| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Which Pedal Setup
thurlon hopper

Elizabethtown Pa. USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2002 7:22 pm    

Just wondered if pedal setups would make much difference for someone whose left foot has become deformed bvy diabetes? Thought it might be my Emmons D-10, PP so i ordered
a new Carter S-10, but still have trouble
with splitting the first three E-9th pedals. I use a Day setup and would like to know if an Emmons setup might be easier to
play. Appreciate any info you can share.

Regards TJHopper
Andy Greatrix

Edmonton Alberta
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2002 8:27 pm    

There's no reason why you can't put the A, B, and C peddles on the right hand side of the guitar and put the volume control on the left side.
I saw this done for a steel player who had his left leg amputated at the knee.

I'm sure there are some steel techs or manifacturers who can do it who post here.
Terry Wendt

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2002 8:43 pm    

Some of the guys have kidded me about my setup since I sold my old ZUM with 8 floors and 10 knees (the same setup though basically) with A and B alone -and C- is actually on an UP-lever. I think it makes tremendous sense to keep your foot in one spot rather than splitting. You can't change without letting go of something if you play the standard A-B-C setup. If you want to discuss this more you can email me direct. Coincidentally, I visited an old fiddlin friend who no longer has his right foot, due to the same diagnosis. I ask God to Bless you and your challenges. Keep playing steel... it heals!

------------------
TheEarlyDays.com

and appearing regularly...
Jimmy Crawford/Russ Hicks... and Buddy Emmons on Bass! aLotOfSpace.com

[This message was edited by Terry Wendt on 06 April 2002 at 09:41 PM.]

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2002 7:09 am    

Hey TJ,
I had an old friend in Los Angeles years ago who was a really hot steel man by the name of "Bookie" Moden. He played his pedals with his right foot and didn't take a back seat to anyone as far as playing went. He had a bunch of health problems and is deceased now but as for as what you want to do, just go for it. Set up your pedals to operate with your right foot and use the volume pedal with the left. I don't know how long you've been playing and if you've been at it for a long while and don't want to try that then do this. If you use the Day setup now your C pedal should be in the 1st pedal position. To experiment just back off the pull which operates your 4th string E to F#. Then you can use the 1st and 2nd pedals in the Emmons way as long as you stay off string 10 as it'll remain at B. You can try it out this way for a while and see how you can get around on this setup before you decide to change.

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney tuning.

[This message was edited by Jerry Hayes on 02 April 2002 at 07:16 AM.]