| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ricky Davis - Hello? Hello?
Jim Eller

Kodak, TN (Michigan transplant)
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2002 3:41 pm    

Ricky,

I had some great conversation with Eddy(it's hard to get him to talk Smile" in Grand Rapids, MI over the weekend and he said you have a new guitar coming from north of the border.

What's she gonna be like?

Jim
Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2002 6:51 pm    

Can't hardly wait for this answer!!

------------------
Rebel™
ICQ 614585

http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2002 11:47 pm    

Well Jim(Lookout Graham..ha)It'sa gunna be a beauty. Actually I had a HUGE suprise today in Bloomington,Indiana(Hey big brother; you didn't tell me this...ha)as I'm on a tour right now. But I was standing outside my Hotel and up comes this van and out comes this cheerful man that looked alot like Ed Fulawka....and by goodness.."IT WAS".
He stopped on his way to Nashville to say howdy to me and we were able to meet face to face for the first time......"wow what a pleasure"...
We've of course talked on the phone quite a bit; but finally got to meet....what a joy.
My guitar is going to be the indentical twin brother to my SS HAWAIIAN partner; Archie Cox.
Ed is building us two D-10 Fulawka's that will be the most beautiful "Blue" Birdseye maple I have ever seen; and the folks here will soon see and hear this guitar. Look for it towards the first part of May....as Ed is out on a smallish tour himself...for the different Steel shows going on.
Meeting the Great Ed Fulawka...was a dream come true and when my new Fulawka is delivered to me....that will complete my dreams.
My new copedant for this special Fulawka can be seen here>Rick's Fulawka Copedant
And if you have more questions....ask away....cause other wise I can go on and on for days telling you all about this steel which includes a thousand hand made parts and the mass amount of perfected design features unknown to any other builder...that Ed does that will make this guitar MY DREAM.
Ricky

[This message was edited by Ricky Davis on 09 April 2002 at 12:49 AM.]

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2002 2:26 am    

------------------
Rebel™
ICQ 614585

Greg Vincent

Folsom, CA USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2002 7:42 am    

Howdy Rick!

Wood necks?

-GV
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2002 7:57 am    

Ricky: Once again I've learned something that I never talk about because I thought it was just a personal quirk of mine. I noticed the 3 inch difference between your front legs and rear legs giving the cabinet a tilt towards the player. I first used that on my early Fender 1000 because the necks were so even between each other.

Tilting it gave me a better feel for the front neck with regards to the wrist angle.
It just felt better to me but I was always thinking it was a dumb thing I did and that no one else would do that.

I recall posting another of my personal preferences, that of having an equal number of plain and wound strings. I thought no one else was so foolish but b0b posted that BE does the same thinking. I felt better after that.

I like the new changes on both of your necks !! I'm going to have to explore those more closely.

Regards, Paul
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2002 2:09 pm    

Hey Greg; yes Wood necks....all wood pal.
Actually; I would not want to spoil a perfectly good piece of birdseye maple, by placing something they make Coke Cans out of; on top of it.....just don't make since.
Paul; front legs and pedal rack are one in the same legs. Those measurements were for Ed simply to comfirm the height I like starting with the front of the guitar. But yes I concur about a tilt somewhat towards the player....I personally like to play the guitar flat....but if you are on a forward slanting stage(which some are..ha).you also need the capability to be able to come down on the back legs to make it level again or a least to where ever one like to have his guitar.
Hey Paul; you will love that copedant and changes.....and they are not particularly designed for chord structures; eventhough there are pleanty of chord possibilitys...but there are a bazzilion cool licks and movements I like to do; that that copedant offers moreso than anything I've ever played.
Have fun.
Ricky
Greg Vincent

Folsom, CA USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2002 2:47 pm    

OK Rick you better post some pix of that BAD BOY when it's finished, alright?

Can't wait to see it --and hear it!

-GV

--back to my "kitchen cabinet" & "Coke cans"!
Jim Eller

Kodak, TN (Michigan transplant)
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2002 5:33 pm    

Ricky,

Thanks for the reply.

Eddy's a great guy, builds guitars with pride and is a lot of fun to be around. He has the best jammin' room at the St. Louis show. I and others spend more time in there then in the auditorium. When the stage shuts down, Eddy's room really starts to rock. He supplies all the equipment.

By any chance, will you be in St. Louis this year? I realize it's a little early to tell where you might be.

Keep up the good work on The Forum. You're one of the corner stones.

Jim
JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2002 6:18 pm    

Let me tell you you will LOVE that Fulawka. And Eddie is a Prince. And a real character to boot....

john

------------------
Fulawka D-10 9&5
Mullen Royal Precision D-10 8 & 5
"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"
www.johnbarnold.com/pedalsteel
www.buddycage.net

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2002 6:32 pm    

Jim:
Rumour has it that there will be 2 great pickers in Ed's room this year. One, the fella whose new CD he was selling in Grand Rapids and the other??

------------------
Rebel™
ICQ 614585

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2002 2:35 pm    

All I know is; when and if I go to St. Louis this year(my first time).....I will "Live" in the Fulawka Room; as long as Eddy and Bob Lucier are there.....I already have a ton of stuff I want Bob to show me that he did on his new CD....and I will have my new Fulawka there for anyone wanting to try out my Copedant for theirself.
Greg I will post a ton-o-pics on here when I get it.....heck...I may even make a whole website with pics;soundclips;and bla bla bla...it will be cool man.
Ricky