| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel guitar in another unlikely place
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2003 8:56 am    

I am a contemporary Jazz music fan and usually keep a Jazz music station from Netscape radio playing constantly on my comupter at work. A few days ago I heard the unmistakable sound of Lloyd Green coming through the speakers. I clicked on the Netscape Radio window and the artist was Earl Klugh, and the song was "I Don't Want to Leave You Alone Anymore" from a 1980 album called "Dream Come True". The song is definitely not Country, but the Steel Guitar sounds great in it and is really out front. As usual, Lloyd knew what to play and when to play it. The album evidently has not been released on CD, but I did find that song on a "Best of Earl Klugh" album. If anyone has the original album, I would like to know if Lloyd was on any more of the cuts.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2003 10:29 am    

I wish I did have it. Klugh is great...very open ears, and with Lloyd Green even better.
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2003 8:09 am    

How better to get a question answered than from the man who did it. Here is Lloyd's observations on working with Earl Klugh, edited slightly and used with his permission.
------------------------------------------

Dear Darvin,

I hadn't thought, for quite some time, of my recordings with Earl Klugh. He impressed me as a thoughtful, sensitive and gentle man in addition to his brilliance as a musician. While I recorded countless thousands of records with innumerable artists, few impressed me as did Earl Klugh. It was one of the honors of my career to have cut 2 albums with him, one being "Dreams Come True", of which I have an unopened copy (I'm on at least 4 of the tunes if memory serves correctly), and another album that either preceded or followed the aforementioned one by a year or two.
Normally I am more specific in my recollections, but in this instance, without further research of my archives, this is all I can offer. Since you are a Jazz afficianonado I felt I should try to fill in a few of the missing bits of information.

Sincerely,
Lloyd Green

---------------------------------------------
According to "All Music Guide", the other album Lloyd played on was "Love Songs" which preceeded "Dream Come True" slightly, and is still in print. AMG also stated that Earl played on his first session at 15 years old.

Thanks again Lloyd.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording