| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What do YOU do when you feel like youre burned out?
Chuckie Acevedo

Fresno Ca
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2002 6:33 pm    

I know alot of guys feel this way, tired of the same old songs and the gigs thats dont pay diddly-squat. How do you cope with it and get back on track?

------------------
Chuckieboy
Sho-Bud Prolll
Fenders Deluxe6,CD8 C3,D10

Tom Jordan

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2002 8:07 pm    

Chucky Boy,

I don't think that we have met even though we are in the same town...we ought to hook-up before we move back to Santa Maria at the end of summer.

I have really suffered burn-out from the same old 3 minute song drill. I do cope by doing the occasional casual with the old band (Double Gage). We played every smokey (but enormously fun) bar in the area for several years while I was going to school and starting a new career.

For fun I have been playing (learning) resonator guitar and a new U-12. Its amazing how six strings can challange a guy and teach you something new. I've also went through the process of putting my favorite standards in midi format for practice and solo playing.

Anyway, I am looking forward to playing out more often as a casual player. The new projects and some recent studio work has got me motivated again.....its a shame to let a steel guitar sit idle when there are so few pickers inour area.

Your neighbor,

Tom Jordan

------------------
Sierra Royalty S12 5/5 Universal Tuning, Session 400 LTD, ProFex II
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2002 9:35 pm    

I believe Tom touched on something that helps me and I believe it is very important.
Get yourself another Steel...whether a Resonator; Hawaiian steel; or just something different from what your playing constantly.
What happens is a new excitement for the new instrument....and then what happens is another new excitement as you go back to the same'ole steel because playing the other one has taught you to think differently about playing it....then when your back on the same'ole....you see and play it with new ideas......and that completes the burn-out effect everytime.
Have fun....and or play something you would normally never stick in a CD player and play along with.
Ricky
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2002 3:29 am    

About a year ago I decided to chuck everything and go pretty much back to basics. I'd been playing a U-12 for over 20 years and wasn't happy with my sound. I don't really like the 6th sounds, probably because I was never really happy with my progress in that area of steel playing. I gutted my tuning and went back to a very basic extended E9th tuning. Sort of a combination E9/A6 you might call it. I refer to it as my 12 string Mooney tuning. I couldn't be happier. I went to a steel jam a couple of months ago and one of the players told me that I played a lot of stuff he hadn't heard other players do and that I moved my bar around more than most people. I don't know if that's bad or good but it's good for me. I've been using more bar movement instead of pedals and even some slants here and there. I love being at square one again as it's all uphill from there.

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney tuning.

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2002 4:01 am    

Don't play your guitar except at the gig, it will seem new and fresh and you will really want to get in and play.

Larry Behm

Start playing bluegrass banjo and you will never be bored, the faster the song the better.
Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2002 12:54 am    

Chuckie;
I visit the "Rut Buster", Scotty's International Steel Guitar Convention in St. Louis, MO over Labor Day weekend. Each time I come back home with more ideas and licks running around in my head to last for quite a spell. Works for me...

------------------
My best,
Ernie

The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2002 1:28 am    

I'm sort of in Larry's camp on this one. Unless I have the strong urge to just sit and practice I generally stay off the steel for several days and pick up the Telecaster and work out new licks on that little baby which inspires me to go back to the steel.
tp
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2002 9:16 am    

I seem to have contracted a different kind of burn out: I can't stand to listen to my records any longer. I've listened to everything a million times and never got to this point before. It's hard to understand and it's got me worried a bit. Anyone else ever got to this point and if so, what did you do to reverse the trend ?? The last thing I listened to was BE and RP and I played that until I didn't want to hear it any more either. I have all this in my head so I'm wondering, why keep playing them over and over.........

Regards, Paul
John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2002 1:55 pm    

Try laying off for a few weeks. Back in the '80s, I stopped playing for about 6 months or so. Somebody called me and I went out, sat in with his band and did much better than I expected.

Chuckie, it is possible to come back better than ever. Like riding a bicycle, you never forget tho' you may fumble around a little at first. I just sat down today and played for an hour or two after a rehearsal last Friday. I was concerned that by not playing for a few days, I'd suck. Actually, I sounded pretty good, to me that is. I was in a different room with slightly different settings on the amp and effects. The rig sounded great.

Ricky, I agree that getting a new guitar will help. But think of all the ones you got rid of and wished you'd kept!
How about buying a new CD, preferably from Bobby Lee! I did that a few weeks ago and I'm still learning new stuff and having a ball playing along with the songs.
--JR
Doyle Weigold

CColumbia City, IN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2002 1:57 pm    

Find a new scale book. I took lessons when I was 45 years old to get out of a rut. Learned some new scales and major 6th & 7th chord progressions. It was well worth it. Like they say there's no end to learnin' something new when it comes to music.
David Chockley

Post  Posted 6 Jul 2002 3:38 pm    

I've played steel for about twenty years (i'm 32 yrs old) and I got really burned out afew yrs ago and quit playing the road and got a pretty good "day" job and since then I've gotten married, (good choice), gotten a dui ( bad choice), but the bug to play is always there and no matter what adversity there is in your life this is a gift, and weshould all be proud that we are "steel players" because there aren't too many of us. "Nuff Said.
Dave
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2002 8:42 am    

sleep
Chuckie Acevedo

Fresno Ca
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2002 12:17 pm    

Thanks Guys! All great ideas, except buying another one, I wouldnt be in a rut Id be in a grave, my lovely wife would see to that.I think I need a vacation...say when is that HSGA convention in Honolulu ?Thanks again to everyone.

------------------
Chuckieboy
Sho-Bud Prolll
Fenders Deluxe6,CD8 C3,D10