| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  NTSGA..WOW what a show !
Tommy Butler

Post  Posted 9 Jul 2002 8:39 pm    

Buddy was TONE 2-D BONE. What a show. It was great. Everybody that is anybody was there.
Sure wish Smiley could have found the switch to the A/C. Joe Wright was dripping all over the floor. Who says you can't play steel and loose weight at the same time.
Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2002 9:24 pm    

------------------
My best,
Ernie

The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2002 4:07 am    

I normally work on Tuesday and have never made one of these jams. I payed a guy to cover my route last night and it was well worth it. The Big E was the man once again and everyone showed their appreciation. Everytime I hear this man I hear something new and last night I heard a bunch of new things. He's still woodshedding and the most dangerous man on the planet on this instrument. How about that all you young players? He still works at his instrument!Some fans on the stage would've been a big help to these guys. They were playing under some very hot conditions. If Joe Wright has some of the pictures or video and if there is going be a recording made available I'd like to be put on the list to buy one of each. Johnny Cox, Robby Turner and Junior Knight were on fire the set before as well. That S-12 Junior was playing was right in there with the D-10's. A great show from start to finish.

[This message was edited by Frank Parish on 10 July 2002 at 05:10 AM.]

Frank Estes

Huntsville, AL
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2002 6:14 am    

It was a real privilege to finally meet Buddy and of course, see and hear him play live. All of the things I heard about his live performances were true. After the show, I shook his hand and told him, "They don't call you the master for nothing!"

Hal was flawless as usual. Hal would play incredibly fast and clean on the C6 and that would make most of us mortals melt under such pressure, but it did not phase Buddy. He just responded with his own incredible soulful phrasing. It was really something to witness.

Buddy and Hal played for about 2 hours and Joe Wright was video taping it. I don't know if they will sell it, but they definitely should. No need to edit out any of the tunes. Here are some of the ones I remember: (some tunes I have heard but do not know the name and few others I think have not heard before)

Blue Jade
Take me as I am
Way to Survive
Killer Joe
Relaxin'
Watch What Happens
Home in San Antone
Four Five Times (Buddy Sang)
Back Home in Indiana

and many more...

Junior Knight knocked me out too. He sounded great on that 12 Bb universal Carter as well as on Johnny Cox's Zum. Johnny played flawlessly on Junior's guitar. I think he can play on practically any tuning or setup! Robby sounded great as well. He played some stuff on C6 I had never heard him do before.

It was great to shake hands with various heros: Weldon Myrick, Hal Rugg, John Hughey, Lloyd Green, Jay Dee Maness, Larry Sasser.

I got to meet Mike Cass.

Fiddler extraordinare, Jenee Keener was there.

It was a real thrill to briefly talk with Mike Johnson. He really has had the biggest influence on my playing from 1985-95 when he played on TNN.

The NTSGA needs to find a bigger and cooler place to hold these jams! Thankfully my Alabama bros: Dale Davis, Ted Crabtree, and Pete Harris had a seat available at their table.

------------------
Frank Estes - 1978 Emmons D-10 8+6 #2441D

[This message was edited by Frank Estes on 10 July 2002 at 07:43 AM.]

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2002 10:23 am    

Last night,I died & went to heaven! Steel guitar heaven!! I don't think that anyone has invented an expletive,yet,to describe last night's NTSGA "SuperJam". The "cake" was GREAT,but the "frosting" was even GREATER!!
The "frosting",being Hal & "E". Those poor guys were on that stage,sweatin' their "butts" off,& NEVER complained once,which is the mark of a true professional. You gotta remember,these guys were NOT GETTIN' PAID to do this. This was a labor of love on their part!! A "mutual admiration society",if you will. And,lest we forget the "rhythm section",(David Smith:bass,Rick Vanaugh:drums,& Earl Erb:rhythm guitar),these guys were TROUPERS,the whole night! I,for one,will never forget this night!! On behalf of NTSGA prez Jan Jones,& the rest of the board,& ALL of the members,I just want to say "thanks" for supporting us in our efforts in trying to bring you,the steel guitar fans,the BEST shows we possibly can.
www.ntsga.com

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© ars longa,
mm vita brevis
-=sr€=-

Frank Estes

Huntsville, AL
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2002 10:36 am    

Smiley,

You so right about that backup band. They were incredible!

I have added a Buddy Emmons MP3 clip to my music page in addition to some Mike Johnson clips: http://frankestesmba.com/music.html

P.S. Buddy, please tell me how you did that last part of that clip of you on my site. Please. That lick is a must if we are to play that tune and I cannot quite figure it out.
Buddy Emmons

Hermitage, TN USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2002 11:33 am    

The strings for the series of harmonies are 5 & 6, 4 & 5, 3 & 4, and 2 & 3. The first harmony starts two frets below the root position on strings 5 and 6. From there, play harmonies two, three and four at the root position with strings 5 & 4, 4 & 3, and 3 & 2. After playing strings 3 & 2, let it sustain and slide a fret back, press pedal five, and play strings 4 & 3, 5 & 4, and 6 & 5. After playing 6 & 5, slide another fret back and you'll end up two frets below the root.
Frank Estes

Huntsville, AL
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2002 11:43 am    

Buddy, Thank you for the quick reply! Wow! I was not sure which pedals or what the thinking was. It seems like you are doing that during the "around the horn" part of the progression--2-5-1.

You're the best!
Richard Plummer

nashville tennessee
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2002 12:28 pm    

Yes it was extremely hot last night.Hopefully next time there will be adiquate air,or they will get another place to play.I also would like to be put on the list,if the video goes up for sale.It will be awsome.
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2002 2:02 pm    

So I'm thinking there was a zero or negative HIGH VACUUM FACTOR; Right ??

Regards, Paul
Bob Farlow

Marietta,GA,
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2002 3:11 pm    

This was my first NTSGA jam, and it sure won't be the last. It was incredible from start to finish. I sat next to Smiley, and I swear I saw him have at least three orgasms while Big E and Hal were playing! Super Jam it was!
Gaylon Mathews

Jasper, Georgia
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2002 3:26 pm    

Bob, that was just a glazed donut in Smiley's pocket. I think Mike Weirauch stuck it there.

------------------
Gaylon's Homepage
www.geocities.com/nashville/1064

Craig Collins & High Lonesome
www.craigcollins.org

[This message was edited by Gaylon Mathews on 10 July 2002 at 04:28 PM.]

Dyke Corson

Fairmount, IL USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2002 7:05 pm    

My wife and I were lucky enough to be in the front row all night! This was the BEST steel show I have ever seen, it was fantastic!! There should be no doubt as to Buddy's playing abitlity right now, I heard new stuff from him last night that blew me away! I'll never forget this show, a BIG thanks to Smiley and everyone involved!!
Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2002 7:28 pm    

Buddy Emmons, yep, the undisputed "King of Kings". A legacy that will not soon if ever be duplicated. Someone needs to write a book on this guy! Future generations need to know just what a player he is . I really can't imagine another player to come along and do for the steel guitar world what this great player has done. I, along with many others wouldn't be playing if not for Buddy. Plus, the nice personal deeds he has done for so many. Somehow, someway, he needs to be honored soon in person and shown how much we all appreciate his imprint on the world of steel guitar. How about it, any Ideas" Carl Dickson? Ernie? Tommy? Mike? Peavey? Paul? Jimmy C.? John H.? Hal? Me? (that's when I woke up!) Seriously, lets show this greatest of great players how much he means to us all!
This guy should be honored, and soon!

