| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tommy White fights for his SOUL at the OPRY!!!!!!!!!!!
Steel tryin

Macon, Ga.
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2002 2:56 pm    

Last night, I was completely FLABBERGHASTED
at the Jack Green arrangement of NIGHT LIFE.
A song that was DEFINED by Steel Guitar and
Tommy has to play over Jack in the last 3 measures in order to be heard. I'm sorry
for Tommy and for the state of country music.
JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2002 2:59 pm    

MightI suggest that for a rational analysis of this situation, everyone read Herb Steiner's post on the related thread.

JB

------------------
Fulawka D-10 9&5
Mullen Royal Precision D-10 8 & 5
"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"
www.johnbarnold.com/pedalsteel
www.buddycage.net

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2002 3:00 pm    

What an amazing insult.
I suggest you let Tommy White worry about his own soul.
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2002 3:43 pm    

I was playing Saturday night and taped the Opry. We watched it when we got home and I told my wife Tommy could sure help that song but I wouldn't worry too much about Tommy. He doesn't need to prove anything to anyone.
We know what he can do and we would have loved to heard him more in "Nightlife" and I know he would have liked to have been allowed to play more in it but thats just one song. He gets many chances to shine every Saturday night and you can bet he does just that.
Jerry
Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2002 1:56 pm    

It pays($) Tommy the same either way, we are the ones that had to suffer, not getting to hear him do a great instrumental break in the middle. I had the same problem last summer working with Jack live, the band arrangments were done by a piano player that had no interest in the original , authentic way everyone else wanted to hear the song done. As far as Tommy? I doubt that he cares one way or the other, possibly a little frustrating that a well known arrangment is changed for no good reason when we all are known to play it the way it was originally written. Having had a talk recently with Jack's (now) band leader, there are several problems going on in the band. Musically that is. But, it's none of my business anymore. I wish them all the luck. The fact that folks are realizing the arrangments are changed and not likeing them shows that these changes have not been made for the better.
Com'on Jack, let's get the stuff done the way folks want to hear them!!
STEEL GUITAR!!
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2002 2:17 pm    

Quote:
...the band arrangments were done by a piano player that had no interest in the original , authentic way everyone else wanted to hear the song done.

Once again, Mr. Seymour tells it like it is! Thanks, Bobbe
Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2002 5:14 pm    

Thanks Bobbe.
B.F.

------------------
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2002 8:42 pm    

I thought Night Life was a Willie Nelson tune. The steel part didn't come along until Ray Price recorded it.
Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2002 4:24 am    

Night Life was a "Willie Nelson" tune.....
( That is...... He penned it)

Ray Price just brought it to "LIFE" with the Steel work we all know and love.

[This message was edited by Bill Crook on 29 August 2002 at 05:25 AM.]

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2002 9:53 am    

You are right B0b, of course, but I don't think Willie Nelson had it on one his own records until five years or so after Ray Price's recording. I think Willie's first release of Nightlife was on the album called something like "Willie Nelson Sings His Own Songs." That may have been as late as 1965.
Chris Lucker
Wayne Morgan

Rutledge, TN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2002 1:52 pm    

I heard Willie talking, on a talk show,,said he carried the song in his pocket for a long while,,had no interest by anyone, so he sold it to Ray for ten bucks.

Wayne
Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2002 5:11 pm    

Actually Willie sold it to the same guy he sold Family Bible to, I think. One guys name was Buskirk. Also Willie has a couple of versions with steel on them of Night Life. But! Ray Price never had ownership in the song. Just because you record it doesn't mean it belongs to you. As far as the Opry thing, just because Ray recorded Night Life with steel doesn't mean everbody else has to. I once heard a real knock-out version of B.B. King doing it, with no steel and it really cooked. If we don't quit closing that steel door on everything that's a little different we will soon have no Opry. Believe me I love steel as much as as the rest of you, but, we need to draw the line and let the music speak for itself. Besides those of you that are upset, look at it this way, When you are where Jack is in life, working the Opry and getting paid for it you can then do the songs your way.

------------------
1985 Emmons push-pull, Session 500, Nashville400, 65 re-issue Fender Twin, Fender Tele

Steel tryin

Macon, Ga.
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2002 5:14 am    

We talk at length about the future of Steel Guitar the machinations of rock applications,
influences of Sacred Steel etc.
If Jack had let Tommy loose on Night Life
it would have been "BACK TO THE FUTURE".
I'm sure most people would have been blown away with one of the GREAT Steel Intro and Breaks
of All Time. And the New listeners would just have said, "WOW"

[This message was edited by Steel tryin on 30 August 2002 at 06:15 AM.]

BobG

Holmdel, NJ
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2002 7:06 am    

If you wanted to introduce "Night Life" to your band, as a potential addition to your set list,which version would you request?

------------------
Bob Grado, Williams D10 (lefty), Peavey 1000,
Profex ll.

nick allen

France
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2002 7:15 am    

If that question is directed to pedal steel players - you get one answer.
Put the same question to a singer, a guitar player, a piano player, etc, etc, you'd probably get different answers...
It's called live and let live... and if you want it played your way, play it yourself
Nick
Steel tryin

Macon, Ga.
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2002 8:39 am    

The best version is on Ray Price Greatest hits 2 CD collection.
John Cadeau

Surrey,B.C. Canada
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2002 9:20 am    

Not being rude, but my take is, that it's Jack Green's version of the song, on Jack Green's show. He can do the song however he wants to do it.
John.
Ray Jenkins

Gold Canyon Az. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2002 9:40 am    

Quote:
Actually Willie sold it to the same guy he sold Family Bible to, I think. One guys name was Buskirk.

Your right Craig,it was Paul Buskirk.He owned a music store in Pasadena Texas,at the time Willie was working for him and teaching guitar.Sold it for $150.00.Three writers got credit for the song,Paul Willie and I forget the other name(Jason Odd will for sure know),however later on they gave the song back to Willie and he is the only credit writer of the song now.
The real knocked out version was done at shows when the band was,Jimmy Day Steel,Johnny Bush Drums,David Zettner Bass and Willie on Lead and Vocals.Too bad that group never recorded it.(Maybe they did)
Ray

------------------
Steeling is still legal in Arizona
Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2002 1:09 pm    

Jack Green can do it however he wants to is true, I can turn my TV off too, anytime I want to . That was one of those times I wanted to. Sorry a chance went by when I could have heard a great steel solo from Tommy White also, we all missed a good chance here to hear one. Yep, Jack can do it anyway he wants to, I can also watch the learning channel.
By the way,on the demo of "Night Life", the steel part was intact,(via Paul Buskirk) This is maybe why the master was done the way it was!!
Best version of this song? Check out Rob Parkers.
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2002 2:04 pm    

Quote:
If you wanted to introduce "Night Life" to your band, as a potential addition to your set list,which version would you request?
Buddy's. It was actually the first version I heard. I like the song better without a singer.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic) Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6)
Steel tryin

Macon, Ga.
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2002 6:38 am    

I find it interesting that most money making music presently is REMIX REHASH of previous
songs and styles to an unsuspecting young audience. Why is there this need to MOVE ON in steel guitar. Why not just reintroduce
the STANDARDS when it's appropriate. This thread was a little about Jack Greene and more about Steel Guitar STANDARDS.