| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Eagles?
George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2002 2:37 am    

There was a special on last night of the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" concert. Did anyone happen to see it? I was just wondering what brand of steel and who the fellow was playing. That's the first time I've ever seen what the "Eagles" look like. They are one helluva band!!!!!!!!!

------------------
SUAS U' PHIOB
Geo

[This message was edited by George Mc Lellan on 09 June 2002 at 03:38 AM.]

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2002 3:08 am    

George, have you been asleep the past 30 years ? Just kidding.. Hell Freezes Over may be the top Music Concert Video CD DVD out there and I believe was from around the mid 90's. The Eagles guitar player, Don Felder also plays an Emmons Steel , maybe other steels as well. I've seen him play an Emmons. Yes they are a classic band for sure.. This road has been travled big time here on the forum in the past..
Ok , So where did the Eagles come from and get their beginning ? This may start another rucus ! well the story goes like this.....
tp

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 09 June 2002 at 04:11 AM.]

Anne Marie O Keeffe

Co.Waterford,Ireland.
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2002 3:13 am    

Yes George, they've been around a while. I wonder how many of them are " bald eagles" now..heheheh
Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2002 5:36 am    

That band always ticked me off. The worst singer in the band was Joe Walsh, and he's no slouch!! How they found that many good singers that were also good pickers and good song writers is beyond me.
Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2002 6:21 am    

quote:
Ok , So where did the Eagles come from and get their beginning ? This may start another rucus ! well the story goes like this.....
tp

No Buffalo.....no Eagles. side note, Steve Stills and Don Felder played together as teenagers in a group in Gainsville,FLA named the Continentals.
Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2002 6:44 am    

Glenn Frey lived in an apartment complex with a couple of singer/songwriter types who lived in a apartment on the same floor, Gregg Allman and Jackson Browne. Then Linda Ronstadt put together a band, The Stone Ponies, which went on to turn into the beginnings of the Eagles. I think Herb Steiner played with her for a while but not sure if it was in this time frame (I've been wrong before and will be again!!).
Jim West

Post  Posted 9 Jun 2002 7:50 am    

If you look closely you'll notice that Don Felder doesn't use finger picks. Not a big deal, just an observation.
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2002 8:40 am    

My recollection of the formation of the Eagles, and I was part of "the scene" at the time but bear in mind that this is recalled from over 30 years ago, is this:

The Eagles were formed in during 1971-72 from a coalition of several bands/groups that had either dissolved, only played sporadically, or was switching around members. Among them were Dillard and Clark, Longbranch Pennywhistle, Shiloh, and various Ronstadt bands. Glen Frey had a duo with JD Souther called Longbranch Pennywhistle was sort of "hanging out." At this time, JD was Ronstadt's boyfriend, and Glen and JD were my two main "drinking buddies." I left Ronstadt's band in 1969 and was working with Michael Murphey and Boomer Castleman, but was still in close contact with all the band members.

Don Henley had come from TX with his band Shiloh, which included Al Perkins, the Bowden cousins Richard and Michael, and Jim Ed Norman (soon to become a bigshot producer). Shiloh was going nowheres, and Perkins left to join the Burrito Bros. Ronstadt was reforming another band and got Henley on drums along with Richard Bowden, Glen Frey, Bernie Leadon (who had been playing with Doug Dillard and Gene Clark), Ken Bloom, Randy Meisner and maybe and a couple other guys. It wasn't a "floating band," but there were the same guys going in and out for awhile. This band was named The Corvettes.

What is fuzzy to me right at this moment is whether the Corvettes preceded Swampwater as Linda's band, or followed them. Swampwater (Gib Guilbeau, Thad Maxwell, John Beland, Sneaky Pete, others). I know Swampwater was Linda's band in 1970 for sure, but all this other stuff remains foggy.

Linda and JD, Jackson Browne (who had left the Nitty Grittys and was replaced by John McEuen), and Henley all lived in and around a courtyard of apartments off Franklin Ave, just south of the Hollywood Bowl. Time period again 1971-72. This courtyard was the site of much fun times and partying as I recall fondly.

The REAL FORMATION OF THE EAGLES began in the brain of David Geffen. Geffen wanted to form a supergroup of singer/songwriters he managed and hand-picked Glen and Don as the leaders. Longbranch Pennywhistle was effectively down the tubes anyway, and Shiloh had broken up and so Henley was no longer under contract to Kenny Rogers (who "managed" Shiloh). Randy Meisner was brought in on bass, Bernie Leadon was brought in on lead guitar. The band didn't gig at first but was financed by David Geffen. They recorded their first album and then there was a debut of the band. There was an incredible amount of talent assembled as Geffen was a real smart operator who knew the music biz backwards and forwards.