Bobbe
Corky Owens

Owensboro, KY USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2002 7:35 pm    

You guy's are making me jealous. I wish I could have been there. The only name missing was Tommy White. Don't tell me he was there or I'll go sit in a corner and cry. Wish I could have seen that line-up. Corky

Carter S-10/DB 4X5
Franklin DB-10 8x4

------------------
Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2002 8:32 pm    

Pick your corner,& get you a fresh box of "Kleenex"® Corky. Him & Theresa were there,although,they didn't stay too long,since the place was "mobbed",& hot.

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© ars longa,
mm vita brevis
-=sr€=-

[This message was edited by Smiley Roberts on 10 July 2002 at 10:04 PM.]

Mike Cass

Post  Posted 10 Jul 2002 11:02 pm    

"The Worlds Foremost Steel Guitarist".....& if anyone in attendance last night didnt know why before, they do now
I was sitting next to Smiley, i think, when E & Hal did "Blue Jade" & we came unglued....there was THAT tone, touch & phrasing! Just what our ears have been missing for a few years now. It was so inspiring that I sat up at home 'till way past sunrise playing, unable to tear myself away till my eyes slammed shut
The whole show, all 3 sets, was quite enjoyable & I was impressed with R. Rogers for sure. Johnny, Junior & Robbie played some very cool arrangements & the "axe swapping" was impressive
When Buddy & Hal let 'er rip, there wasnt a dry eye in the whole place, sweat notwithstanding
Buddy played Buddy & Hal played Hal & the pairing of those 2 fellows was a great match.. hope to see that again sometime! You guys need to get a bus & go on tour
Dave Smith, Earl Erb & Rick Vanaugh were excellent &, I think, qualify as the hardest working 3 piece in Nashville last night
Buddy treated us all to some glimpses of new things hes been working on & Hal gave him chords to play over that showed the depth of his own musical sensitivity, as well.
Hal layed his timeless chops on us on the ballads & shuffles & elicited his share of hoots & hollers. His great single note work on swing tunes was quite different in approach from Buddy's & that made for a neat contrast. As usual, Buddys command of the instrument was on full display, whatever he chose to play........
I know the audience cracked Buddy up when he sang "Four Five Times" & the audience filled in the repeats on the bridge
Ending the set with "A Way to Survive" was the perfect finish to a great night of steel guitar playing.
I just hope we all appreciate what we were treated to that hot, humid night in Music City, & anyone who missed it oughtta slap themselves silly !
'course, this is jmho.....
Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2002 2:50 am    

I'm slappin' myself silly!

There was just no way I could make it. (I know I'll regret this one for the rest of my life.) I hope Joe makes a video available! (Or at least that I can talk him out of a copy...)

"THE BIG E IS STILL THE KING!" You know, the Waylon melody.

------------------
My best,
Ernie

The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com

[This message was edited by Ernie Renn on 11 July 2002 at 03:53 AM.]

David Mullis

Rock Hill, SC
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2002 3:23 am    

What Ernie said, How about a video?
Buddy Emmons

Hermitage, TN USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2002 5:36 am    

My thanks to all for the nice comments. THAT tone and TONE 2 -D BONE was in part, compliments of Mike Cass and his Standel he loaned me for the night. My new Standel will arrive in a couple of weeks and should supply the final link to the sound I've been wanting for years.
I used a Legrande lll with Emmons humbuckers, a modified Goodrich CD2A volume pedal, and Mikes Standel. And Mike. . . thanks a bunch for being there.
Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2002 6:17 am    

To Mr Buddy Emmons:
What else can I say but THANKS a million times over! When I started the NTSGA 2 years ago, having you come and be a part of us was a goal I figured would be impossible to achieve. Buddy, you made my dreams come true for this club. . . .you & Hal played a great set. We all love you! I'll never forget your performance on our stage for this NTSGA Superjam event. This was the best it can ever be for me. Again thank you so much, your the best there'll ever be.

