| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  ? for Buddy E. Standel Amp?
Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2002 7:18 am    

Buddy,
I noticed the other night you were using a Standel Amp. When I started palying years ago I had a Standel. I liked it alot,but it was a little low on power. If you would, tell me about yours. Power, model, likes, dislikes.

Is there a place here in town that carries the line, where you can try one out?

Thanks,

Ron
Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2002 8:11 am    

Low on power? Every time I play anywhere now I am told to play quietly as the sound man needs to have total control of all volumes. This is in clubs, T.V., Opry, Studio, Etc. I feel it is not the respossibility for the steel player to have to deliver over 75 watts anyway. If they want anymore volume than that, let them mic you the way they do the drums, voice, bass, piano etc. I have been using a Sho-Bud amp with a 12 inch speaker for the last 4 years, unless I know I'm going to have to go "Blasting". Then, the Nashville 1000 is a good answer to the volume, weight, tone, question. But I do feel it is the responsibility of who hires you to amplify you if you need over 75 watts RMS. They do everyone else in the band!
(I love seeing the mic going into the bass drum, NOT!) Standell? It is back in vogue again, power isn't that important in this day and time. I love Standell and Sho-Bud amps. Dependibility? Have a Peavey handy though.

[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 12 July 2002 at 09:12 AM.]

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2002 8:42 am    

I had a single channel Sho~Bud amp I bought new in 73.It sounded great when it worked.But I finished out many a night through the number 2 channel of the guitar players Fender Super.Maybe I just had a bad one.No it wasn't the Baldwin model.I had one of those.Bout turned me against playing. ---bb
Buddy Emmons

Hermitage, TN USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2002 9:14 am    

Ron,
The Standel at Bell Cove belonged to Mike Cass so I'm not privy to the specs. I have an older Standel and wasn't sure how it would perform so I called Mike for assistance and he loaned me one of his. It has all the clout one would need for that kind of job so I'm sure mine would have held up too, but I didn't want to risk it.

The new Standel I have on order is the 25L15 "vintage plus" tube model and will have between 80 and 100 watts. I've been told that Standel interprets watts differently than some companies and their numbers can be measured as true wattage. It will have a JBL speaker with two outs in back (speaker and line out) plus a power switch that will allow maximum amp performance at studio level settings.

I've been working with Danny McKinney and Richard Glick the last few months in an attempt to get the steel amp I've always wanted. They are very interested in building such an amp and have been wonderfully responsive to my needs. I expect the 25L15 in approximately two weeks. They don't come cheap but when I think of the thousands of dollars I've spent on outboard equipment trying to get that sound, for me it's a blessing.

As for dislikes, I haven't found any.
Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2002 9:22 am    

good night!! if Buddy Emmons is still looking for a sound, what hope is there for me!? oy vey!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2002 9:33 am    

Buddy,
Does this mean the days of the Aflack Duck speaker are gone? Sorry had to. I think you promised to send me that thing.I guess you'll fly it in no doubt.
Happy to hear things went so well for you at Bell Cove.Sorry I missed it.But I thought you and Hal were only going to play a 45 min. set.So I decided to pass.Had I known it would be 2 hours I would have probably walked.Well when I was 19 I would have. Thanks --bb
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2002 9:47 am    

I had the good fortune to spend a couple days with Danny and that amp, trying different guitars, speakers and cabinets. I now hate all of my amplifiers. It was/is the best sounding amp I have heard, better than my original Standels.
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2002 6:00 pm    

This is funny, because I've seen this Standel amp coming back over the last year and will be very interested on how Buddy likes his new amp. What I see at the Standel company is the pursuit of excellence. If anyone can get Standel to configure an amp for steel guitar its Buddy. Its true the Standels don't come cheap, but neither does anything of excellence. This is going to be fabulous.
John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2002 6:42 am    

Buddy, are you intending on marrying that Standel amp with an old push-pull? Would be a hellova union.
Buddy Emmons

Post  Posted 13 Jul 2002 10:03 am    

John,
It would be one hellova union, but my present combination of ingredients doesn't shoot no bad stick either. I know at some point I'll have to check it out but I'd still miss the advantages of the all-pull system, so it would be unlikely that the marriage would last.
Mike Black

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2002 10:04 am    

Buddy, Would you mind telling us what attracted you to the Standel back in the 50's? Any stories about going to the garage, memories of using it, etc.?
Thanks
Mike Cass

Post  Posted 14 Jul 2002 7:18 pm    

Ron, that amp is a '66 Super Custom 15 w/a JBL D-130 speaker.
I guess, what,70 watts ??
...cleanest 70 I ever heard.
funny though, it didnt sound like that the next time I used it
Buddy Emmons

