| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  To tune to the tape...or not?
Gerald Menke

Stormville NY, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2002 1:51 pm    

Hello all,
This topic has certainly been covered before, but not since I got on board. Last week I had a session which involved playing against a piano loop that had been pitch-shifted somewhere between a quarter and a semi-tone flat. Now I am sure that some of you who have been at it longer than I have been alive probably wouldn't have had much difficulty with this, but I found it to be really tough; I ended up having to tune the steel to the loop, which made the strings feel too slack and the tone was weird. But at least I sounded like I had been playing for more that two days. Do most of you make the adjustments with bar positioning or tune the steel to the track? Thanks for your input!

Gerald
Louie Hallford

denison tx
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2002 2:07 pm    

Gerald,I am suprised that the studio could not tune the recording to your steel,record your steel then move back if there is some reason they wanted to stay with the original recorded pitch.

What am I missing?

[This message was edited by louie hallford on 20 February 2002 at 02:09 PM.]

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2002 2:17 pm    

In a situation like that, if there was no option - although I, too, am surprised they couldn't alter the tape-speed to accommodate you - I'd HAVE to re-tune my guitar.

I wouldn't enjoy it much, though.....

------------------
Roger Rettig
Emmons LGIII(S10/D10)& MCI D10

Gerald Menke

Stormville NY, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2002 2:34 pm    

Sadly there weren't no tape no more. This was a computer session, and the engineer was green and didn't know how to tune the track to 440. So there I was.
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2002 2:36 pm    

I have had to play along a few times and fine tune both open and pedal changes by ear to the tape.
I had them speed it up a little once too (the engineer seemed insulted for some reason???).
If you can get a recording of the tracks in advance you can make yourself a tuning chart at home, saving time in the studio.
You may even have to custom tune differently for each song.
When I listen back to some of the stuff I've played on, which isn't a whole lot, I think "I was having a good tuning day on that one!" or... "I thought I was in tune when we recorded it, but... ouch!".
Maybe some of the Pros will chime in!?!

Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2002 3:32 pm    

I don't think you should use term Engineer If he couldn't get It to 440.

Bob.
Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2002 4:03 pm    

I usually adjust with my bar. I got used to that when I first started playing with various out of tune pianos at churches. Once in a while it would throw me big time, but most didn't notice.
In the studio, they should not expect you to play anything but 440. However, I would have done the best I could varying the pitch with bar placement, and keeping it simple.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2002 6:26 pm    

Well, I've done both (changed my tuning, and "compensated" with the bar). If you don't have to use any opens (a rarity for me) you can also "adjust" your upper body position so you're seeing the frets from a different angle. Kinda cheatin', but it works. Yep...if you can't play "between the lines"...just lean a little!
Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2002 10:58 pm    

Lean a little on the engineer.
Gerald Menke

Stormville NY, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2002 12:29 pm    

Hey all, thanks for the information. Making the adjustment with the bar might work for any "fretted" notes, but God help the man who wants to use any hammer-ons or pull-offs, as I do. For me, tuning down offered more positive than negative side-effects. I tuned back up for the other songs and all was well. Thanks to all.