| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Update on Jack Smith
Bill Myrick

Pea Ridge, Ar. (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2001 6:48 pm    

A couple of years ago my wife and I attended a Connie Smith gig in Grove, Ok. and she had Jack playing steel and also doing back up vocals. I met and talked with him briefly after the show and really enjoyed meeting him and he was absolutely great that evening, carrying the show, IMHO. As I recall, he had a store in Nashville that produced and/or sold sound tract tapes for religious singers or something to that effect. Can someone update me on him ? "Thanx"
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2001 6:11 pm    

Hey Bill,
This isn't an update but I'd like to put in my two cents worth about Jack Smith. A few years ago we had Connie Smith for our featured artist at the Virginia Country Music Association's George D. Hay Memorial Banquet and Dance. She had Jack on steel and also Jack Daniels of Highway 101 fame on lead guitar. I was impressed with Mr. Smith as he was so solid and clean. He was playing a double ten Emmons through a Session 400 with no effects at all, just the reberb in the amp. He got such a great tone and really carried the music.

------------------
Have a good 'un! JH U-12

Bill Myrick

Post  Posted 16 Nov 2001 6:29 pm    

Hi Jerry---The same deal at Grove show--no effects, an older D-10 and what really impressed me was the indentification he put into her songs. Shades of Weldon all over the place and for my money, that's what I was hoping to hear. To top it all off, she had hastily put together the small group last minute and they had a lead guitar man that was duly talented but knew nothing about the materials and Jack not only carried the show but added great back up vocals to Connie !!
It was one of the more memorable evenings I have spent. Any other accounts of Jack out there ? I'd love to hear them. Bill Myrick
Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2001 7:55 pm    

I'd like to add my 2 cents worth in about Jack Smith as well. In the fall of 1999, the group that I was playing steel for went to Japan to play the Country Gold Festival. Included was Connie Smith with her band. I spent 4 days talking to and hanging around Jack. He even sat down with me and gave me his bio-which turned out to be 3 hours over breakfest and coffee. I heard him "messin around" at his Emmons during sound check, and he PLAYED his steel!!! He blew me away. He told me that he doesn't play C6, but he was rippin notes and chords off like you would not believe on the C6 neck. He is one nice guy and I still appreciate the time that he spent with me. He was willing to spend the time. I think back on the Nashville steelers often and dream about being one of them in the 60's and 70's. If I had the chance to be any one of them, I would want to have been Jack Smith. He played steel with the gospel group "The Happy Goodmans from 1969-1974, then went on to play with Bill Anderson for the rest of the 1970's. Then on to play steel for a host of other stars durning the 80's, and finally capping it off with Connie Smith. I think of all the gigs and good steel he did with the Happy Goodmans, all the Opry shows he did with Bill Anderson, all the fairs and festivals he did, and back during the time that fairs and festivals were really fun to play. If I had the chance, I would pick to have the career that Jack Smith had. And by the way, in all the recordings and touring he did with the Happy Goodmans, he played a double 10 purple Sho-Bud that Shot called "ole purple". He switched to Emmons when he started with Bill Anderson cause Bill wanted the Garrish sound. Jack Smith is one of my steel guitar heros. I'll always remember and appreciate the time he spent with me those 4 days in Japan. Duane Becker
Bill Myrick

Post  Posted 17 Nov 2001 1:59 pm    

Hi Duane-- Thanks for the input. I am what I percieve to be a fair judge of the public and people in general , having dealt with them and been around some 63 years, and Jack just left such a deep impression on me as the kind of person you'd like to know and be friends with. I mean in addition to his obvious gifted talent, he was just a jewel of a person !! He took an interest in and visited with me for sometime and was as sincere as anyone can be. That was back not long after Weldon parted ways with the "powers that were" if you follow me and I really enjoyed talking with him ; he told it like it was. I wish he was on the forum. Thanx again , anyone else ?? Bill Myrick
Billy Johnson

Nashville, Tn, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2001 3:27 pm    

He is a joy to work with, as I got to play several shows with Connie,with Jack on steel.
His company has a website. tapeanddiscfactory.com
Bill Myrick

Post  Posted 17 Nov 2001 4:23 pm    

Billy---Thanks so much for the web site info. I'll send him a note. As a passing note of interest, he and the bass player were the only two of the four man combo that had worked much with Connie. I don't recall the bass player's name but he had worked lots with her.
Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2001 6:30 pm    

Bill, the bass player that went to Japan with Connie was Rod Ham. I think that I was told that he was the band leader as well. We all went to a jam session and Rod got up and for an hour he sang and played bass to Ray Price shuffles. Jack did not set in but Rod was sure great. Duane Becker
Bill Myrick

Post  Posted 18 Nov 2001 9:20 am    

Duane---Now that you mention it, I seem to recall Jack saying the bass man at the Grove show was the band leader. I bet it was one and the same. I felt sorry for the lead player they picked up for the gig. He was completely unfamiliar with the material and although talented, spent the time reading charts and wiping sweat. It was a great show however and we thouroughly enjoyed it and meeting Jack was icing on the cake.
Gary Dillard

Tuscaloosa, AL
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2001 8:17 am    

As previously mentioned, Jack is doing well in the tape and disk business. It was Jack that lead the way in Southern Gospel music for ALL steel players. He was suberb during his years with the Happy Goodman Family. Because of Jack, I play steel today, and I tell Jack that all the time!! I'm sure he is sick of it. Anyway, The Happy Goodman Family have released a video in the past month, called the "Final Stand". Jack is featured on one insturmental. He STILL has the touch!

Thanks Jack for the influence!

[This message was edited by Gary Dillard on 20 November 2001 at 08:18 AM.]

[This message was edited by Gary Dillard on 20 November 2001 at 08:19 AM.]

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2001 10:38 am    

Gary, does Jack know about the fourm. It would be great if he would come on line some time.
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2001 1:48 pm    

Being a fan of Southern Gospel music, Jack was one of my early influences also. I have an old instrumental record of the Happy Goodman Family Band that Jack played on, and he did a great job. All of their musicians were top notch. This was probably recorded in the early 70's.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording
bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2001 8:50 pm    

Darvin I have that same record in my collection. You are right they had top notch musicians.

Gary did Jack play only on the video? I have the CD and Rabbit Easter is on it. He is also a very good steel player.