| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel player w/ Brian Adams(!?) on Leno show 2-27-02 east co
Dave Horch

Frederick, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2002 10:18 pm    

I don't believe what I just saw on the TV. A steel player in (heavy metal rocker) Brian Adam's band live on Leno! I was practicing with the TV on in the background but I just dropped my bar when I heard a steel...

Adams looked and sounded like crap, but the fact that he included a steel player in his band of rockers just floored me.

The steel player (unknown) played a nice green wooden stained MSA (my guess) D10 and wore a leather "top hat" (if that’s any clue to who he was). Very nice mix of “slide guitar” licks and pedal licks, all on the E9 neck. Very nice work.

The song was boring, but the steel player did a GREAT job in this perhaps unusual situation. The sound person actually had the steel mixed well. In fact there was one shot when the camera was over the keyboard players shoulder and you heard the steel, not the keys. “Props” to the sound mixer!

I was watching an east coast feed, so you cats on the west coast might still get a chance to catch it. Adam’s appearance is at the very end of the show.

Anyway, nice work to the steel player. And hats off to Adams (you ugly SOB) for including a steel player in your rock band. Smart move, IMHO.

Best, -Dave

------------------
Mullen (See! No "S") D-10
Photo page

[This message was edited by Dave Horch on 26 February 2002 at 10:40 PM.]

Dave Horch

Frederick, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2002 10:38 pm    

Oopps! The clock flipped over when I wasn't looking...

That would be the 02-26-02 Leno show. NOW (!) for you west coasters....
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2002 11:07 pm    

That's Ryan Adams, formerly of Whiskeytown, a moderately successful "alt country" band of the past few years.
They cut some very country stuff, and Adams penned some real good tunes.

His solo work doesn't do it for me, but you sure see alot of him on the airwaves lately. Apparently Elton John is a big fan, which seems to help.

When Whiskeytown played in Asheville a few years back, Ryan just about hired me on the spot when I told him I played steel!
Dave Horch

Frederick, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2002 11:31 pm    

Thanks Scott! That explains it! RYAN not BRIAN. My mistake. Still; Who was the steel player?, I liked his work in a rock situation.

After seeing the RYAN (not Brian - very Sorry to the real Brian Adams!) Adams guy on TV, I can somehow understand the Elton John interest, if'n ya know what I mean... The cat almost tried to look like a 1970's Elton. Knock yourselves out I guess... But lifestyles aside, the steeler was great.

Best, -Dave
Martin Abend

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2002 1:37 am    

I like Ryan Adams a lot, I think he's great songwriter and an interesting performer. For the things I've heard you can't expect anything on a show by him, but on most cases he won't leave the stage under 2.5 hours.
I guess the steel player is Bucky Baxter. He played on "Gold" and on some other projects with him.

------------------
martin abend Pedal-Steel in Germany
s-10 sierra crown gearless 3 x4 - Regal RD45 - fender hotrod deluxe

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2002 5:40 am    

Whiskeytown's CD 'Stranger's ..... [something...something...I forget the name...] is terriffic. It has Greg Leisz ALL OVER IT with some very tastefull stuff.

Sorry I missed it, but I'm not at all surprised he had a steel player with him.

Good for him!
Martin Abend

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2002 12:11 pm    

I find it kind of astonishing that Ryan Adam is so controversally dicussed even among alt.country/Rock-afficinados. In January/February/March he was on the cover of or featured in nearly every important musicmag in Germany and the UK. Instead being glad that someone who actually can play guitar and writes his own songs gets hyped, he gets dissed by some for everything that once was "acceptible" for rock musicians. Obviously, Mr. Adams is not interested in a slavish reproduction of his records - fine! I had to attend a gig by "Jewel" last week and I was impressed how much work they had to produce the most boring and perfect concert I ever saw...
And James: For a lot of folks over here is it the first contact with a pedal-steel, and I don't believe it will be for the bad.

BTW: It was "Stranger's Almanac".

