| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Don West?
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2002 9:48 am    

While going through some old steel guitar correspondence from the 1960's, I was intrigued by Ron Lashley Sr.'s comments that his second favorite steel player, after Big E, was a monster from the mid-Atlantic area named Don West. Apparently, Don could play anything on steel and was also a symphony-quality pianist.

Being a California picker in those days, and then moving to Texas, I'd not heard of the fellow. Can anyone fill me in on where he is now and what is he doing, who he played with, etc.?

Inquiring minds want to know.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Lynn Owsley

Hendersonville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2002 10:22 am    

Don West is in Tuson,Az.
He still plays occasionally.Don worked for many years around the Washington,DC area, much of the time at the world famous Hunters Lodge of Fairfax, Va. This club was on US HWY29 a major route prior to the opening of I66 and it was a regular stop for many Nashville bands who enjoyed good music and fellowship of some fine pickers....the closing time was extended for many who would stop by to jam. Don West was friend and mentor to Buddy Charleton,Sonny Garrish,Rudy Gabriletti and many more who later played in this most remarkable club band.
Legend has it that Don West was helpful to Buddy Emmons in showing him some C6th chords that later became a part of Nightlife(Buddy can explain much better than I,if this is true)
Don spent some time in Nashville in the late 50s and early 60s but Nashville was not his scene.
Next time I hear from him I will tell him of your interest,and encourge him to check out the forum, Im sure he will be pleased...
since writting the above I found news of Don in Our Extended Family section of the forum. His address is printed there and more detail of his career...

[This message was edited by Lynn Owsley on 28 February 2002 at 11:47 AM.]

bill ramsey

danville va
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2002 11:39 am    

i am an old friend of don west's too. from the d.c area. used to hang around don quite a bit. don is in az. and lives near bud issacs, he frequents bud often and bud can get a message to him. great guy and fabulous steel player. the late ray scearce was also involved a lot with don. bill
Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2002 12:13 pm    

I'm not a close friend, but an acquaintance and admirer... I grew up musically in the DC area, and Don was one of THE players. THE chord KING! He would, in E9 accomaniment on a slow piece, for instance fit maybe 6 or 8 chord changes into 4 bars passing from I to IV... mind boggling and beautiful stuff...
Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2002 3:17 pm    

DVA or anybody that has any recordings of Don's playing, I would gladly reimburse or pay for any tapes you would care to share. Thanks...

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

Howard Whittington

Ft. Washington, Md., R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2002 9:26 pm    

Hi Kenny:
I have a tape of a Jam in Md. that Don and Buddy Charleton did some jamming together, as well as some other pickers.
I'll look it up and make a copy for you.
Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2002 8:00 pm    

Hi Howard, Thanks much. I will email you my address.

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...