| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bobbe Seymore Goes Gold!
Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2001 9:17 am    

Mind Boggling!!!
I just spent thirty minutes or so reading through Bobbes website. I am stunned to say the least. I had no idea his "Uptown" release had gone gold. That has to be the biggest hit since "Sleepwalk" days. I also was astonished to see that he had played with of all people "Judas Priest" a rock band. His web page shows a gold record given to him for that. The above are astonishing but what totally floors me is his gold record for Rodney Crowells "Diamonds and Dirt". This is hands down, my favorite CD. I had always assumed Paul Franklin did all the steel guitar work and was floored to find out that it apparently was Bobbe. Just goes to show that you can always learn something new Congrats on such an illustrious career Bobbe. (Now will you give me the Ferrari? )

------------------
Steve Stallings
Bremond, Texas
Carter/Emmons/Zum
Evans
Martin D35
Forum Host: The Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum
http://pub55.ezboard.com/btheunofficialmartinguitarforum

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2001 11:55 am    

Thank you Steve, But what do you think I've been doing these last 30 years?
The Diamonds and dirt album I only did one over-dub session on during the mix portion and I don't feel Pauls great contribution to this fine production should be "littled" in any way as he did the major portion by far to make this a fine selling album. The record co. saw fit to make this gold record available to the musicians involved.
If your impressed by this(which I can't understand) You will be very impressed in a couple months when my web-master finishes a complete "discography" of master sessions worked over the last 30 years. Remember, this is what I did for a living for many years. Now, there are MANY other steel players that are totally more deserving of you accolades than myself, Stu Basore,Jim Baker,Sonny Garrish, along with the famous ones that we all seem to be continually think about, Hal, Weldon, Lloyd,Etc.
Steve, I truly feel that any of these players have equally or more to list on their "discogrophy" than do I. When one does this type of thing on a daily basis day in and day out, it doesn't seem like a very big deal after 10 years or so. Another thing to think about is that when I was in my "hayday", we were doing four sessions a day, at least five days a week. The way things are set up now, this is not anywhere near possible.
I worked very hard in the studios for a good ten years solid,then did it as a income supplement to my store and "live" work etc.
I do have a complete history that will be on my new web-site coming up shortly,If anyone cares, and it seems some may.
bobbeseymour.com
Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 16 Sep 2001 12:15 pm    

By the way Steve, " The Happy Steel Guitar" album , on GRT, went gold (100.000$) over five times!It wasn't the playing that did it either, That part was awful! I don't think this album ever got any airplay either, marketing sold this one.
"Uptown" went gold because of a distribution deal we struck between myself, Gold Star Records, and The Oriental Victor company. Now you know where the airplanes and the Ferrarri came from, Not from the steel guitar business! Promotion and distribution is what sells records,not as much talent as one might think!
This business has a lot of facets that arn't realized by most, Did you know it's possible to have a number one record on the charts before it's even relesed? This is an intresting game. Not to be confused with one that makes sense!
Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2001 12:31 pm    

Quote:
I had no idea his "Uptown" release had gone gold

......It's amazing what one can do with a can of gold spray paint!!! Congratulations Bobbe!
Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 16 Sep 2001 12:56 pm    

Yep! Anyone can have a gold record for the price of a can of spray paint,the funny thing is that you'r no richer with the real one than you are with the spray painted one!
Kinda' like the hall of fame,you'r just as rich out of it as you are in it! Sorta' ridiculous huh? You can't eat gold records and you can't live in a hall of fame. All it is,is a abstract commodity to start arguments and create anomosity amoung friends. I'm just waiting to see how long it will be before mine starts! ha ha ha! My "soul" distination is to promote Steel Guitar and share my love of this instrument with others,help others learn, and promote comraderie and love between players and lovers of this instrument. This includes most of us. Thanks Mike and Steve for caring! By the way Steve, You'll love this one,I traded the Ferrari for a Merceds SL (convertable), had it one day and loaned it to Tanya Tucker at the end of a recording session, she was 'sposed to return it the next day, She left the road at well over 100 M.P.H. and cut it in half on a bridge embutment.She spent 6 weeks in the hospital. Took over 3 months to get the insurance money . She does tell about this in her "Life Story" book. Yep, she spelled my name wrong though,(Bobby Seamore) this is why I spell so badly today!