------------------
martin abend Pedal-Steel in Germany
s-10 sierra crown gearless 3 x4 - Regal RD45 - fender hotrod deluxe

Mark Ardito

Chicago, IL, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2002 12:31 pm    

I have caught Ryan Adams the last 2 times he has been to Chicago. Bucky Baxter http://www.buckybaxter.com has been on all of the tour dates so far. He also played on the "Gold" record. He used to play with Bob Dylan and Steve Earle. His playing isn't the greatest, but he gets the job done and he plays a lot of other instruments so he is a big asset to have him as a member of your tour.

Just my $0.02

Mark

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2002 12:57 pm    

I think he was playing a green Sho-Bud.

Robert

Chicago
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2002 12:08 pm    

Looked like an LDG - a "loafer" Sho-Bud. I'm with Mark Ardito, though, I didn't hear him do anything but the typical ambient drone that you hear a lot of inexperienced PSG players use. I'm not impressed with the idea that anybody would have the steel there at all - it's become very trendy to have it up there. To people who don't know any better, it makes anybody who sits behind one look like some kind of genius multi-instrumentalist - even if they can't play their way out of a paper bag! Sorry to be such a pessimistic-sounding guy, but I love the instrument and the sound of the instrument in the hands of a real player, and most of these "alt-country" guys are either too green or too slack to do it any justice.

Rob Yale
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2002 1:32 pm    

If it WAS Bucky Baxter, he is plenty capable! The song's gotta call for steel.

Bucky's playing on "Shooting Star" from 'Dylan Unplugged' is classic. On a rosewood Emmons. Gorgeous.

[This message was edited by scott murray on 28 February 2002 at 01:43 PM.]

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2002 2:10 pm    

I love Ryan Adams. That was probably Mike Daley. That's who he's used on all his recordings. Not Mike Daley w/ George Straight. Not Mike Daley with Allison Moorer. There is a third Mike Daley. I'm not sure if I'm using the correct spelling (Daley, Daily, Daly). I forget.
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2002 4:03 pm    

It definitely was not Mike Daley. It did look like Bucky Baxter playing. It was a Sho-Bud LDG. Very poor playing to a very poor song arrangement. Quite honestly, I don't think the steel belonged there. Its too good of an instrument for what was being thrown at it.
Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2002 6:10 pm    

Man, I'm really sick of some of the geezers knocking the alt-country crowd, you guys go get right up my nose.

I suppose when the topic starts with confusing a fine songwriter and roots performer (who has cred coming out his ears), with a middle or the road hack like Brian Adams..sheesh..how's it going to get any better.

heavy metal rocker???.....wha??

Not every sttel player wants to pull out the most typical E9th crap when they get on television, or even at a gig ever.
It's called alternative country because it's an alternative to that stuff they market to 35 year-old women, it's not the Texas bar band scene or the Nashville clubs.
Like.. get over it.

Honestly I am totally sick to death of the whole "alt-country" guys are either too green or too slack to do it any justice" schtick.
Bruce Bouton

Nash. Tn USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2002 6:11 pm    

I'm always amazed at how many critics there are on this forum.One minute they're pissed off because there isn't enough steel guitar in other forms of music besides stone country. The next minute the're disgusted because the rockers are starting to dig the instrument and use it on the live shows.I guess you'll never be happy. I'm also disgusted at the way some forumites like to criticize the players that are out doing the gigs. Are you guys pro players? Have you ever been pro players. Bucky Baxter played with Johnny Paycheck and Steve Earl before he played for eight years with Bob Dylan. I've heard Bucky play some incredible steel,some great lap steel and acceptable accordian.
Anyway time and time again I've seen the criticisms against steel players that are in the public eye. I guess it's all fair game.I'd just like to hear some of these steel "experts" ,who seem to take great pleasure in pontificating about what's good and what's bad, put their own playing where their mouth is. I'd gladly listen to a tape of their work and post my honest opinion on this forum.One other observation. Why don't the pro players post more on this forum/
BB
Will Bartell

Medford, Oregon USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2002 8:22 pm    

