| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  steel on stage monitoring
Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2002 8:50 am    

I always try to advice the singers when I sit in with bands(on small stages) not to put steel on the singers monitors. Especially with harmonysinging I don't dare to slide then.
So when they need steel, I always turn my amp up, or face it more to the other players.
Share experiences?

------------------

my web-site
my bands CODand TSC

[This message was edited by Johan Jansen on 14 February 2002 at 08:55 AM.]

Heiko Aehle

Bretleben GERMANY
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2002 10:53 am    

Steel Guitar in the monitoring system is a kind of individual taste. We are using an active control equipment on stage where each player can adjust how much he wants to hear.
The complete sound from the band is mixed from a engineer for the hall, so you have two different sounds, the one on stage and the one for the hall. That the singer can hear the end-product what comes out for the audiences he has wireless headphones on one ear. This was for me always the best compromise.
Craig Villalon

Charlottesville Va.
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2002 10:02 pm    

I havent had the good fortune of working with the active monitoring system, which incidentally sounds wonderful but I agree with you that it is really tough to do much to keep it in tune with two or three singers. I have found that not putting the steel through the monitors and not having a singer in front of my amp or turning it away from them seems to work best for all.
Jeff Hyman

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2002 10:20 pm    

I'm in a 4 piece band. I prefer using the mains and monitors for vocals only... with very little snare and kick in the mix. I run my LDG in stereo and have one amp back near the drummers seat and another amp no further forward then the kick. I enjoy being part of the rythum section many moments of the night. All members setting up close together and tight is also preferred... even on a large stage. If a large venue with a sound company is always a bonus... but the specs above are for bars and clubs which is usually what we play.
http://www.HatCreekCountry.com
Jody Cameron

Angleton, TX,, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2002 6:13 am    

Putting steel guitar in the vocalist's monitors is a felony in some places.
Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2002 9:01 am    

I don't like my steel in the monitors because the monitors are always eq'd for vocals and it gives me a false impression of what I sound like. Usually the mids are boosted and that's just what i don't want to hear.

------------------
1985 Emmons push-pull, Session 500, Nashville400, 65 re-issue Fender Twin, Fender Tele

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 15 Feb 2002 9:29 am    

Monitors just add more dB to the usually already high stage volume anyway. In the small clubs and gigs I play, I stay away from steel in the monitor unless I play a big hall with individual mixes. I certainly don't like a monitor on the floor next to me. I have got up during a song and turned them face down on the floor to get my message across to the sound man or band leader. Good topic. I'm interested in others experiences too. Thanks.
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2002 9:04 pm    

We have custom monitor mixes. Anyone on stage can get what they want in their particular monitor.
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2002 4:22 am    

The purpose of monitors to me is so I can hear what the other musicians and the vocalist are doing so I can blend accordingly. I don't need a monitor to hear myself because my amp is behind me on a stand, but if I can only hear myself and the guitar player beside me it's like it's only the two of us on a flat-bed trailor in a parking lot at a super-market opening somewhere. www.genejones.com
Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2002 7:30 am    

I think there is a little misunderstanding, sorry about that
We also have split monitorsystems, best on the market.
But I'm very afraid to play a slide or suspensionchords on 3-vocalharmony-songs when I'm also in THEIR monitor. I think the tonal range of the steel is in their way then...
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2002 9:23 am    

Johan my friend I understand, but I play whatever my experience tells me is appropriate and leave it to the vocalist & the sound-tech to manage the vocal monitors.

If something on stage is negatively affecting me I wouldn't hesitate to micro-manage it with the sound-tech, and I would expect everyone else to do the same. www.genejones.com
John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2002 9:33 am    

Guys, check the "ALWAYS TOO LOUD!" topic in this section--it addresses the very same issues.
--JR
Jeff Coffell

Killeen Texas
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2002 1:06 pm    

Gene

I sure like your attitude. I wish everyone could be as open minded as this. I'm still looking for an answere to the too loud question.
As far as my opinion on this thread, I don't like steel or lead guitar in my vocal monitor but do like a little piano. Never any bass or drums.

JC