Bobbe

[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 16 September 2001 at 02:09 PM.]

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2001 2:09 pm    

Quote:
Yep! Anyone can have a gold record for the price of a can of spray paint,the funny thing is that you'r no richer with the real one than you are with the spray painted one!

Bobbe's is absolutely correct.

Here's the thing on Gold Albums. If you're a musician on a qualifying recording, you're entitled to a Gold Album. Typically, record co's, publishing co's, management co's, and promotion co's order a bunch of gold records from one of several manufacturers of such, who are licensed by the RIAA to make them. The record/publishing/mgt./etc. companies then distribute the awards to those they feel helped in making the record a success... like program directors/dj's of radio stations, promotion men, pickers, etc. etc., etc. It's a recognition that few behind the scenes in the music biz get, and it will stimulate them to 'get on board' when the artist's next record comes down the pike at them. In the record biz, it's called "schtupping the help."

Back in the 1970's, a friend of mine said I was entitled to a gold record for a Jerry Jeff Walker disc I was on. JJ was gonna give the band each a record but never got around to doing it. So I called up Record Manufacturing Services in Los Angeles and told them I might be eligble for a gold record. The guy asked what recordings I was referring to and I listed 4 Jerry Jeff records, 2 Michael Murphey records, a Linda Ronstadt record, and 2 BW Stevenson records.
He checked his book and said "You got one coming for Viva Terlingua, by Jerry Jeff Walker. Send me $85 and it's on its way to ya."

People would come into my office, look at the award and ask me "wow, what did you do to get that?" And I'd say "send the guy $85."

That was 25 years ago, so I'm sure the price has gone up since then. But I'd urge any Forumites who might be on a gold record (one that sold 500,00 units, I believe), to call RIAA and see if they qualify. Then open your checkbook and you'll probably get a nice conversation piece to hang on the wall. But you'll still have to get up to go to work in the morning.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 16 Sep 2001 4:08 pm    

And Herb, when you get up to go to work,you better work hard,Cuz you might need to have enough money to buy another "award"! Isn't this funny! I wonder if the guys at the olympics have to buy the medals they win? It might just be a "music business" thing. What an oxymoran. "MUSIC BUSINESS". Guess I shouldn't gripe,I've been luckier than some, and not as lucky as others.
Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2001 6:45 pm    

...what others? You're in a league all by yourself when it comes to charisma...and I think you're doing a great job of achieving the goal you set for yourself as you described above...

...I believe you have even won over Mike Weirauch...
Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2001 6:49 pm    

I'm not that picky...I'll take the Mercedes

------------------
Steve Stallings
Bremond, Texas
Carter/Emmons/Zum
Evans
Martin D35
Forum Host: The Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum
http://pub55.ezboard.com/btheunofficialmartinguitarforum

Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2001 7:25 pm    

Quote:
...I believe you have even won over Mike Weirauch...

No Pat, I won HIM over!!!
Franklin

Post  Posted 18 Sep 2001 6:01 am    

Steve,

I made a few phone calls after reading this thread to varify what I had always believed was me playing on this record. Your first assumption turns out to be the correct one.

I have no doubt that Bobbe did an overdub for Rodney. It was confirmed that all the steel parts were from the tracking dates and no overdubs were used.

Sometimes gold records are awarded to everyone including the local buisinesses for their contributions to the overall project.

Paul

[This message was edited by Franklin on 18 September 2001 at 07:29 AM.]

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 18 Sep 2001 7:27 am    

What? They didn't use my part after all that trouble I went through?------Well, --this is the recording business,at least I got one check and the stupid gold record! I think I really enjoyed the check the most. Thanks Paul, see you at the vet's.(by the way, who was it you talked to?)
Bobbe

[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 18 September 2001 at 11:26 AM.]