| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  George Jones At The Grand Palace But----
Bill Myrick

Pea Ridge, Ar. (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2002 5:12 pm    

After reading Paul Graupp's post, I hope I too am not "over reacting" a bit but---here goes-- This past saturday night the wife and I took in the Jones show at The Grand Palace in Branson and I'm sorry I didn't catch the steel player's name (the talking accustics wern't the best for my ears) but he was from southeastern Missouri around the West Plains area I believe. (Someone fill us in who he was please). He did a supurb job and I enjoyed it so much but---- All night long--never once-- not even one time -- did the spotlight cover him on his breaks and rides, not once !!!! It covered everyone else at appropriate times as expected but never once did it cover the steel man !!!!!
I was tempted to go back up to the light control booth and asked if they knew that a steel player was on the stage.
The lady that was performing in the warm up group even walked back where he was setting and pointed at him on his break and damned if they didn't leave the spot on her the whole time !!!
Has anyone else had that problem there ???
Ronnie, how is it done when you're there with Charlie ?
Ok, getting down off my box now -

[This message was edited by Bill Myrick on 12 August 2002 at 06:16 PM.]

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2002 6:07 pm    

I should be brief.....It's a sorry fact that what you saw is all too common. I've seen a million explanations and excuses but none of them float with me. I don't have any answers but there it is and I hate it !!

Regards, Paul
John Cadeau

Surrey,B.C. Canada
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2002 8:21 pm    

I saw the same thing here in Vancouver. Went to see "The Hag" in concert. Norm Hamlet was playing a beautiful steel ride, the follow spot was aimed right at the fiddle player. Merle walked over into the spotlight and motioned toward Norm and then made follow me me motions, and walked right over to Norm and pointed at him. They had the spotlight on Norm for about the last 10 seconds of his ride. I was about as upset as Merle was with the lightman.
John
Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2002 8:43 pm    

This is a little off the topic, but bear with me please....I was in Branson Saturday. Since it was raining we decided to take in a show instead of fishing as planned, so we called the Palace to see if they still had any tickets. They said the only ones left were in the balcony and they cost $50. How much were the better tickets on the floor ?? I like George but not at $150 for three of us.

------------------

Doug Earnest
The only Zum Keyless U12, Fender Cyber Twin

Bill Myrick

Post  Posted 13 Aug 2002 5:26 am    

Doug----Two things -- 1. They lied to you about the available seats- the bottom was about 75% capacity and we sat in the balcony
because the front rows were pretty much empty and you could see better. 2. You're right about the $ 50.00 deal !!!! I don't know if the lower level seats were more or not, I didn't price them but as far as prices go--I agree they were a bit too pricey !!
Michael Holland

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2002 8:21 am    

Don't blame the operators, blame the production manager. When I was band leader and pedal steel player with Doug Stone, I would give lighting charts to the LD for each show. Pretty simple, really. I had a folder with large printed cue sheets for every song we did, and once the set list was finalized I pulled a sheet for each song and stapled them in order and walked them out to the lighting console. They hit every cue and made us look great!

robert hays

sikeston mo. usa
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2002 10:28 am    

Bill to answer your question about the steel player for George his name is Tom Killon, he is from Poplar Bluff MO. he is an awsome player, and I have noticed that when they are on T.V. they dont do justice to Tom there either seems they dont know who is taking the break? he is not usually up in the mix enough to suit me either! Just my Opinion.
Bill Myrick

Post  Posted 13 Aug 2002 2:19 pm    

Hey Robert ---thanks guy, that's our man and I agree he was awesome and I'd loved to have heard even more of him. His intros and rides were "right off the records" to me and it was a darned shame he didn't get recognized for it all ! He'd come in on a great turn around and it would stand the hair up on the back of your neck and there the spot was shining on the fiddle man or keyboard or maybe the lead guitarist but never --not even once did it show Tom. Maybe the light operator should have be alerted or something but dang, I could have at least figured who was playing, that's not rocket science material in my opinion. Oh well ---It was sure fine music anyway.
Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2002 3:27 pm    

I pay forty to sixty dollars to see George any time he's in Phoenix. I'm not rich...but when you see George you've seen and heard country music. But I would have really been upset if they didn't put the spot on Tom Killen.

Waylon used to say....if we could all sing like we wanted to....we'd all sound like George Jones.

Bob.

[This message was edited by Bob Carlson on 13 August 2002 at 04:31 PM.]