Well said, Bruce! How are you, by the way? Haven't seen you since 1986 when you and Ray came to the Quality Inn to watch Paul and Brent play. To answer your last question, a lot of the pro players have better things to do than get caught up in the name calling and dissing by the wannabes. I sure miss Buddy's sense of humor, though...
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2002 9:12 pm    

Geoff Cole

Marrara N.T. Australia
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2002 9:18 pm    

I think you've just covered it Bruce.
Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2002 9:58 pm    

What Bruce and Jason said. Let's support the people who are taking the kinds of risks that being a professional musician entails.
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2002 10:32 pm    

No wonder most young singers don't want a steel guitar player around.
Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2002 8:00 am    

I didnt' see the show, so I can't comment on that. I was gonna stay out of this one because I thought it was kinda silly. All I can say is Bucky is a great player who tries to play what the song calls for. Maybe he had a bad night (I doubt it). All I know is I've played on some shows where I hoped and prayed nobody heard it. Sure he can play "country" (whatever that means anymore. Check out Jim Lauderdale's "The Other Sessions" album, Track #7, "Honky Tonk Haze" . This is Bucky playing the some of coolest hardcore stuff on the album, IMHO. Most of my work is in the "alt" world, and to me it's a challenge sometimes to fit the steel into certain contexts. Sometimes I think the reason I keep working is because I am maybe able to do that with some degree of success. There are plenty of guys down here that can smoke me and most everybody else on the planet on straight country gigs, but maybe I can hold my own better on stuff a little off-center. Who knows....WHO CARES? It ain't a contest!
Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2002 9:16 am    

I have been saying the same thing for years on here Bruce.

If you went back and found those who critique pro steel players the most - you will likely find that they are they worst players....happy with their Ray Price records and narrow minds..

I want to see steel guitar is every genre possible.. it is a musical instrument for crying out loud...

Bruce, you will never get any of these critics to send a tape to anyone for review...for obvious reasons...

alt-country is ok with me so is Faron Young, Ernest Tubb, Ricky Skaggs, Gene Watson......etc..

Tired of all of the narrow minded disrespect....that's exactly what it is...not opinion - disrespect.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2002 10:17 am    

I missed the show, bummer, a friend of mine called to tell me about the show, her brother is the guitarist,Brad Rice and I forget to tune in.
I would like to know what song everyone is criticizing. I think 'GOLD' is a great album. Most songs are incredible. He put out three albums last year.

Whiskeytown-Pneumonia
Ryan Adams & The Heartbreakers
Ryan Adams-GOLD

All have done well, have recieved lots of press (People Entertainment Weekly)
There is not alot of steel in the latter two, but I really like Bucky's playing on Gold. I saw Bucky last year with Steve Forbert (Great Show in NYC) and then with Ryan in Austin where he was doing a Rolling Stone/Punk thing, where you couldn't even hear Bucky. The next night I saw Ryan sing at an Alejandro Escovada show and was brilliant.

I think Ryan is a strange, wreckless kinda guy, but he is pumping out tons of great songs, he wants to put out five Cd's this year. I think his stage antics irc alot of people (Checkout letters to the editor in the new No Depression), but then he can shine (Review friom Ausrtalia in the same issue).

I think that most artist's write their best stuff when they are out of contol, I just hope he can survive his badboy ways and keep putting out more great stuff and keep some steel on it.

BTW, he plans to do a CD with himself and Bucky alone.

Check out Bucky's site, he has a great solo disc out too.
www.BuckyBaxter.com

------------------
Regards, Craig

[This message was edited by Craig Stock on 01 March 2002 at 10:18 AM.]

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2002 10:51 am    

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 19 January 2005 at 05:17 AM.]

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2002 12:18 pm    

Jason wrote:
quote:

Man, I'm really sick of some of the geezers knocking the alt-country crowd, you guys go get right up my nose.
Like.. get over it.

Honestly I am totally sick to death of the whole "alt-country" guys are either too green or too slack to do it any justice" schtick.

I agree with you, Jason. Thanks you for condemning these mean-spirited attacks on what is, after all, just a matter of taste. There is a lot of viciousness in this thread. I haven't seen so much ill will since somebody attacked Mutt Lange a few months ago.