| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Old Picture
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2002 10:17 am    

Rich Rottman, a drummer I've played with for a long time, just blew my mind with this old picture. I think it was taken in 1978, at a New Years Eve party right here in Cloverdale.

Before facial hair! It's a Sho-Bud guitar, with a Bosstone, a Roland phase shifter and the Webb remote reverb control.

Notice the Shure Vocalmaster column in the background. Remember them?

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic) Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6)

[This message was edited by Bobby Lee on 20 May 2002 at 11:18 AM.]

Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 20 May 2002 10:52 am    

WOW! You really WERE young once!
Greg Vincent

Folsom, CA USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2002 11:09 am    

Great pic!
Al Gershen

Grants Pass, OR, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 May 2002 11:10 am    

Hi B0b Lee:

Neat chair!

You can use it in your office also.

------------------
Regards,
Al Gershen
Grants Pass, Oregon. USA
Fender 1000 (1956),
Fender PS 210 (1971) &
Gibson Electraharp EH-820 (1960)
Al's Photos at http://www.alsphotographs.com

Chris DeBarge

Boston, Mass
Post  Posted 20 May 2002 11:22 am    

We used to call them the Shure Vocalsmasher! Although thinking back, I guess they actually worked OK.
Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 20 May 2002 12:03 pm    

At the last Beatles concert @ Dodger Stad., they must have had 50 VocalSmasher's propped up around the infield stage area.
Don't know how it sounded, way too much screaming going on to hear the music!
JE:-)>
Kevin Macneil Brown

Montpelier, VT, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2002 12:30 pm    

Yes indeed. Seeing that PA column gave me a memory rush from my first band circa 1975. I was the lead singer, and had to stand at the side of the stage with my head tilted torward a column just to (barely) hear myself! Had to be careful where my Shure Sergio Franchi model mic was, to avoid feedback.
John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 20 May 2002 1:40 pm    

B0b:

I had that guitar's twin also in 1978! No kidding, I had a blonde Sho~Bud Pro 1 I found in a pawn shop for the incredible price of $275.00, virtually new! Great sound and I learned a lot on that old guitar.

I share the remarks of the others re: the Shure Vocal Master. Interesting their mikes are so good while that sound system was so mediocre. I struggled thru many solo gigs crooning thru a Vocal Master.

How about the phaser--still have that? I love the sound of a phase shifter with steel (Sneaky Pete on Jackson Browne's "Take it Easy"). If you know anyone selling one, lemme know.

--John
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 20 May 2002 1:47 pm    

Nice picture! The chair looks more comfortable than a Pac-a-Seat.

I "Shure" do remember the "Vocalmaster".
I remember the Columns were heavy, the knobs were BIG, built-in Reverb, SIX channels, and we thought it was good!

I don't remember the BOSSTONE, or ever being that young.
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2002 2:26 pm    

The guitar was a 6139 that I bought new in '74. I added 3 pedals and 2 knees to it, so it was 6+3 by the time this picture was taken.

I still have the phaser, but I vastly prefer the phase sound in my Lexicon MPX-100. The Bosstone was trashed long ago in favor of tube amps.

Yeah, the chair swiveled. It was real comfortable, but it was awkward to haul around. I gave up on swivel chairs a few years ago and bought a Steeler's Choice seat.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic) Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6)
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 May 2002 2:38 pm    

At the club where I played for over 10 years, we used that Shure system. We had 4 of the large (almost 6') columns spread around the club, and 2 of the short 3' columns over the stage for monitors. Worked pretty good back in the '60s and early '70s. After that, the columns went out of style, and the "big stuff" got popular. I junked the columns long ago, but still have the old head (with the backlit front panel), sure looked cool back then!
Larry Clark

Herndon, VA.
Post  Posted 20 May 2002 4:15 pm    

I always heard them called "Vocalblasters". Back then if you had a Shure Vocalblaster head and a pair of Altec Voice of the Theatre cabs,you were running "state of the art". How times have changed.
Bill Llewellyn

San Jose, CA
Post  Posted 20 May 2002 6:56 pm    

b0b, are those platform shoes? Ah, the original age of bell bottoms. Purple, to boot. And I also played in a band ('72 - '73) with a Shure Vocalmaster PA. It served us well.

------------------
Bill L | My steel page | Email | My music | Steeler birthdays | Over 50?
Russ Wever

Kansas City
Post  Posted 20 May 2002 6:59 pm    

. . . and might'nt that be a Peterson strobe tuner on it's back with it's cover not yet opened, on the floor just behind the 'Vocaldisaster' column?
~
Doug Seymour

Jamestown NY USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 May 2002 7:15 pm    

I still think the natual finish curly maple
guitars were the prettiest ones ever made!!!
Bigsbys, ShoBuds, whatever....Bobbe can still
remember why I always loved blondes! (w/ blue
eyes!)
Tim Rowley

Pinconning, MI, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2002 7:48 pm    

I remember all this equipment and remember it well. Many of the Vocal Master columns came equipped with Quam speakers which, to say the least, were not known for longevity, power-handling capacity, nor high fidelity.

But hey, before the Vocal Master and the tuck'n'roll Kustoms, many of us up here in the sticks made do with a "public address system" consisting of one or two pair of suitcase baffles and a Bogen amplifier or its equivalent. 10 to 15% THD was normal on these rigs. One old Oral Roberts-type microphone in the center of the stage; feedback was generally the order of the day. Nobody complained much though, but when the "nice" PA systems like the Vocal Master came out, everybody that could afford one bought one. They were the cat's meow, in their time.

Hey, Faron Young's road band used a Vocal Master PA well into the mid-1970's. It did the job just fine for the Young Sheriff. Needless to say they didn't mic the instruments!

Tim R.
Bill Llewellyn

San Jose, CA
Post  Posted 20 May 2002 8:56 pm    

The band I was in with the Vocalmaster was my high school rock combo we called Prism (or was it Prizm?). The lead singer owned the PA, as he did a bunch of other gear in the band. We even used to practice in his dad's furniture store (great acoustics). I remember we pushed that Vocalmaster head so hard the panel backlights would dim on every loud note the vocalist would sing. And they did that dimming thing a lot.