| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Massage for Buddy Emmons
Wayne Cox

Chatham, Louisiana, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2002 10:16 am    

No, not really, but well-deserved compliments can often be soothing and uplifting anyway. Buddy, I do not know if I would have become a steel player or not,without your influence. This I do know;if it had not been for you,I would have given up and quit many times. Because of the inspiration you have given me,through your music,I have ultimately had a rich and rewarding life. Every time I would "get in a rut", frustrated & bored,Buddy would come up with a new innovative sound/lick/tune that would free me from the mind-set I was locked into. I wish there was some way to repay Buddy for all he has given me by just being himself. Buddy, your hard work has paid off in ways that you may never fully comprehend in this life. Thanks isn't enough of a down payment on my debt, but maybe it will be a good start. Happy Thanksgiving! and THANK YOU!~~W.C.~~
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2002 10:27 am    

My sentiments as well Buddy. We all know you are the best steel guitarist that ever
lived but still you make yourself very accessible here on the forum and I appreciate that very much. I really admire the way you are quick to respond to anything anyone asks you. You are a class person. I would loved to have known you personally.
Jerry
Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2002 10:33 am    

My sentiments exacly...................
Long live the big "E"
BF

------------------
Bill Ford
Stephen LeBlanc

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2002 10:59 am    

Yep Buddy was/is the best.
Perry Hansen

Bismarck, N.D.
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2002 11:06 am    

Me too, Buddy. Sure glad I didn't break your fingers that time.
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2002 11:08 am    

Buddy, please don't read anything into what has been said that appears to be in the past-tense. You are still the greatest and we look forward to you being around many years and I too hope to be around a long time but since in hasn't happened in 63 years it just don't seem likely.
Jerry
RMckee

Broken Arrow, OK
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2002 11:35 am    

Wow! What can you say about someone such as Buddy Emmons. I will never forget years ago as a teen-ager being in TG&Y, waiting on the family to shop. I was over in electronics as usual, looking over the albums. I glanced over at the TV selection and there was a woman singing. I don't remember much about that, however, I remember seeing a rather short, heavy-set guitar player who was playing in a manner I had never heard. He had a funny contraption on his Peavey that could bend his strings like nothing I had ever heard. Then they panned over to the steel guitar. There was a dark haired guy wearing the coolest looking derby. I had never heard such picking in all my life. Later I learned I had seen Buddy Emmons and Phil Baugh for my first time. I remember hearing Buddy play at St. Louis in 1984 and 1985, the two years I was able to attend. Man, oh man. He had just cut "Expedition E9". His wife was so kind at the record table. I bought that cassette, the black album and the white album. Then to top that all off, Buddy and Ray started the Swing Shift series. I just had to get all of those albums. In 1986 at Dallas, I was able to get a seat on the inside aisle, just about 4 or 5 rows back from the front. I saw him do what he does, just I still could not get over it! So smooth. So tasteful. So pretty. He played "Aura Lee". OH man, it was sooo pretty. Thanks Buddy for all the great records.

Randy McKee
Doug Seymour

Jamestown NY USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2002 12:20 pm    

One thing we could all do to help show our appreciation to Buddy for his years of "leading the way" would be to buy his & Hal's Bell Cove Jam video! What a treat!...I don't know if there are other Emmons videos, but that one is great and deserves to be in your collection!
Whip Lashaway

Monterey, Tenn, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2002 12:28 pm    

Buddy, I know it may seem like just words to you, as you receive acolades all the time. However, you have been a BIG part of a lot of joy and happiness in my life. I probably would not have had the interest in playing steel had it not been for your influence. You continually raise the bar and give us all something new to strive for. Though I will never reach the bar, I have countless hours of joy striving for it. Being a steel player is as much a part of my life as being a husband, dad, grandpa, brother, uncle, etc... It's part of who I am. I cannot imagine what my life would have turned out like without your influence. Thank you.
Whip

------------------
Whip Lashaway
Sierra E9/B6 12 string
Sierra E9/B6 14 string
Randy Beavers

Lebanon,TN 37090
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2002 12:55 pm    

Wow...I thought about quitting a few times after hearing him!
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2002 1:39 pm    

In the 1970s I only had a vague idea what a steel guitar was - then someone played me the Black album, and my idle curiosity turned into an obsession; I don't know whether to thank you, Buddy, or send you a bill!

Now I've just got through listening to the new Ray Price album, and I've got 'goose-bumps' again.

You're the best there's ever been.....

------------------
Roger Rettig
Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2002 2:04 pm    

Check out what some other players have said about The Big E!

------------------
My best,
Ernie

The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com

Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2002 2:28 pm    

Buddy, i've been playing close to six years now. I can play most any song I want to...but when I want to get serious, It's Expo E9th and "This Cold War". I've learned so much about the pedal steel from your tab for that one song.

I don't sound nothing like Buddy Emmons when I play it....but them thats listening think it sounds pretty cool.