The debut at the Troubadour club had to have occured in early 1972 as I had rejoined Michael Murphey and was fixing to move to TX. I gave Glen my ski sweater with a flying eagle on it, and Don told me I'd enjoy living in TX. I remember Don singing "Witchy Woman" that night, and thought "wow, that's a spooky song."

Jason Odd is the man to talk to about the formation of these groups and this part of LA history. I think Boomer could probably add something to the mix as well. Jason? Boom?

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

[This message was edited by Herb Steiner on 09 June 2002 at 09:40 AM.]

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2002 11:41 am    

I believe thats a Sho Bud that Don plays on this Video. I'll get out my DVD and see for sure. There's one cut, "Girl from Yesterday" that is get down country, lots of steel and Joe Walsh plays some good country Tele also. This is a good video all the way through.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording
Steven Knapper

Temecula Ca USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2002 4:20 pm    

Girl from yesterday is a JD Souther tune that he came up with for the HEll reuinion tour. Glen Fry may have had some input but I don't think so, would have to check the credits, can't find it so it must be in car, but I know if you ever saw the video that Fry gives the credit to that very pretty little tune to Souther.
George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2002 4:37 pm    

Thanks Herb, it's always nice to hear the history of a band from someone who was involved.

No Tony, I wasn't asleep, I have been an avid fan of the Eagles for years, I just never had the opertunity to see what they looked like. I didn't know there were so many in the band. As mentioned before, super band is a good word for them. I've never seen so many excellant singers and musicians in one band, WOW!!!!!!!

Anne Marie, no bald jokes.

------------------
SUAS U' PHIOB
Geo

Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2002 6:24 pm    

When I was with Gretsch, we shipped a Sho-Bud with an Eagle inlay on the front to Don Felder "era 1975" au
Allen Peterson

Katy, Texas
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2002 4:08 am    

I heard that Don Felder is no longer in the Eagles. Any truth to the rumor?
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2002 4:11 am    

I read a little blurb in Rolling Stone a while back which said that Don Henley and Glen Frey had ousted Don Felder from their corporation which was Eagles Enterprises or something like that. The three of them owned the company and those two got Don F. out for some reason which wasn't mentioned.........JH

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney tuning.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2002 4:35 am    

Maybe Don H and Genn F don't have enough cash coming in so they opted to get Don F's as well... ..maybe ? As good as they are I'd like to see them play Hotel California without Don F.

I was under the impression that the group was not even together anymore, once again...

Maybe they will have another last CD, they can call it "Goodbye II" in that way when they come back again they can have the "We're Back III" CD so we can keep track of the comings and goings. Maybe they can call it " Hell Froze Over " ?

George, I knew that you knew...As Jerry would say, "they look the exactly same now as they did in the beginning, just different"..
tp

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 10 June 2002 at 05:38 AM.]

JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2002 6:02 am    

I saw the Eagles several times, but the 2 best were early. 1973 at the Wolman Rink in New York-(Schaeffer Music Festival-best deal ever on the planet. 2 bucks for a spot in a venue that held maybe 2,000 tops, and great acts all the time)-and then at the Mississippi River Festival, right after "One of These Nights" came out-and THAT was a monster concert. Saw them several times after that, but "Nights" and "On The Border" were their zenith years, I think. Walsh-great player by the way-was the wrong guy for the band. In a lot of ways, "Hotel California" was their worst album. I think you'll find most critics felt the same way. I believe it was Rolling Stone that called it " Self indulgent crap."

JB

------------------
Fulawka D-10 9&5
Mullen Royal Precision D-10 8 & 5
"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"
www.johnbarnold.com/pedalsteel
www.buddycage.net

Greg Simmons

where the buffalo (used to) roam AND the Mojave
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2002 6:13 am    

Eagles are playing here tonight - tickets start at $75 for the "nosebleed section" and range up to around $150. Even in Canadian $$, that's pretty high; Dylan is here in August and tickets are only $39-59, guess he has less of an entourage or smokebombs/lightshow or whatever...or he's just not as greedy

------------------
Greg Simmons
Custodian of the Official Sho~Bud Pedal Steel Guitar Website
shobud.cjb.net

Dave Ristrim

Whites Creek, TN
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2002 7:03 am    

I sure was bummed when Bernie Leadon wasn't in the "so called reunion". Also Randy Meisner, who sang some great early tunes. I was drawn to the Eagles due to the fact that Bernie had a kind of folksy background, playing banjo and steel etc. I still like Hotel California, but to me it was different band. Not the Eagles, maybe the Falcons or Hawks ,but not the Eagles.
Dave
Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2002 2:44 pm    

Eagles are playing in KC in July, I haven't had the nerve to check the prices yet...

