| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1st submission, oye como va . . .
Joel Newman

Smithsburg, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2005 8:54 pm    

Here’s my 1st submission, . . . (go here to get it: Download
sorry I don’t have a website to host this mp3, I’m still learning how post stuff in the forum let me know if anyone has a problem retrieving it).
Basically, to ask if Latin music would work on steel. I think I could get closer, I know I have a lot of work to do in the intonation dept., but steel, in general is still pretty new to me, (guess I’ve been at it for about 6 months), so for my 1st real recorded effort I feel ok about this.

(“Oye Como Va” I think it was written by Mongo Santa Maria, of course us guit. players know and love the Santana version but it’s been covered by a lot of Latin Artists.
I transposed this to C minor and took liberties with the arrangement, I tried to make it as short and sweet as possible.

Here’s the tech stuff;

This was recorded on a 1680 Roland digital workstation, (cool plate reverb sound is the only effect I used)

The Perc./drums I programmed on pc from Acid Loops,(Latin Percussion cd)

The bass is a Fernandez P bass copy (I’m the king of crap guitars), I detuned the E string to C and ran it through a Sans amp GT2 then a mxr dyna comp

The rhythm guitar is a Jay Turser Colonel, again run through the Sans amp, (fender type setting), then the dyna comp, I capo-ed at the 3rd fret to get those open strings

(Alas, no keys as I can’t play keyboards to save my life)

The lap steel is a pre war Rickenbacher B6 with a Jackson pick up, (Narg! I’m a gonna switch that pick up as soon as possible), I tried to use the Sans amp again but the battery died, which was good in a way, as it kept me away from distorting the solo sound which is soooo easy for us guitarists to rely on . . .I did run it through the compressor but I didn’t need to hit it as hard as the bass or the r. guit.
I tune to a stock C6th tuning (Low to High: C,E,G,A,C.E), I use a thumb pick only, and though I just got a Dunlop 920 tone bar I used my Shubb Pearse sp1 which I’m more used to, (I love the heaviness of the Dunlop but I’m slow and extra out of tune with that one)

The vocals . . .oh, who cares . . . LOL

I know this tune is pretty basic harmonically but still presented challenges for me i.e.; forward slants, bends behind the bar, and playing in a minor tonality etc. As usual if anyone has any criticisms, or suggestions, I’m all ears. Everything I know about steel guitar I have learned from all you Steelers in this forum. I have no idea why I’m so passionate about this instrument. I know I’ve got a ways to go, I just want to thank you all for all your previous and future input . . .

Hmmm, see if this link works instead? http://freefilehosting.net/player.cfm?id=9F492BB7-CF1F-D571-A0C4C714C6C7355F

[This message was edited by Joel Newman on 14 March 2005 at 06:22 AM.]

Joel Newman

Post  Posted 14 Mar 2005 6:58 am    

Uhhh, I guess I have a problem streaming from that link but, downloading worked ok (I'm 'molassas' dial up maybe my up load messed up). . .Don't know whats wrong . . Any sugestions?
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2005 7:20 am    

No problems streaming here (ADSL broadband).
Nice energy to your recording, and the sound was good too,- I enjoyed it!

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2005 7:30 am    

Joel, Very Nice! I couldn't stream it either on my ancient system, but the download worked fine. I like the Latin rhythms for steel. Some friends of mine do Smooth and other Santana tunes and they let me solo over these tunes.
Your delivery of OCV sounds great!
Craig Hawks

North Ridgeville, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2005 9:40 am    

Joel,

I really enjoyed the song and had no problems streaming it a work (I'm sure the computer cops will love that I'm doing it at work, but...)

I have a couple of questions. I have never made any recordings like this. Only band type arrangements where we all played at once. So, I'm wondering, what did you record first? I've heard people talking about a Click Track and I assume it something you use to get started, but what exactly is it comprised of? I'd appreciate any information that you'd care to share.

Also, to my ears, your intonation is very nice! I'm pretty new too and I seem to hit everything sharp, you don't seem to have that problem. You sound right on the money to me!

Craig
Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2005 9:47 am    

My girls are dancin' around yellin' ...

Andale ... Andale ...Arriba ... Arriba ... Eh-Hah

------------------

Aiello's House of Gauss

My wife and I don't think alike. She donates money to the homeless and I donate money to the topless! ... R. Dangerfield

[This message was edited by Rick Aiello on 14 March 2005 at 09:47 AM.]

Joel Newman

Post  Posted 14 Mar 2005 12:13 pm    

Tanx gents! Uhh, . .. to answer your question Craig, I don't use a click track I lay the drums down first in ACID Music, a program on the pc,(which is loop based software that you just click/cut/paste/edit/record sound samples in), I use the drums as my 'click'track. If I had a better sound card from my pc I could midi it all and have separate outputs for all the 'acid' parts but as of now I just dump a stereo out put to 2 tracks on my recorder,( being careful to leave at least a bar click count off in front,). Then I layed the bass down, then the R. guit, then the lap . . feel free to e mail me if you want more of a blow by blow description . . .
Thanks again for all the encouragement people. Dare I try to tackle a swing tune next???
Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2005 2:02 pm    

Muy Suave!

------------------
Fender Stringmaster T8, Carter D-10, 54' Fender Champion, two Oahu laps, two National laps, and two Resonators

Mike Ruffin

El Paso, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2005 4:29 pm    

Joel
I really enjoyed that! Keep it up.
Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2005 7:48 pm    

Joel ---
Muy grandissimo!! Excellente!!

[This message was edited by Paul Arntson on 14 March 2005 at 07:49 PM.]

Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2005 9:11 pm    

¡Hijole, Joel! I like your ideas, in fact you've beaten me to something I've been thinking of too, doing Latin on the steel. There's no country music down here but plenty of Latin-type stuff, along with rock, pop, etc. I've been trying pop tunes on the steel and Latin was on the drawing board too. Sounds to me like it works! Good sound, keep up the good work.

[This message was edited by Jim Phelps on 14 March 2005 at 09:11 PM.]

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2005 11:15 pm    

Sounds like you're using a flatpick, no?
Joel Newman

Post  Posted 15 Mar 2005 7:11 am    

No Mike that's a thumb pick, I just made that transition,(was just bare fingers), I used this smallish one with a bridge in gold on it? It's too tight they might have to amputate the tip of my thumb . . .but at least it allows me to double pick single notes . . .lol. I also have a national medium but that one is too big,(keeps sliding around), I'll find the correct size someday . . .thanks for the interest again you all, . . .