| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Highwaymen Steel Player.
Allan Thompson

Scotland.
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2003 3:50 am    

Can somebody please tell me who played steel with the Highwaymen. Thanks in advance.
Sidney Malone

Buna, TX
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2003 4:01 am    

That would be the great Robbie Turner. He was also playing for Waylon for the last 10 years or so.
Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2003 6:44 am    

I thought Fred Newell played for Waylon.
Sidney Malone

Buna, TX
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2003 9:00 am    

I think Fred Newell did play for Waylon at times and he played on the Old Dogs album with Waylon, Mel Tillis, Bobby Bare & Jerry Reed.

I saw Waylon 3-4 times through the 90's and as recent as about 6 months before he passed away and each time it was Robbie on steel.

I talked to Robbie at the Dallas show a few years back while Waylon was in a short retirement and he was telling me a lot of good things about Waylon & Jessi and a few road stories. He is one awesome player!!
Mike Jones

Goodlettsville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2003 9:12 am    

Talked to Robbie the other day and he said that he is going out this summer with the Dixie Chics. Should be a great show Rob and the Chics.
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2003 1:27 pm    

Hi When I was NYC in '94 or '95 my friend Sheri was reporter for NY1 and asked me to do camera for her at The Highway Men concert in Central Park. We also did interviews with Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings.
These guys were totally real on or off camera not a put on attitude at all. Who you see is who you get. Loved watching the H. Angels jump when Waylon asked for anything.

I was ushered on stage to film close-ups during performance, including a very hot steel player in close-up. Real fine playing! Never caught his name though.
And of course Willie. He is the most magnetic, charismatic stage performer I have ever seen. No trick lights, just him and that ole guitar.

I was talking with several of them including the steel player and it was just so back porch. And of course great music.
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2003 7:44 pm    

Robbie Turner is one of the greatest players out there. He gets his talent honest as his dad Doyle and mom Berniece were in Hank Sr.'s early Drifting Cowboys band. Last saw him at sound check in Ft Worth as Fred Jack and I came to Ft. Worth to attend a birthday party for Ralph Mooney hosted by Waylon. This was about two months before Waylon passed from us. As I said, Robbie is one of the greatest out there. Jody.
Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2003 8:09 pm    

Jody, that was a fun day ! This thread caused a pleasant memory to pass by ... sometime in the 70's Jimmy Bryant and I were living in Thomasville, Ga. Robbie's mom and dad brought him to Thomasville and left him
for 2-3 weeks. Said they wanted him to get some experience. The day we were in Dallas Robbie told Waylon, "fred knew me when I was a little boy!" I said "Robbie, you were never a little boy!" regards, fred
Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2003 8:10 pm    

Jody, that was a fun day ! This thread caused a pleasant memory to pass by ... sometime in the 70's Jimmy Bryant and I were living in Thomasville, Ga. Robbie's mom and dad brought him to Thomasville and left him
for 2-3 weeks. Said they wanted him to get some experience. The day we were in Dallas Robbie told Waylon, "fred knew me when I was a little boy!" I said "Robbie, you were never a little boy!" regards, fred
Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2003 8:11 pm    

Some nights I can't get one post tonite I got three! fred
Don Walters

Saskatchewan Canada
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2003 11:14 am    

Quote:
Robbie is one of the greatest out there.

Oh man, that may be the understatement of the year! If you haven't got Robbie's CDs They're an absolute must for any collection.

Get them from b0b. check here