| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My (un)official convention report
Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2001 10:31 am    

I don't know where to start this year as it was THAT good. As Gaylon Matthews said in another thread, the Lloyd and Tommy set was worth it all even if that was the only show on stage. It's impossible to say that one set was better than the other because they were all great sets. Buddy Charleton had the tone to "die for" with his push/pull and Jimmie Crawford & Russ Hicks were note to note perfect on their set of twin steels. Russ' wife Laney graced the stage for a couple of songs and brought the house down. John Hughey was letter perfect, Hal Rugg was great as was Weldon Myrick, Joe Wright is a superb (not Super B) player AND entertainer. Doug Jernigan, Herbie Wallace, Joe Wright and Tommy White are the fastest pickers I have ever watched! There was as much talent out in the hall playing as there was on stage. The Falawka room was the most popular stop this year as was the Derby room and the Sierra room with David Wright who absolutely had a great set on stage this year.

My biggest delite is always putting faces with names from this forum. Formites are the most friendliest people at the convention as everyone is looking to name a face. It also gives everyone the chance to renew old friendships from previous conventions. I am happy to report that I did not bring a new guitar home this year but that is not saying that I didn't order one. Everyone enjoyed themselves and the show. This was a memorable convention but I'm sure next year will be better.

As for the Tone award, my vote is split between Lloyd Green and Buddy Charleton. Both had tone that would bring a tear to your eye. There were other many others who were so close that it made it hard to call but these two get my vote. I will quit now as I am suffering from alcohol poisoning and must lie down and rest.

One last thought. Gary Steele was there from beginning to end and not once did he have the color purple on or about his person! For those of you who are unaware, Gary is a wonderful person and YES, he does have a sense of humor about purple Zums!

By the way, Zoom was the most played guitar on stage followed closely by Emmons, Mullen, Derby, JCH, Carter and Sho~Bud.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2001 1:21 pm    

Mike, just got home about an hour ago. Nice to meet you again. I didn't get a chance to stop by the booth and really gab.

It was also nice to meet all the friends I've made over the years on the forum and at St Louis.

Lloyd Green with his super picking made up for Buddy not being there this year. Actually, I can't say enough about all the pickers. Gene Fields playing Look at Us on a non pedal steel, etc etc.

I was good this year, I only bought some strings, a T-Shirt and a Billy Phelps Steel Tracks tape.

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2001 6:39 pm    

Mike , who did you get this report from?,when I saw you,you were drunk and passed out and I saw you on three diffrent occations, or maybe it was I saw three of you on one occation,I can't remember.
Most fun I EVER had at a convention! Even met Ole' from Denmark, I think he was near sober,maybe not. We won't talk about Tom Morrell, will we? The Tenn,Tex show should be a wild time as the plan is taking shape well now.
Bobbe
JACK HEERN

MURPHYSBORO,IL. USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2001 6:00 am    

Yeah Mike, like Bobbe said PUBLIC PUKEING isn't cool
Jerry Brightman

Ohio
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2001 6:06 am    

I don't know...Bobbe you used to call me little Jerry and he may have thought he saw at least two of me...Lloyd started calling me Jerry Brightman, Jerry Brightman...I don't think he was stuttering

Jerry

BTW I'm from Ohio...does that mix into Tenn. and Texas anywhere as I know some people from both those states!

[This message was edited by Jerry Brightman on 04 September 2001 at 07:07 AM.]

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2001 7:34 am    

As usual, my convention focused less on seeing performances and more on seeing friends old and new. The Rosettas, the Caldwells, Buzz E., Jerry B., Jimbeaux, Greg and Bob from Canada, Neil, Bobbe, hanging out at Wayne's World, the list goes on and on. We have a wonderful family, some of the closest and dearest friends I've had in life. What sets I caught were due to my working the Texas SGA booth, but there were some doozies, fer sure. I'll only comment on what I heard personally...

Herby Wallace is a master of the art, and his opening set was beautifully constructed. We drink from the same well in our approach to ballads on C6. I might be driving along and get an idea for a standard to play on the back neck, thinking I'm gonna record it, then I go to a steel show and Herby leads off his set with the same tune, announcing it's on his new album. Con Hunley has proved to me he's still the most soulful balladeer in recent memory for me, and he had the women swooning. His great respect for Herby showed during their performance as well. The Herby-man is Hall of Fame material, totally.

Tommy White's performances alone and with Lloyd Green blew my mind. After TW's last ride on "Home in San Antone," I turned to Buzz Evans and said "tell me I didn't hear what I just heard." Buzz had a look on his face like he had just witnessed a murder! TW, in my humble opinion, is the main cat to watch for the future of country steel guitar. I mean to offend no one by omission, but that's my feeling currently about TW.

Bud Charleton was the man with the most pent-up consumer demand at the show. People were so intent on having their minds blown by him that he could have gotten a Standing O for breaking a .011! Of course, he was up to the task and totally wore it out. The list of pro players sitting on the floor in front of the stage with their legs crossed like kids in the 3rd grade would have made a great steel show lineup in itself. BC did not disappoint, the man is simply a beautiful player... it looks like he's lost a bunch of weight and the energy shows in his approach. And the interplay with Bobby Caldwell was worth the 18 hour drive from Texas by itself. He was one of the main reasons I play this instrument in the first place, so perhaps I'm slightly biased in his favor.

World-class Weldon played a magnificent set, but having to follow BC was an unfortunate draw of the cards. Much of the audience was simply worn out from the ecstasy of Charleton-overload, like needing a cigarette after wonderful sex. One day, Big E will want to return to the Convention stage and I pity the fool that will have to follow Buddy at that time.

Lloyd Green again proved to me that he's the supreme melodicist, IMHO the Jerry Byrd of E9. I compare them not in terms of playing style so much as in their philosophy of approaching the instrument and communicating with it. And their ability to say more with one or two notes than guys like me TRY to say with one or two choruses.

Is John Hughey getting better and better all the time, or am I suffering from delusions? I believe the former is correct. I only caught part of his Sunday show but it was killer and surpassed his performance in Tulsa this year which had my jaw dropped so far I had to seek a doctor to have it re-set.

Dr. Kathy (the "missus") will be pleased that for once in my life I have shown restraint with equipment. I come back to Texas with only 5 new CD's (and two were "comps"), and an Emmons ballcap and T-shirt. I did get to hug Susan Strull though!

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

[This message was edited by Herb Steiner on 04 September 2001 at 08:44 AM.]

wayne yakes md

denver, colorado
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2001 3:42 pm    

I think I would have to add in the "Tone Category" Chuck Lettes, particularly when he plays his "Little Ricky" frypan!!