| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  where did steeler's go wrong?
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2002 2:25 pm    

The jump from accoustic steel (Dobro or whatever)to electrified amps; and, the addition of pedals (pedal steel guitar)to broaden the flexible playability of steel guitar.......for more melodic chord variety..
WHEN DID THE CURRENT RAGE OCCUR?
I must not have been paying close attention or whatever. Amps went from sound enchancement over the round hole or arch top accoustic guitar........to todays ear drum busting screaming guitars into PA sets that only blast the picked notes into still another orbit.
Buddy Emmons and others lead us down the path to sweet, sophisticated pedal steel musical varieties.........with CLASS........and yet most of what we hear today is the never-ending, frantic, pushing, stomping and kicking of pedals for every beat of the elctrified drum....whether the vocalist is trying to sing or not.
Something happened. WHAT WAS IT?
WHATEVER IT WAS....was it really necessary and did it truly improve the sound of steel guitar?
Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2002 2:50 pm    

Bakersfield maybe?

Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2002 3:14 pm    

Marty Robbins started it all with "Don't Worry Bout Me". I think it was Grady who had a bad speaker and made that new sound. Then the amps had to be able to distort like the record.

Bob.
Wayne Morgan

Rutledge, TN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2002 4:39 pm    

stomping and kicking,,,is that what Mike Johnson does on Singletarys new CD,,,,if it is, I like it !!!!!!!

Wayne

[This message was edited by Wayne Morgan on 13 August 2002 at 05:40 PM.]

[This message was edited by Wayne Morgan on 13 August 2002 at 07:00 PM.]

Dr. Hugh Jeffreys

Southaven, MS, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2002 5:32 pm    

Back in the '50's, Sam had a group coming in one Sat. from Arkansas to record at the Sun Studio. They group was traveling in one car with most instruments tied on top, which was not properly stablized. The top blew off and damaged their amp. When they got to the studio, the amp's speaker was messed up and the sound distorted. The guys said we can't record like this (it was late and music stores were closed); Sam disagreed and said we have to get something on the wire (he started the Sun studio with a wire recorder!!) Nevertheless, they laid down a few songs. That was the genesis of DISTORTION. By the way--Sam's original intent was to go to Memphis hospitals and to record baby's first cry and sell the result to the parents!! Hugh