Don't take this the wrong way because the Eagles may be my favorite group of all time, but it always strikes me odd how their singing can sound SO good, when none of them are particularly good singers by themselves. Not in a traditional sense, anyway. Well, maybe Timothy B. Schmidt with that beautiful high voice would be the exception. I guess it's just the blend that makes it all work. Whatever the reason I'm really glad they all got together. That video is several years old. Don Felder is no Jerry Garcia on steel, though. LOL

------------------

Doug Earnest
The only Zum Keyless U12, Zum2000U12,Sierra12,Sho-Bud ProII D10 PV DPC 750 ProFex 112E, Fender Cyber Twin
JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2002 4:57 pm    

If memory serves me right, Al Perkins did most of their studio steel work, didn't he? At least I thought so...I'll have to check the albums.

JB

------------------
Fulawka D-10 9&5
Mullen Royal Precision D-10 8 & 5
"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"
www.johnbarnold.com/pedalsteel
www.buddycage.net

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2002 5:09 pm    

Okay, now Herb pretty much has it covered here, but I can't resist adding my two cents.

Originally there was a duo of Linda Rondstadt and Bob Kimmel known as The Kimmel Brothers, they soon adopted the Stone Poneys name and recruited Ken Edwards; who had been involved in a couple of early 1960s L.A. R&B and blues bands.
Their first album was produced by Nick Venet and nearly all the songs were written by Edwards and Kimmel. They did use a backing group to augment them, and most of the backing musicians and producer Venet also worked with Fred Neil on his two albums recorded in 1967.
After two other albums, the trio disbanded although their 'Stone Poneys And Friends' LP was basically the original group in the studio with session players. When one of the tracks "Different Drum" became a hit, Linda went on the road with Bobby Kimmel (gtr), Shep Cooke on bass with other sidemen filling out the group. They played a four-month tour as 'Linda Ronstadt and the Stone Poneys' to support the success of the single. Shep Cooke was originally from Tucson and had previously played with the Intruders, who became the Quinstrells and then the Dearly Beloved.
This line-up was dropped as soon as the tour finished and by November 1968 the Stone Poneys, were John Forsha (gtr), John Ware (drums), John Keski (bass), Herb Steiner (steel gtr) and Bill Martin (piano). Herb was originally hired as a dobro/mandolinist.
The main version of the country-rock Stone Poney's was Herb on steel, John Forsha on guitar, John London on bass, John Ware on drums and Bill Martin on piano. John Keski the original bass player for the revamped group had played bass on Lee Michaels 1968 debut album Carnival of Life (A&M SP-4140).

Kenny Edwards went on to the Los Angeles band Bryndle alongside, Peter Bernstein, Wendy Waldman, Andrew Gold and Karla Bonoff. They played their first show at McCabes in Santa Monica in 1969 and in 1970 recorded what should have been their debut album for A&M Records with newcomer producer Chuck Plotkin. Only a single, "Woke Up This Morning," was ever released and was a regional hit in Northern California before disappearing. Bryndle soon disbanded with, Andrew Gold and Kenny Edwards then forming the Rangers with Peter Bernstein (bassist of Bryndle and son of composer Elmer Bernstein) and Gene Garfin on drums (ex Comfortable Chair..years later in Andrew Gold's solo band). They made demo after demo, but never got a deal. In 1973 Andrew Gold joined Linda Ronstadt's band, then Kenny followed suit in time for her Heart Like A Wheel album. Kenny Edwards also kept on working in the Californian studios, notably with Bernie Schwartz and Warren Zevon.
John London (real name John Kuehne) and John Ware went on to join the Corvettes, who also featured Bernie Leadon and Chris Darrow and cut two 1969 singles for the Dot label.
Originally the Corvettes were formed by Jeff Hannah and Chris Darrow from the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band after the Nitty’s disbanded in 1969, Jeff rejoined the Gritty's when they reformed and that's when Bernie Leadon came in.
(on a side note, Bernie was dating Linda when he split her group for the FBBS in December '69.)
The Corvettes became Linda's backing band in 1969 but folded in December '69 when Leadon joined the Flying Burrito Brothers. London and Ware both joined Michael Nesmith's 1st National Band in late 1969, London had previously played with Nesmith in the early 1960s as part of a folk act before relocating to L.A. in 1966. He sadly passed away in 2000.

In 1969 while still using the Stone Poney’s Linda’s debut album was released on Capitol Records; (I think it was mainly recorded in late '68?).
The personnel on the Ronstadt LP 'Hand Sown Home Grown' (Capitol) 1969, were Dick Rosmini on rhythm guitar, Clarence White on lead guitar, Red Rhodes on steel, Chip Douglas on bass, Fast Eddie Hoh on drums, Bill Martin on piano, Richard Greene on fiddle, and Herb Steiner on mandolin.