Post  Posted 15 Jul 2002 4:53 am    

Mike,
I became aware of the amp when I learned that Speedy West was using one. I was a big fan of Speedy and having ordered a clone of his Bigsby guitar, I had to have a Standel amp too. I have no particular stories other than most of my studio years from the 1955 Columbia instrumentals up to the early Ray Price recordings was with the amp. I've been told that some of the later transistor amps were close to a disaster due to another company taking over the manufacturing.
A fellow by the name of Bob Crooks started Standel and kept records of players he sold the amps to. Danny McKinney now heads the company and is dedicated to the same excellence standard set by Mr. Crooks. For interesting browsing, their home page is: www.requisiteaudio.com/standel.html#anchor15076719
My first Standel is in the "History" section and listed as 25L15, #1036, purchased 01-14-55.
B J Cole

London, England
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2002 8:46 am    

I became aware of the 'new' Standel eighteen months ago and got Danny to build me a Steel amp. Working with him on the spec was a joy (thanks also to Chas Smith for checking it out for me). I went for the more powerful 'Artist'model (around 45 watts) which has the controls on the front, tube reverb and balanced line out after the power amp. It also has the Standel copy of the old JBL 15" speaker. Looks great too in blue and cream. This is probably the best amp I've ever used although heavy and hot.
I remember using a solid state Standel in the late sixties which sounded great, but the transistors were sealed in resin, so when it broke down I couldn't get it fixed.

------------------
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2002 8:58 am    

I nearly wet my pants when I saw this picture on their web site:

That's one of the prettiest looking amps I've ever seen! I'd almost be afaid to gig with it, though.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic) Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6)
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2002 9:16 am    

Mr.E.
Knowing Frank Garlock as I do only tells me
this present Standel is of the highest quality. Frank would NOT be invloved with any
thing that falls short of being excellent.I
did a few things with Frank after my days at Fender.He always came up with a winner.

I first played through a Standel when I was working an off Broadway Show in NYC back in 1954. The Standel belonged to Joe Maphis,,I was using (what else)? a wide faced "Tweed" Fender Twin (no reverb). Joe got a fantastic
sound from his Standel amp and "Mosrite" guitar,,I played through it with a Fender Custom guitar,,,the sound was great,,however
it was much more treble than I was accustomed
to. There was one input jack on Joe's amp and
he explained the reason for that.

It more than likely was custom engineered for
Joe's unique "trademark sound",,nevertheless
the sound was great. I was not able to get
invloved with buying a Standel amp as I was a
member of the "Tweed Team". I found the Twin more suitable for playing with the Custom.

However I did own a Bigsby and the sound was
not as I expected,,using a Twin,,,maybe it was a case of Bigsby "rejecting' the Fender or vice versa.

Now that Im a "free agent" I can pick and choose what I like best. I will check further on the present Standel amplifiers.
I always thought they improved the overall sound of a Bigsby guitar,,and that the combination of Bigsby and Standel were more
fitted for each other than what I was using.

The treble on Joe's amp blew me off the stage
he would often challenge me to trade licks with him,,Standel VS. Fender. most times I lost,he sang better than I did ,,.

One of my favorite tunes he and Rose Lee did was "Dont Make Love In A Buggy" cause "horses
carry "tails". Nice guy and a great entertainer,,Rose was a gem as well.

The music was great,,,but after 4 weeks,,the show closed, maybe it was my trying to play louder than Joe. I lost and the show closed
shortly thereafter....Sunshine Sue "Workman"
"Hayride" headed up the show,,,,good cast,,Flatt & Scruggs etc etc,,.Good info re the Standel,Bob Crooks was a fine man as well.
Thanks for the "heads up".

Good luck my friend,,.
Buddy Emmons

Post  Posted 15 Jul 2002 10:22 am    

Nice hearing from you, Jody. The Bigsby/Standel was truly a great combination and brings to mind the incredible tone Joaquin Murphey got on so many records. They have a picture of Joaquin (History section), his standup Bigsby and Standel amp on the website for all you Murphey fans to see. He'll always be the one I refer to as "The Man."

[This message was edited by Buddy Emmons on 15 July 2002 at 11:25 AM.]

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2002 11:54 am    

Mr E.
Joaquin was indeed "THE MAN" now there are (2)two.Your the "OTHER MAN" my friend

PS Buddy,,,what ever become of Al Simpkins?
Haven't seen or heard from him since the late
1960's. Nice enough guy,,good salesman,,tried
to sell me his Rolex watch,,the one like you wear,,steel and gold datejust..I would have bought it but the thing weighed a pound and 1/2. and it slowed my left hand down a bit.

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 15 July 2002 at 01:06 PM.]

Buddy Emmons

Post  Posted 15 Jul 2002 1:00 pm    

Jody: I haven't seen Al since the late 60s myself. Thanks for the tip on the Rolex. I may have to go to a Timex.
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2002 1:11 pm    

I have deleted what I posted,,I obviously have disturbed someone with my "rambling" and in return,,,,received a much more than nasty deragatory e mail. So to leave room for something of more importance and relevant
to this thread,,I deleted what I wrote.

Buddy,,,you are a first class musician as well as a first class human being, thanks for giving me the space to use,,but others dont appreciate what I write..Good Luck Big Guy...

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 20 July 2002 at 04:53 AM.]