I want to thank you for just being Buddy Emmons and doing what you like to do....playing the Jimmy Dickens out of a pedal steel. As the old beer comericial said...I love ya man.

Bob.

[This message was edited by Bob Carlson on 22 November 2002 at 02:30 PM.]

[This message was edited by Bob Carlson on 25 November 2002 at 09:30 AM.]

RON PRESTON

Dodson, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2002 3:49 pm    

I could sit here for HOURS, and not come up with anything that hasn't been said before. So, I guess a simple "THANKS, and God Bless You, Buddy"...."Your the Greatest".
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2002 3:58 pm    

Quote:
Massage for Buddy Emmons

It's the least we can do for you... ...and please don't ever "throw in the towel"
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2002 5:15 pm    

Buddy, I first saw you in 1981 at the Steel Guitar Convention. I cannot explain how I felt when you came out on stage. I attended a seminar in Mesquite, Texas and you took time out of what you were teaching that day to show us some of your other licks. In my opinion you are the complete package when it comes to this industry. Most players look for your sound and duplicate your licks. I bought the video you and Hal Rugg recorded and I watch it almost daily. If I had a derby it would sure be off to you. I will be ordering more Emmons videos and recordings. Of course I have almost all of them already...Paul King
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2002 10:59 pm    

Thanks guys. This is the nicest and most deserved thread I have seen on the Forum in a long time. The players try to play like Buddy and the builders try to build them like Buddy designed them. Just note how much all pedal steels resemble the very first Emmons guitar that Buddy designed.
He designed it, built it and played it like no other has ever done.
Jerry
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2002 1:12 am    

another Forum Massage for Him,
i bought the "Black Album" 30 years ago and wore it out.
it was one of my favorite lps along w: Jimmy Smith and Wes Montgommery.
i did'nt know anything about a PSG until my uncle laid a Maverick on me 15 years ago.
i ended up w: the fever and moved up to a D10.
and thanks to Buddy's courses, i have been learning C6 w: i love.
i've never had the chance to see Monsieur Emmons live and do regret it but i've loved every moment of the Musik he's played over the years.
Thanks Buddy E

------------------
Steel what?

[This message was edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 23 November 2002 at 01:14 AM.]

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2002 7:31 am    

Around 1973 or 74 DeVere's Guitar Store in Indianola Iowa brought Buddy and Johnny Gimble to DesMoines for a seminar/jam. This was the first time I got to see Buddy play live and up close. I was spellbound for 3 hrs. Just watching him warm up with a sequence of single note scales with flawless technique for the first 5 minutes was worth the money.
I felt sorry for the janitor at the end of the day, having to scoop up all those messy steel players' jaws into a barrel.
What a career! Now for that autobiography
of "Buddy Emmons Road Stories" And a new CD.
Dennis
Buddy Emmons

Hermitage, TN USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2002 8:26 am    

Thanks Wayne and to all of you for the nice words. Expressing your self through a musical instrument and connecting with someone is a blessing beyond the talent it takes to do so. That connection creates a bond between the player and listener that establishes their mutual feelings toward music. The feeling Jerry Byrd gave me through his music has never diminished, and it's been a life long endeavor to reach for his standard and capture the feeling I had while listening to him. The same applies to other great steel guitar players I've built my foundation upon. My biggest thrill is having been able to pass their legacy on to others by integrating their influence into my attitude toward music, creating another dimension to draw from, and having it accepted in the way you all have expressed.

[This message was edited by Buddy Emmons on 23 November 2002 at 08:27 AM.]

Buck Grantham R.I.P.

Denham Springs, LA. USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2002 10:27 am    

Buddy, I have always loved your playing and you are still one of my biggest influences on my playing. I have strived to capture the tone that you get. Haven't got it yet but doing so has helped me improve my tone drasticly. Thanks for your help.
Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2002 2:23 pm    

Buddy;

You've got a way with words! Your grasp of the language is close to the grasp you have on the steel guitar. Excellent!

I agree with your statement. Only I replace Jerry's name with "Buddy Emmons". Thanks from the bottom of my heart and soul!

------------------
My best,
Ernie

The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com

Steel tryin

Macon, Ga.
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2002 6:18 am    

I'm still hopeful Buddy will start playing left handed so I might have a chance to
"sound like Buddy Emmons
Rich Weiss

Woodland Hills, CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2002 8:27 pm    

As Ernie said, Buddy, I'm amazed at how well you express youself with words. Your words are as expressive as your notes. Now where's that damn autobiography?!

Dennis Manuel

Quesnel, B.C., Canada
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2002 7:59 am    

The first time I can remember hearing someone play steel guitar was at the tender age of three. "Buddy" was playing and it was his playing that inspired me to play steel guitar. What a positive influence Buddy's playing made in my life.
A huge thank you also goes out to my friend "Randy Pokeda" as he is the one that invited me over to his house and gave me my first lesson.

[This message was edited by Dennis Manuel on 27 November 2002 at 08:09 AM.]