Nick Reed, Past President & Founder
North Tennessee Steel Guitar Association
Fred Murphy

Indianapolis, In. USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2002 7:23 am    

I drove from Indy to see the show, and it was worth all the driving and I'm sure a lot of people drove a lot farther than me. I enjoyed all the playing very much, and I think Robert Rogers deserves a lot of credit for his part in the show. Buddy is always just astounding. When the MASTER plays, you know you are seeing a piece of history being made that will never be repeated. I'm glad I didn't miss it. Thanks for the wonderful music and going through all the heat. I know it had to be very miserable on stage.
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2002 8:00 am    

Having just recieved my June/July 02 Newsletter, I got on the phone immediately with Terry Bethel. With his kind permission and the OZARK STEEL GUITAR ASSOCIATION
I want to post an article that appeared in this issue. It is titled:

WHAT DO HAL RUGG AND BUDDY EMMONS HAVE IN COMMON ? written by Hal Rugg

About two months ago, when Johnny Bush appeared on E.T.'s Record Shop, I had the opportunity to talk to my pal Buddy Emmons who was playing steel with him that night. During the course of the conversation it became evident that Buddy was not going to be doing any more live playing. He said he still loved to play but the problem with his wrist made it hard for him to play for extended periods of time and also he was having trouble opening his right hand all the way

I was totally bummed.....it seemed inevitable that we were going to lose one of the steel guitar industry's greatest icons. This is the man who had a major influence on the way that the instrument is played today. His approach to steel guitar for the last 50 years has set the standard for what the instrument is supposed to sound like; and not to be able to hear him in a live situation any more was almost too much for me to comprehend.

For the next month or so I was not able to put this out of my mind and it seemed as though I would have to accept this as a reality. But then about two weeks ago, the phone rang and it was Johnny Cox and he said: "Buddy has agreed to do one of the sets at the Bell Cove Jam...will you do it with him ?"... I almost fell out of my chair...so I called Buddy and I wasn't dreaming...He wanted to do it !!!!! We had a great chat and then set up some rehearsal times.

We have been rehearsing some for the last week or so and I asked him what made him change his mind.....and he replied that he just wanted to give it another shot and let me tell you, friends and neighbors, nobody could be more pleased about it than I am.

His chops are the same as they always were and if you come to the Bell Cove on July 9th, you are going to hear all those great Buddy Emmons tunes like : AT E's; Killer Joe; Wills Point; Blue Jade, Freddie the Freeloader and the list goes on... you won't be disappointed.

I'm going to be picking with him (actually providing a little comic relief between his solos.) and I promise you, we will both do our utmost to make it a memorable evening !...and won't that be a Hal of a note !!!!!!!!

End of article....I can't think of a single word I could say after that....

Regards, Paul
Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2002 9:28 am    

I, too was able to be there. While it was hot,crowded,standing room only,this has got to be the JAM of all "SuperJams".

Take all of the above post,roll then together,still can't express the excitement of the night and the players.

I have a few photos on yahoo if you care to view them.

The link is:
http://photos.yahoo.com/crookwf

Just click on the "SuperJam 10" folder.
Please note too,that there are photos from the "Jim Murphy Benefit Show" some of you may wish to see.

Thanks NTSGA, SuperJams like this what makes our club the best of the best!

[This message was edited by Bill Crook on 12 July 2002 at 03:24 AM.]

Doug Seymour

Jamestown NY USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2002 9:46 am    

I can't believe I saw that! Thanks Nick Reed for getting that club off the ground and all you guys & gals! Also visited the Hall of Fame while in town....and one of their A/C
theatres would be great for Buddy next time!
Comfortable seats, better views of the action
.....as if you had to see it?....just to be there & hear it was the greatest thrill a steel lover could ever ask for! say nothing about a front row seat! I even asked him to sing "4 or 5 Times" which Hal suggested he do. He so graciously did it & I almost fell
out of my chair when everyone echoed his "hidee, hidee we woo!" They must have that album, too! Don't we all have everything he ever recorded??!!