| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cool CD from Olli Haavasto
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2002 7:34 am    

Olli and I swapped CDs in Dallas, and I'm really glad. This is really one cool recording. It's closer to rock than country, but it can't really be described as rock either. Frankly I'm at a loss to catagotrize it. But whatever it is, it's very good.

Olli, who in addition to being a fine player is also a fine singer, not only played steel, but also did all the vocals, which are sung in Finnish. This CD was apparently aimed at audiences in Finland, where Olli comes from. Of course I couldn't understand the lyrics, but Olli has a fine voice, and from the moment the music starts playing, is obviously a powerful player with a unique style all his own.

I hope this CD is a big success in Finland. Olli is intruducing the steel guitar to people who are probzbly unfamiliar to it, and taking the instrument into new territory.

I wish him the great success he deserves with this, and I suggest that we steel players all support his efforts by buying copies from him.
Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2002 10:34 am    

Hey, Mike, you beat me to the punch. My Finnish friend Kari Laine (he too a fine steel player) sent me a copy of Olli's "Music for Bus Stops" CD, and I enjoy it immensely. A really interesting combination of styles, and fine playing throughout. Not to mention the novelty of hearing "Danger Zone" and "Yellow Roses" sung in Finnish! Do you know if Olli's arranged to have any North American stores such as Elderly Instruments sell the album? This one deserves a wider audience.

[This message was edited by Ian McLatchie on 29 March 2002 at 10:35 AM.]

John Hughey

Hendersonville, Tn. U.S.A., R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2002 9:14 pm    

Speaking of great CDs. Mike Perlowin gave me a finished copy of his new CD "West Side Story", in Dallas. I played it all the way home. Now, if you want to hear some great work and a lot of it, put this CD on and sit down and listen. To really enjoy and appreciate this CD you have to sit down and tune everything out and pay attention to every note being played. It's amazing at the work and talent that went into making this CD.
There is no shuffles or swing on there as most or us are custom to hearing but it is just a fabulous CD and it should be in your collection.
Mike, I wish you all the success in the world. You are a great talent.
Thanks,
John Hughey
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2002 3:28 am    

Thank you John. Coming from you, this means a lot to me.
Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2002 4:19 pm    

Thanks for the nice comments guys!
However,as much as I would like to take the credit for the vocals I have to confess that they were sung by three finnish singers I have recorded and toured with. As favor, they guested on my CD.
The CD may soon be available through the Forum, I will work out the details with BoB when I get home.Thanks again!

------------------
Olli Haavisto
Polar steeler
Finland

[This message was edited by Olli Haavisto on 30 March 2002 at 04:20 PM.]

Mr. Breeze

Oulu, Finland
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2002 4:08 am    

The more I listen to Olli's CD, the more I like it. I especially enjoy Olli's own compositions. I have read some very favourable reviews in the Finnish music magazines.
lakeshrk

Post  Posted 3 Apr 2002 4:39 am    

Along with being a fine player Olli is a verynice guy.He gets a good tone when he plays even on other peoples stuff. ls
Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2002 5:27 am    

I had the pleasure of meeting Olli a couple weeks ago during SXSW, and he is indeed a very nice fellow. I only regret that I did not get to hear him play. I am looking forward to hearing his CD.