a couple of Rugers and Remingtons. An ex. S.F. sniper buddy took me to the range (extra long) with his tricked up mini-M-14.
His comment was "You hit what I aim for, and your not not slow about it." From him I take that as a compliment.

Don't have any iron now, I'm not a citizen here, I don't think they'd let me..

[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 13 May 2003 at 03:42 PM.]

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 May 2003 2:47 pm    

...(Paul Warnik)Gene J-after the family tragedy that you experienced I would not blame you if you were against firearms...

Paul, both me and my daughter, (who was shot with seven rounds from a Tec-9), have always known and believed that a gun is an inanimate object and can only cause harm when used irresponsibly or in violation of the law.

For the record....she was not a party to the subsequent litigation trying to make the gun-manufacturers liable for the unlawful actions of Gian Ferri during that San Francisco massacre of July 1993. www.genejones.com

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 13 May 2003 at 04:43 PM.]

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 May 2003 4:08 pm    

Used to have one of just about everything ('cept the black powder stuff), and go through a couple thousand rounds a week. Did my own reloading, cast all my own bullets, etc.. It was time consuming, though, and got to be expensive...even "rollin' my own". Down to a couple now, that's all I need.

Most of the areas where I used to shoot are all built-up now. If fact, it's like playin' music...used to be a lot of fun, and plenty places to do it. Now, well...it just ain't like it used to be.
David Mullis

Rock Hill, SC
Post  Posted 13 May 2003 4:42 pm    

I haven't shot much lately. I did carry the Colt 1911 A-1 out to the range last week to see if I could still find the paper I also have a colt anaconda, stainless, 6" barrell (which is for sale by the way)
Jim West

Post  Posted 13 May 2003 4:43 pm    

quote:
Jim,

Nice setup. I see you like RCBS dies, I tend to prefer Hornady myself. Their tungston carbide is slicker than the RCBS carbide.

Yeah, I got started with them and have been using them ever since. They work fine and I haven't had one problem with them. On my 650 I use Dillon dies except for the calibers they don't sell. I also have some Redding dies, neck sizers and crimp as well as Lee FCD's (factory crimp dies).