| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Joe's comments on the new Brooklyn Cowboys CD
JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2003 9:44 am    

I re-edited Joe's comments, as he had some to add.

Joe Henry recently bought "Dodging Bullets" and "The Other Man in Black" by the Brooklyn Cowboys featuring Buddy Cage
his comments:

I wanted to write to you anyway. They arrived yesterday and I just listened to them once more, they´re absolutely fantastic! Especially "Dodging Bullets" is far-freakin-out!!! It´s not only about Buddy´s steel playing but totally great songs all the way. The first CD was a good one already, but the new one has - something special! The first impression is that it sounds somewhat more aggressive and "dirty" than the debut album, maybe because they produced it themselves this time so it´s a lot closer to the way they sound when playing live. Some tunes remind me so much of the New Riders (even Walter´s voice sounds a bit like Dawson at times...), others are -totally original, you see? There´s a lot of variety on that album, from driving rock to good ol´country tunes, a song with a hard "New Orleans" beat (Trouble With A Capital T) or a slightly jazzy nostalgic piece complete with clarinet that reminds me a bit of the old Charlatans (The Gift) and a couple of beautiful ballads as well as stunning vocal duets with the two guest singers, Joy Lynn White and Lona Heins (why do they do that so rarely in today´s country music?)
They´re all brilliant. And those imaginative lyrics and melodies. You know, that´s exactly the kind of music I can identify with. It´s such a pleasure to hear a thing like that still being done these days. Hard to believe it was recorded in Nashville - it actually sounds very "un-Nashville", if you know what I mean.
Cage´s playing is superb throughout - he seems to have lost that wild, out-of-control thing from the NRPS days and plays with great taste and maturity instead, the right things at the right place and still unmistakably him. Walter sure knows how to play a mean rock´n´roll guitar.
But there are many different styles on "Dodging Bullets" and they know how to do it all very well. The whole thing is full of surprises.
It is quickly becoming one of my "Desert Island" discs. I hope that the band will go on on for a long time to come and that I can see them again. Wish I could find a band to play in that wants to do that kind of music... just dreaming here.
Those CDs were really something I needed, especially in these days where I can use something to cheer me up. So, many thanks again.
Peace,

Joe H.

I have both of These CD's available. E-me for details.."Bullets" is $15, "MIB" is 8$ and is Live. The Cowbys are a real throwback to the early days of California Country Rock-Cage says it's better than the NRPS, and he may be right. Imagine John Dawson Meets Gram Parsons and they combine bands and you've got it-only sober. Absolutely killer stuff.

John

------------------
Fulawka D-10 9&5
Mullen Royal Precision D-10 8 & 5
"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"
www.johnbarnold.com/pedalsteel
www.buddycage.net

http://www.nrpsmusic.com/index.html

[This message was edited by JB Arnold on 11 January 2003 at 09:46 AM.]

[This message was edited by JB Arnold on 11 January 2003 at 12:56 PM.]

Joerg Hennig

Bavaria, Germany
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2003 12:53 pm    

You´re too fast for me, John! I wanted to add something - check your e-Mail.
JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2003 12:58 pm    

Hi Joe

No, I got 'em! just reposted them above! Thanks for the review!

and I'm waiting to hear what that song is on MIB

JB

------------------
Fulawka D-10 9&5
Mullen Royal Precision D-10 8 & 5
"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"
www.johnbarnold.com/pedalsteel
www.buddycage.net

http://www.nrpsmusic.com/index.html

[This message was edited by JB Arnold on 11 January 2003 at 01:04 PM.]