| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Emmons Guitars-The Lashley Co.
Jeff Peterson

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2001 5:53 pm    

Ron Lashley Jr. has now taken active control of Emmons Guitars....the guitars that we have all loved and played since '64 are back in a Lashley's loving care. As with any business change, there may be a few(minor) glitches, but, I don't think many will affect us as players. If you have received one of these great guitars in the last 4 or 5 years, it was Ron that built it. My last 2 guitars have been the best I have gotten since Ron Sr. had done the work himself. There should be no lapse in past orders, and no delays in orders taken now.
I have had a very long and close relationship with Emmons, and will continue to think of all there as family. The standards of the guitars themselves will always have me as a customer, but the relationship with the Lashley's will always have me by the heart.
We will keep you posted as to any changes.
My order's in for a Lashley III, D-10, 9+8, walnut, and there's no doubt in my mind it'll be here on time and perfect in every way.........peace....Jeff

[This message was edited by Jeff Peterson on 22 September 2001 at 10:25 AM.]

Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2001 6:27 pm    

I wonder what brand Buddy will be playing now?

bob Carlson.
Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2001 8:59 pm    

Gosh Jeff,We have three brand new ones on the floor that just came in two days ago, guess I can send them back so people can buy them direct from the company.Don't really need dealers anyway. A lot of people love the incentive to wait six or eight months for a new guitar. No one likes to see or play one before they buy it either. No sense in having a dealer warrenty or having a dealer to be a backup between the customer and the manufactuer. I guess I'll open just a regular music store so I can get 100% markup items Instead of 10% steelguitar items. The way things are now I get to make 10% on my $3000.00 investment, if I'm lucky.Wait a min,Then I have to pay salrys,rent,lights, gas, phones,taxes,etc. so people can come by look at the new Emmons guitars so they know what to order direct from the factory! Dealers love trade in's, factorys don't,guess everyone can just throw the old one away or sell it on the forum,there's always E-bay! Yep, I guess this little tiny industry doesn't really need any dealers anyway. Christmas is coming,guess the wives can call the factorys for all the Christmas presents for their husbands.Lets see,there is the T-shirt factorys,The string factorys,The pac-seat factorys,The pick and bar factorys,Then you can call all the seprate publishers to look for learning material,then call all the star players to buy their CD's.Yep, you don't need to buy all this stuff in one place, Just buy it all from the manufacturers.They can charge you a non-negotiable retail price themselves. Guess I've just been greedy all these years trying to make a living doing a service for steel guitar players and their familys.You know, we don't need car dealers either,we'll just order them from the factorys,no grocery stores either, we'll save all that money and buy direct from the farmers! Bobbe

Bobbe

[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 21 September 2001 at 11:42 PM.]

[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 22 September 2001 at 01:17 AM.]

[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 22 September 2001 at 04:18 PM.]

[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 22 September 2001 at 04:59 PM.]

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2001 11:02 pm    

oops
Craig Allen

BEREA, KENTUCKY, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2001 11:36 pm    

Nice goin' Bobbe. I'm on your side.
Mike Cass

Post  Posted 22 Sep 2001 12:12 am    

Well.......
what did you really mean to say Bobbe?
Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 22 Sep 2001 12:19 am    

What I meant to say is : Lets all help each other, stand together,love steel guitar and get others to help us make this instrument as common as all others are! Lets not concentrate on brands,just play and learn to sound good.
This is the real bottom line, and love America!
Bobbe

[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 22 September 2001 at 04:23 PM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2001 2:40 am    

I have a friend that just received his new Legrande III (S-10) last Friday. He had ordered (and paid for) a volume pedal with the guitar. The guitar was delivered without the volume pedal and there was no instruction sheet or booklet on how to tune it (he never had an all pull which tunes different than the old PP's). He called Emmons and was told "I had a volume pedal around here for that about two weeks ago but don't have any now, it will be about two weeks before I have more".

He had been waiting since early summer for the guitar and and everytime he called he was given another reason or date for delivery. I guess not being a road musician makes a difference.

Doesn't sound like someone I would do buisness with.
Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2001 3:55 am    

Whoa, Bobbe, slow down, I can't read that fast...

------------------
My best,
Ernie

The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com
John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2001 4:47 am    

So Bobbe, I take it from your rant that Emmons is changing their policy with regard to dealers and going picker direct only? I'm certainly aware of your position and it should be changed as far as the manufacturers go. I believe it started because of bad dealers not paying their bills to the manufacturers but I'm sure that's not the case with you.
Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 22 Sep 2001 6:38 am    

No John, Emmons guitar co is fine, They love me and will sell me all I want, YES JOHN! there is the need of a policy change here! ( or a business change for me). Can't all you customers understand now how this is a near impossible way to make a living,and yes, my money to live on really comes from my playing and other places. I do steel guitar sales and service because I love steel guitar and the people that love steel guitar.
On a rant John? Sure I am, I feel the people need to know why there arn't but six steel dealers in the U.S.A..I beleive I'm the only exclusive,steel guitar only, full time dealer six days a week. Most other dealers sell other musical merchandise to pay the bills. Scotty has other incomes,Billy and Wanda Cooper sell other musicial product also,Larry Petree sells other than steel products,Yep, it's time for change. I really mean a change that will bring steel guitar up a notch in respectability.The reason music stores don't carry steels is because their is no profit in steels,and manufacturers sell direct.This isn't the way to get steel into every music store so kids can be exposed to them and we can expand our favorite instrument.Can I change the whole system? No, nor do I want to anymore, but I would like to let everyone know what I and WE are up against and why we as steel dealers can't sell steels at discounts that standard guitar dealers can.

[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 22 September 2001 at 08:16 AM.]

[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 22 September 2001 at 04:27 PM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2001 6:40 am    

The reason some like to sell direct is $$$.

If a manufacturer sells at "retail" to consumers instead of "wholesale" to a dealer, Lots more $$$.

Without getting into specifics, in the typical supply chain (and more than just musical items) there can be a "manufacturer's" price, a "distributer's" price, a "wholesale" price and a "list" price.

This is not the case with the small custom built/hand built shops. But the ones that do sell to dealers can make a bigger profit selling direct to consumers.

But, I didn't see anything in this thread to suggest Emmons is going to direct sales only.
Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2001 6:44 am    

Actually, dealers shouldn't have anything
to worry about either way. Most guys I
know usually go thru a dealer for two
reasons. Since the dealer orders alot of steels from manufacturer, they have more leverage if something goes wrong or there's any kind of problem. The dealer also takes
a bit more time checking out the steel
before it gets shipped to the customer to work out any "kinks". Besides, the last dealer I bought a new steel from (years back) is known for at least some kind of discount
off the "direct from the manufacturer" price. That's another incentive.
Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 22 Sep 2001 7:35 am    

You are correct Jack, Emmons is not going direct only, As all of you know I have had a loooooong relationship with this company and I remember when "little Ron" was born,I may be the oldest Emmons dealer in the world as I ordered my first Emmons steel guitar for stock in my fathers music store in Dec. of 1964.This guitar was sold to Lester Edney in Yorktown Va. Now owned by forum member, Kenny Dale. I know the company is still safe.I just feel a policy change is in order in dealing with the dealers and "star" players. I'll keep everyone posted on this subject. AND-----Ron Lashley,good luck I'm here to help and do what I can to continue the legend.
Bobbe--------(the rant guy)
Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 22 Sep 2001 7:37 am    

Jay Gantz,and Jack S. Thanks,you guys understand.
Bobbe
John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2001 7:49 am    

Bobbe, as a former salesman of steels and accessories at a small music store in the early 80's, I'm quite aware of your dilemma. I also realize that today the margin for you dealers really suck. Knowing the past problems with service when dealing with Emmons Co. directly, I would certainly buy thru a dealer if I were in the market for a new one and gladly pay the extra few hundred dollars so that the dealer could run interference for me with the company in case of problems.
By the way, I just reread Jeff's post and I don't see anything where he encourages people to bypass the dealer, it seems he's just making people aware that there's been a management (and I assume ownership) change. I don't like to get in the middle of a friendship squabble between you two guys. Hopefully you can work it out. Your point is well taken though Bobbe about the dealer problem.
Bill Sharpe

Hermitage, TN 37076, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2001 8:08 am    

I've never had any difficulty contacting Bobbe, or him responding knowledgeably and helpfully, but Emmons......now that's a whole 'nother story, the guitars are great, but the after sale service sucks. My wife made two inquiries to the Emmons Co. for a simple black T-Shirt (To match her black '68 D-10 Emmons ) Smiley did come through though, and brought one back from the Texas show

I've made numerous purchases from Bobbe and haven't been disappointed yet, plus we love to "window shop" his store frequently to see the great lineup of guitars and accessories.

------------------
B#

[This message was edited by Bill Sharpe on 22 September 2001 at 01:10 PM.]

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2001 8:17 am    

John, Jeff didn't come right out and say order direct, BUT, when the info is put in front of you it might get you to thinking different. Like, If a guy that works for Bobbe orders direct, why shouldn't I? Bobbe is right in his thinking. I myself would rather go through Bobbe, as he could help me if I had any problems. Here's another thought. Buying anything direct, whether it's a steel guitar or musical gear out of a discount book, always makes me feel a little guilty when it breaks and I have to take it into the local dealer, where I could have bought it to begin with to have it fixed. Just my humble thinking.

------------------
1985 Emmons push-pull, Session 500, Nashville400, 65 re-issue Fender Twin, Fender Tele

Latina

Hermitage, TN
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2001 8:19 am    

As a follow-up to the post by B#, I made both of my inquiries (once by e-mail and once by leaving a message on the answering machine) ONE YEAR ago and still have not received a response. Oh well, gotta love that Smiley tho' -- thanks to him, I finally got my T-shirt

BTW, gotta love Bobbe, too -- a great individual and even better, a terrific friend (Bobbe, kisses and hugs from Toria)

[This message was edited by Latina on 22 September 2001 at 09:20 AM.]

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 22 Sep 2001 8:20 am    

Thank you Bill,You can "window shop all you want!
John, I haven't talked to Jeff yet but sure do hope I'm seeing this wrong as I thnk an awful lot of him, but I do question his steel guitar business sense at times, but he's a great , well meaning person,just can't figure out where his prioritys are at times. Know what I mean?
Bobbe
Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2001 8:43 am    

Bobbe, He is a steel player. Need I say more? You being one know how we think.

------------------
1985 Emmons push-pull, Session 500, Nashville400, 65 re-issue Fender Twin, Fender Tele

kyle reid

Butte,Mt.usa
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2001 8:56 am    

Where is Jeff working now?
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2001 9:12 am    

I was just reading Jeff's response to a topic that Steve Stallings started in the (Pedal Steel) section.This was before I found this thread.The way he came off I was wondering why you hadn't made him head of Public Relations for Steel Guitar Nashville? -------bb
Michael Holland

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2001 9:12 am    

You're right, Bobbe. Endorsing professional players is one thing, but selling direct to anyone is terribly unfair for loyal Emmons dealers like yourself. This policy should be changed. Jeff, you have a professional relationship with Emmons as well as other manufacturers and you should know better. You've done a great disservice to one of the steel guitar communities greatest supporters, Bobbe Seymour. And Bobbe, it was great to see you recently and thanks for always being such a gentleman. You made me feel very welcome.

------------------

Emmons Push Pull S10 | Peavey Session 400 | '52 Fender Lap Steel | Goodrich L120 & Matchbox
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2001 9:37 am    

Bobbe,,,,,what happened to Jim Aycoth?? Is he still the owner of Emmons Guitars????

This may be "premature" but if the mfg in this case Emmons gets little or no support from its existing dealers,,,they go out on their own to sell the product direct ,,if that is the case here,,Im not sure that is what is happening.

I think every specialized product should have "specialized" people selling their product,,as the thread above,,,"we dont have pedals now but will soon," I would rather hear that from the dealer,,,who should be the
company's "go between"

They are not selling a product that just comes out of a box and "away we go" it takes
adjustments etc,,,,,what big companies forget
it is the "Dealer who has to hold the customers Hand",,,,I'll bet Bobbe has held many hands to keep the ship on an even "keel" all these years. I'll bet this all works out,,Ron Jr, is a smart young man,& Im certain once the dust settles it will be okay,,,,

But ya gotta have those people in the field who hold hands...Im glad I never worked for a big company. Bobbe,,,,,you never held my hand....Smiley did,,,,,whats the deal??? Im getting ready to "retire" from active duty,I hope my comments do not upset anyone,,,,seems
I have a "knack of doing so without my knowing I was guilty of such,,,.

"Now Is The Hour When We Must Say Goodbye"
Hold those hands Bobbe,,,,,they need you more than they know, but Iam sure they are aware of this. Selling direct is like a person on trial defending himself w/o an attorney,,,,ya need the mouthpiece to defend
you. Bobbe has both the hands and the mouthpiece,,,,more than likely the steel manufacturers best friend,,,,
Profit??? I didnt think dealers were entitled to that,,,who needs the money,,,its the GLORY....and the "sound of a "black" guitar,,,,the music business is a "non profit
organization" cept for the manufacturers...off my soap box ,,,,