| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How many marriages have dissolved because of the steel guita
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2002 10:08 pm    

I've heard steel guitarist have a tendancy to get divorced at a higher average, than say Tamberourine, bassoon, glockenschpeel or harpsichord players. Is there any truth to this statement/belief?
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2002 10:13 pm    

My first wife absolutely hated the sound of me tuning my steel guitar. I did spend a lot of time trying to get it in tune back then.

Anyway, shortly after the divorce we split a joint tax refund. I took my share and bought an electronic tuner.

The current Mrs. Lee has never heard me tune up. I'm not taking any chances.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic), Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6), Roland Handsonic
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2002 11:32 pm    

Count me in on that.....Divorced January 2002...from a 10 year marrige.....no worries...I'm a better Man for it; and happier than I've been since I can remember.
Ricky

[This message was edited by Ricky Davis on 14 October 2002 at 12:32 AM.]

Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 2:55 am    

Well, how about that? I just might be in good company shortly!! I only wish it was our playing ability that we had in common!
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 4:26 am    

bOb
Dont even think about it,,everyone loves you
To know you is too love you,,play off in a sound proof room,,I have been doing that for 48 years and it works fine.

Whats that tune recorded by Mack Davis some years back? something that would relate to this.

Love is most important,,,,your'e playing comes first Hide in the closet like I do

Hey Ray
What are you? a trouble maker? edited to close the door,,,Im practicing with head phones,,,,shhhhhhhhh

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 14 October 2002 at 05:27 AM.]

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 4:39 am    

I knew when one of my marriages was over. I got to a gig, opened the 1000 up, put the legs, pedal board and rods on, sat it up and all the strings were cut. Thank goodness I always got to a job early and always had a seat full of strings. In those days, I used tuning forks to set the root tones and tuned the rest by ear. I had an E, an A and a C and used to tap them on my left wrist and hold them over the pickup so I could match the tone and be in tune. That was 1924 I think....

Regards, Paul
Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 5:05 am    

Paul, is that anything like a pitch fork that I used on the farm?? regards,fred
Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 5:08 am    

"Big Jim" Webb told me that its the Dobro that has "broken more homes than hard liquor"
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 5:21 am    

My wife always reminds me that, before we got married, I informed her that she would always be my "third neck". Oomph! Do I know how to sweet-talk a girl, or what? Yikes!

Well, at least we're still married; happily, I think (yeah but what does she think?)

[This message was edited by Jim Cohen on 14 October 2002 at 06:22 AM.]

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 7:03 am    

Steel guitar broke up my first marriage. I simply couldn't handle a wife that played better than I did.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 8:37 am    

This is turning out to be quite interesting. No longer do I feel entirely alone in this department. Of course, I don't have a lot of experience in "ex's" but I've heard rumors that it does get easier with experience.
Good thinking b0b....no reason to take unnecessary chances.
Well Ricky, I tho't I had it made after 24 years.......but then again....???

Hey Jody, I'm NOT "a trouble maker"...I don't think... but I do think a lot and therefrom arises many still unanswered questions that I attribute to an inquiring mind. Oh well........
Paul...that was kinda tacky on her part.
At least she didn't steal two legs off of your g'tar (from the same side) that would have been a real obstacle in trying to deal with her on the level in all future contacts.
What? You didn't have a chrome plated pitch pipe?.......circa 1940's?
Jim, rumor has it that you're a silver tongued devil. Any truth in that?
Herb, that's completely understandable.
Okay, let's hear from you quiet Forumites that're just sitting there letting your mind wonder. Okay?

Carl West

La Habra, CA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 8:45 am    

Married 48 years here, Good going Jody. But I gotta laugh outta the wife that played better . . That's GREAT !
NOTE: Best to tune with head set !

Carl West
Emmons LaGrande lll
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 9:12 am    

Herb: Don't leave us hanging......is she still playing and if so, what's her stage name ?? Now where was that thread about Johnny and Joan Cox...........

