| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need more material!
Jim West

Post  Posted 13 Jun 2002 5:48 am    

I am looking for more practice material. Everytime I sit down at my Zum S12 I play the same thing over and over which has been OK up 'til now. Do any of you steelers know of a book (or books) which contains runs, licks, fills, chord substitutions, passing chords etc. etc. for the E9 tuning? I would prefer something in the more advanced format.

Thanks!
Todd Pertll

Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2002 6:24 am    

Jim,

I have purchased a lot of learning material for several different instruments over the years, and have discovered that it seems I have learned a lot more by learning and transcribing parts off of CD's. I have purchased several books and videos for steel, but haven't gotten a lot of use out of them. I keep going back to my Buck Owens and Gram Parsons boxed sets. It takes me a long time to figure out the parts, but it gives me a better sense of how to construct licks and link them together. These licks also come out easier when I'm playing a job just because my mind has already heard them in a musical context.
Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2002 8:19 am    

what material do you have already?
Jim West

Post  Posted 13 Jun 2002 8:53 am    

"what material do you have already?"

Nothin'! 'Cept maybe a fews sheets printed off of the Buddy Emmons site. I've been playing off and on for about 10 years. Most everything I have learned to date is from recordings or just making up as I go along. I'm at the point where I want some written material to work on. I've played guitar for many years so taking material from a written format and applying it to existing songs won't be a problem.

I am looking for more chords and progressions and ways to use them, new riffs, runs, turnarounds, New ways to get from a I to a IV chord or a V to a I either using a riff or passing chords. My playing needs more content.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2002 9:24 am    

IMHO....what you've been doing lends itself to "creativity" more than any BOOK can provide you with. Isn't THAT what it's all about?
Glenn Austin

Montreal, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2002 9:29 am    

Hi Jim, May I suggest "Picking Up The Dust" by Al Brisco. He has the album, rythm tracks and tab book available. It's real challenging stuff too. I don't sound anywhere near as good as Al, but I have added considerably to my bag of tricks, using just his Cd and tab book. It's priced right too.
Terry Wendt

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2002 9:36 am    

hmmm... great idea!
Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2002 11:21 am    

Jeff Newman - Just Jammin' - IMHO
JE:-)>
Chet

Adrian,MI USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2002 11:52 am    

Have you looked at Rick and Jeff's real audio clips? There use to be a wealth of info there.
http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html

------------------
Chet Force
Carter D-10
Nashville 1000
Adrian, Michigan

Jim West

Post  Posted 13 Jun 2002 2:07 pm    

Yo Chet

Thanks for the link! Looks like lots of good tab. I printed a few pieces out and now I'll start my woodsheddin'. I also saw some books by Doug Beaumier that look interesting.

I'll start collecting some more material and start adding to my vocabulary. If anyone has anymore reccomendations let me know, I will be much appreciated.

Thanks

[This message was edited by Jim West on 13 June 2002 at 03:14 PM.]

Jim West

Post  Posted 13 Jun 2002 2:12 pm    

"IMHO....what you've been doing lends itself to "creativity" more than any BOOK can provide you with. Isn't THAT what it's all about?"

Ray, that is what it's all about. My problem is that I get in a rut and have a hard time gettin' out. Getting new material in written form is a way to get me "kick started" if you know what I mean. I then meld it into my own style.

Thanks
Scott Howard

Georgetown, TN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2002 2:15 pm    

Jeff Newman woodshed's are a good source for licks and runs.I just got the first twenty that he no longer makes.Most are top ten songs from variuos years.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2002 5:22 pm    

Jim...you need to get out! You've reached one of the many "plateaus" that you will encounter in your playing experience...that time when you have the enthusiasm, but are running short of new ideas and approaches.

IMHO, what you need is not "lessons" from any one or two players (be they videos, CD's or whatever), but the variety that only comes from seeing and interfacing with other nearby players! Get out and see, hear, and talk to the players in your area. They'll give you much more "one-on-one" ideas than you'll get from any one or two pro's, and you'll be building long-term relationships that you can rely on continually. The pro's (by nature of their "job"), usually don't have the time to share an afternoon or an evening with you, but the local players might be more than happy to just get together and jam with you, and share ideas.

I've been to countless steel shows and the like, where you're "overwhelmed" by the sheer number of "big name" players and styles, but I go there for enjoyment and entertainment...not to "learn". When I want to really learn, I sit 6 feet from the same player for a couple hours, and literally pick his brain and learn his technique, licks, sound, and style. And, I let him do the same thing with me.

That's the real learning and sharing experience from my point of view...being a "participant" in making music together, and not just being another "spectator".

My 2cents, anyway.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2002 5:32 pm    

Great suggestions....Donny Hinson....as always!
Jim West

Post  Posted 14 Jun 2002 6:21 am    

Yo Donny

Thanks for the input! I can't argue with what your saying, there is no better learning experience than getting out and playing with other musicians. I have done the one nighter, non rehearsed, haulin equipment, gettin' home in the wee hours, smoke filled bars, mediocre music gigs years ago and at 52 not really into going in that direction.

I do know some other steelers in the area and do get together with them from time to time. I also get together with my pickin' pals every once in awhile for some musical fun. It's tough to find quality minded players who take playing and rehearsing seriously and with all the other day to day things I have going on having my steel setup and ready to play when I am works out good for me. I play for my own gratification but that doesn't mean I don't want to take my playing to the next level. I would just rather play where I'm comfortable.

I have reached that plateau you mentioned and I'm looking to work on the next level, only in the comfort of my home.

You never can tell, if some good players came along I could be persuaded.
Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2002 6:37 am    

Jim,
I thought CA had a law prohibiting smoking in Public Bldgs. Is this not true or not enforced?

I know even here in Mich where we have no such law there are some places with live entertainment where smoking is not permitted.

BTW, I agree with Donny that interaction with other musicians is the best 'slump buster' I can think of. I love working with keyboard players, guitar players, and the occasional horn player. Broadens your horizons beyond your OWN imagination. FWIW.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro