| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sonny Garrish Article
Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2002 11:07 pm    

This article appeared in the Gospel Voice magazine in 2000.

In the small town of Williamsport, Md., which is on the Potomac River, a little boy named Bruce was destined to make a mark in the world of music. You don't know him by that name, though. This youngster grew up singing in his dad's band, beginning at age seven. His dad took him to local shows and carnivals, and knowing all the bandleaders, he would get them to ask his son to come up and sing. One night, a bandleader was introducing him but forgot his name, so he just brought him on stage by saying, "Here's little Sonny Garrish to sing for you!" The rest, as they say, was history. Sonny Garrish is one of the most "in demand" steel players in the recording industry today. When he was 13 his dad enrolled him in a steel guitar class. "I didn't like taking the lessons, and after a few months started skipping classes," Sonny reminisced. "My dad found out and told me if I didn't want to take the lessons anymore that I should quit, so I did; however, after listening more to Dad's steel players, I became interested again. So I began practicing and learning on my own. For the next several years, I played locally wherever and whenever I could. Finally, I got the opportunity to play for Bill Anderson and served as his band leader for eight years. After that stretch, I decided to stay home and do studio work full-time." Sonny and wife Lois have two daughters, Tammy and Tera. When he is not in the studio, he spends time drawing and painting, playing tennis and golf, and loves eating desserts! He says, "I realize God has blessed me with a great family, and the ability to make a living at something I love is my very own true success." There's a long list of artists that have Sonny's music on their projects: The Rambos, Happy Goodman Family, Amy Grant, Hinsons, Dino, Carmen, Cathedrals, Kingsmen, Oak Ridge Boys, Jeff & Sherri Easter, Stamps Quartet, Betty Jean Robinson, Gov. Jimmy Davis, Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir, Spencers, Gold City, Bishops, Nelons, Hoppers, Sego Brothers & Naomi, Dallas Holmes, Hemphills, LaVerne Tripp, the Crabb Family, and the prestigious list goes on and on. He likes playing all styles of music, which keeps studio work interesting and fresh. "I left home one morning to work three sessions (all in different studios), and I didn't look at my studio book before I left," shares Sonny. "When I got to my third session, I set my steel up. When we started the third song, one of the two producers came over and after we talked about the intro to the next song he paused with a puzzled look on his face and said, 'Who booked you on this session, Sonny?' to which I replied, 'I don't know, my wife booked the session and I didn't ask her.' Then we found out that I wasn't supposed to be at that studio until the next night, but the situation was so funny because each of the two producers had let me play the first two songs, each thinking the other had booked me for that session; meanwhile, the producer for the session I was supposed to be at was calling my wife wanting to know where I was, and she had no idea and couldn't help him. So, if any of you steel players out there have a slow day, just show up at a studio and act like you're supposed to be there.Who knows," he laughed, "they might let you play."

Rick Johnson

Wheelwright, Ky USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2002 5:21 am    

I admired Sonny's talent for years.
I've played in a lot of gospel groups
over the years and have copied a lot
of his intros and licks. I think it
has helped me be a better player.

------------------
Rick Johnson
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2002 7:27 am    

I have a favorite memory of Sonny. It happened in Peoria,IL on a sunday when he was working with Bill Anderson. It was a package show and they had an afternoon show and one at night. It was the weekend Waylon Jennings lost a bass player and guitarist who died in a icy crash on the way into Peoria.

I was writing things for Fretts/Fender and stayed at the theatre during the break. About an hour before the late show was to start, Sonny came in and tuned up and then began to play the C6th neck doing some of the most creative music I have ever heard.
He did everything !! EVERYTHING !!! I was sitting in the curtains and didn't say a thing; I was too busy listening. He had not touched the C6th during the first show.

Than I think it was Jimmy Gately who was playing lead with him then, came in and said to Sonny: "Get it all worked out ?" Sonny replied: "I guess so !"

I don't recall if I talked to either of them after the show but I have grown to understand what he was doing as the years slipped by me. It makes more sense to me now than it did when it happened in the early 70s. Bobbe had a post about Sonny sometime back and I wanted to say this in that thread but did not want to detract from what Bobbe was saying. There is a whole lot of mutual respect there and no one way street either. If I had a heros list these two would be on the top echelon !!

Regards, Paul

[This message was edited by Paul Graupp on 03 January 2002 at 07:30 AM.]

Frank Estes

Huntsville, AL
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2002 8:11 am    

Sonny is the guy who got me hooked on steel with all that great playing on those Hinson albums. I was into lead guitar at the time and Sonny was responsible for making me listen mainly for steel on records from then on.

One recording in particular is "The Group that God Built and The Songs They Sing" recorded around 1978 may just be the most *perfect* example of how steel can be so effective as the main lead instrument.

I do not recall ever hearing Sonny record anything but great taste and tone.

I have heard that Sonny has not missed a 23 session week in 15 years! WOW!

Hmmm...I wonder why someone that busy does not get nominated for musician of the year.

------------------
Frank Estes

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2002 12:44 pm    

I too have been a fan of Sonny Garrish's contribution to Gospel music for years, but Forumite Gregg Galbraith played guitar with the 'Po Boys and also on lots of the recordings of the groups you mentioned. As Forest Gump would say, Gregg and Sonny go together like Peas and Carrots. One of the great Gospel groups not mentioned is the McGruders, which I doubt would record at all without Sonny and Gregg.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2002 4:33 pm    

Even though Sonny is not a present member of the Forum, I have it on good authority that he does drop in to read some of the posts. I don't believe he realizes just how much of an influence he has had on the steel guitar community. How much trouble would it be to get him in St. Louis this year? Who wouldn't be thrilled to see him live? The man is a steel guitar hero to many of us, and I hope he happens onto this thread so he can see just what he means to so many of us. You're one of the best, Sonny.
Roger
Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2002 10:28 pm    

Jimmy Gately played fiddle. By the way, Gregg Galbraith is the best!

[This message was edited by Reggie Duncan on 03 January 2002 at 10:29 PM.]

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2002 8:05 am    

Reggie; You are right on ! I had a name flip there but I can't for the life of me recall the lead player's name..... I'm thinking it was another Jim because they had a instrumental called Sunny-Gem (SP?) Gem was reporterd to have referred to the lead player, Jim somebody. Do you have any info on that, Please ?? I really should clean my attic out before I post some of these things.

Regards, Paul
Gregg Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn.,USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2002 11:35 am    

Jimmy Lance
Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2002 10:10 pm    

Wasn't there a Bowman on the old TV show? Don maybe? I was a mere child, but this was some show! I think he was a comedian. Had an oversized guitar.