Regards, Paul
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 9:22 am    

Ray
I dont know how many times you have been married,,you never told me your age,,but I did learn that you are soooo old,,,,that you
have no birth certificate and you are considered "Public Domain". Get in the closet
like me,,,its dark in here,but safe.

Herb,,,what tunings did your ex play?,,or was
that a secret that broke up the marriage.

Was her neck wood or aluminum? I could have said her head,,was wood but I didnt want
to start something here,
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 9:25 am    

..Jody..what is that song by Mack Davis? The song I keep remembering is: "Happiness is Lubbock in My Rear View Mirror". Is is related?.....Relieve my suspense?
wwww.genejones.com
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 9:40 am    

Regarding my first marriage, you guys need to pay more attention to "smiley faces," and my tendency to include schtick in my posts.

Cornell Hurd has occasionally referred to me as "the Corbett Monica of the Hillbillies."

In reality, no smiley faces or nuthin', my only marriage is the one that now enriches my life. Dr. Kathy plays a little guitar and piano, but not enough to hurt my playing.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 10:13 am    

I once had a close call (almost got married).
My fiance at the time wanted me to stop buying guitars. That was all right with me as a relationship is about compromise, but I drew the line when she expected me to give up dating!!
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 10:14 am    

Herb
Whats "Schtick" mean????
Terry Edwards

Florida... livin' on spongecake...
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 10:46 am    

I once met an old fiddle player who said he went through 4 wives trying to learn the fiddle. I imagine steel players might have a similar dilemma! As for me, my wife says she don't mind cause I'm always home and she knows where she can find me when I go into my cave!

Terry
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 11:02 am    

Well let's see, wife #1 left before the steel guitar, but in part because I was on a music path and she wanted to live in Beverly Hills, where she now resides.

#2, it tuned out, was having an affair with a guy in Santa Barbara and wanted to live with him on the weekends and me during the week, she explained that it would expand my consciousness and awareness of relationships. I didn't agree. My obsession with music probably had a lot to do with the demise of that one.

#3 gave me the classic "you have to quit this music stuff (<--edited for the Forum) and go to work selling insurance products (at the company she worked for), or I'm leaving." She moved in with her fiance, an IRS agent, who sold cocaine on the side. He made a lot more money than I did. Really, I'm not making this up. The issue here is, it was a musician that she fell in love with 7 years before, not an insurance agent. The sinister side of this is that the taking away of personal identity is a way of conquering a person. Any psychologist can tell you what happens to a person who has lost their identity.

So of course, the fact of the matter is a lot more complicated than just the steel guitar. The steel guitar and all of the studio things are just the most visible manifestation of the relationship problems.

When I met my current, 11 years ago, she said that I should spend more time writing music and practising since that was what made me the happiest....need I say more.
Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 11:08 am    

Music and booze goes togather. Not so much now as it did back in the olden days. I think the drinking ended a lot.

I'm lucky, 48 years and still have the same one. But I haven't been playing out in quite a few year either though, and I found acting stupid just came natural for me so I saved $40.00 a night not buying booze.

Bob.

[This message was edited by Bob Carlson on 14 October 2002 at 04:38 PM.]

Rex Thomas

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 11:19 am    

In my case, it was steel guitar that STARTED a bad marriage.
Thankfully, my present wife of 12 yrs. (ain't a record, but we're happy) will start entering the office doing the hula if I'm working on C6 stuff. She's Filipina, lived in Hawaii about 12 yrs. Good distraction, IMO.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 11:19 am    

OK, 1983, Divorced from first wife..she hated me, the Steel, the Strat , the Tele'..she hated all of us. We hated her too.

I remarried but was a little smarter, I married a gal ( Bonnie) who's dad was a professional Steel player and she sang on the bandstand with him from a very young age. And we had the same name !

Whadaya' make of that ! She even bought me guitars as presents !

tp
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 12:12 pm    

Quote:
and we had the same name

Now I'm confused....Tony, your real name is Bonnie?, or her name is Tony?
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 12:16 pm    

Howard, yes..thats right !