When the Corvettes disbanded in Dec. '69 Ronstadst hired John Beland who had been in a couple of other groups and played around the Troubador (where he sometimes worked with Longbranch Pennywhistle.. confused anyone?)..
So here's Linda Ronstadt with a guitar player, she goes out to the Jack Of Diamonds and manages to hire Gib Guilbeau and his whole band the Reasons in 1969. At this point the Reasons were Gib on fiddle, vocals and guitar; Wayne Moore on rhythm and lead guitar, Eric White (bass), and drummer Stan Pratt. When she signed on the group Wayne Moore declined due to the fact that Beland was in place.
And yes Herb Steiner later worked with Wayne in a group with Boomer.

Of course Dilland & Clark, Poco and the Buffalo Springfield, Rick Nelson's Stone Canyon Band, etc, etc all figure in this story one way or another.
The Bowens who were from Shiloh also played as the core of Jackson Browne's first tour band in 1972, then later worked in Cold Steel a short lived project with Sneaky Pete Kleinow.

In 1971 Swampwater split from Ronstadt to work with Arlo Guthrie and continue their own careers.
Her manager/producer John Boylan recruited a new group for her in the first half of the year. He hired Glenn Frey {guitar, vocals}away from the Troubador club and his outfit Longbranch Pennywhistle, other members were Ken Bloom (ex- Lewis & Clark with Boomer Castleman) on steel and standard guitar, bassist Casey Van Beek and drummer Don Henley (from Shiloh). With Boylan on rhythm guitar they toured through the Spring of 1971.
After a period of inactivity Van Beek and Bloom left the band, they were replaced by Randy Meisner {bass, vocals} from Rick Nelson’s Stone Canyon Band while another ex-Shiloh member Michael Bowden temps on lead guitar until ex-Flying Burrito Brother Bernie Leadon joins.
This version of the group only played one gig backing Ronstadt at Disneyland in July, Boylan obviously saw a lot of potential in the new group and began grooming them as a new act.
The group recorded several tracks for Ronstadt’s new album, but they also rehearsed and cut some demos with Boylan and Buddy Emmons who had played steel guitar on Ronstadt’s latest sessions was also brought in.
As the group evolved into the Eagles, Meisner was replaced in Ronstadt’s group by Michael Bowden. Ken Bloom was brought in to fill for Leadon while even Henley took leave of the group and J.D. Souther temped on drums.
Things came to a holt when the band left to go on their own and signed with David Geffen who had his own vision for the group's potential I guess. (understatement of the year)
Boylan continued to work with Ronstadt until 1973, quite reguarly using the Bowdens to back her.
Ronstadt's group went on to include : Bob Warford, Jeff Baxter {steel guitar}, Jimmy Hodder (drummer for Steely Dan) and Doug Heywood (bass), Andrew Gold joined as utility player on guitar and piano, John Ware (drums), Kenny Edwards (back on bass),
Sneaky Pete Kleinow (briefly in '73), Ed Black (steel and standard guitar), Lloyd Myers (drums), Dan Dugmore (steel), Mike Botts (drums), Waddy Wachtell (guitars); and we've barely made it to 1977 here!

This is pretty much what Herb's saying, the only real difference is that John Boylan had a bit to do with the early Eagles, he also had a hand in the early Rick Nelson & The Stone Canyon Band and the Suite Steel LP and band from 1970. Boylan kind of missed the boat with the commercial successes of the country-rock sound while guys like Peter Asher, Keith Olsen and Geffen made some bigger bucks, I'm sure Boylan did all right for himself.

Despite the fact that I'm a harsh critic of the post-Meisner Eagles and not a big fan of Joe Walsh; I found the 'Hell Freezes Over' set to be quite an impressive show.
Cool post Herb.

[This message was edited by Jason Odd on 10 June 2002 at 06:17 PM.]

Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2002 5:57 pm    

quote:
Cool post Herb.

Cool post Jason!!! You are unbelievable!! How is the book coming along? I want an autographed copy for sure!!! Larry
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2002 6:13 pm    

Jason Odd is totally amazing. I mean, I was there in the middle of it all, yet Jason knows more about me than I do! Too many nights in a roadhouse, I guess. Too much wine, women, and song... though I don't recall singing all that much, actually.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Jerry Brightman

Ohio
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2002 6:48 pm    

I gota agree with Herb on this one about Jason..

Jason, you are awsome and a real factual and accurate source for sure...and herb, your not so bad yourself

Jerry http://www.slidestation.com
Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2002 7:33 pm    

WOW! What more can be said? The Eagles, and all you great Forumites are IT.

THANKS...ChipsAhoy loves this stuff!!!!!!!!

Jason........WHOA WHOA WHOA
and you, too, Herbie...............>