| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lost Address book
jay thompson

east peoria, il USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2006 1:19 pm    

After running a recovery on Windows XP Media Center, the address book did not return. When trying to reconstruct each time I try to add a name, a message appears saying that name is already in the address book. Have tried the "WAB" search and a complete file search with no luck. Any suggestions? Regards, Jay Thompson
Bill Bosler

Schwenksville, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2006 5:16 pm    

Jay, I bought a desktop about three weeks ago that came with XP Media Center on it. There's something very weird about that version of XP. The computer gave me all sorts of trouble about loading device drivers and would eventually refuse to even acknowledge that a driver was loaded. I won't mention the name, but the shipping box has big black and white spots on it.
After about a dozen calls to tech support, one of the techs asked if I had a copy of XP Home or Professional. I just happened to have an XP Home (Service Pack 2) CD. He told me to load that instead of Media Center. I did and the computer now runs like a champ. Of course Windows got on line and downloaded about 85 updates because my copy of XP Home was three years old. Before you waste any more time with Media Center, you might consider switching to XP Home or Pro.
Hopefully, you have or can make a CD or DVD with the necessary drivers on it, or demand a copy of XP Home from the manufacturer.
If you don't have your .wab file saved to an external media, I'm afraid you're out of luck with that.

[This message was edited by Bill Bosler on 15 December 2006 at 05:29 PM.]

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2006 8:18 pm    

Jay-I had to do a recovering with Media Edition too, and lost my address book ,. I had 1900 names in it. covering a long period of time. I tried everything *.Wab and search etc, never got it back. I had Xp home before now I got HP Media Center. Supposedly I tranferred everthing over when I changed computers, but not only lost the Address book, but several old recording programs, etc.

Now I can't Email my old friends until they get to email me, then it will go back in my address book. Evan though we need to use them these days, I am begining to not like computers....al

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/
jay thompson

east peoria, il USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2006 9:02 am    

Thanks for the responses. When I receive an email from someone that was in the original book, I try to add the name to an new address book but, I get a window that say the name is already in my address book. It occures to me that the book is somewhere in the files. I did a file search using the directions that Wiz gave to Al in Sept. '06, which gets you to a list of all the *WAB files but I did not recognise any thing similar to "Address Book". Regards,
Jay Thompson

[This message was edited by jay thompson on 16 December 2006 at 09:02 AM.]

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2006 9:11 am    

Outlook uses a .pst file for its data file. Try searching for that.
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2006 10:32 am    

Jay;
Look under all available profiles in C:\Documents and Settings\(profile-name)\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book, for .wab files. As far as I know this applies to Microsoft Outlook Express address book only. If the Application Data folder is not visible you must unhide hidden and system folders, using the instructions found in this thread.

------------------
Bob "Wiz" Feinberg
Moderator of the SGF Computers Forum
Visit my Wiztunes Steel Guitar website at: http://www.wiztunes.com/
or my computer troubleshooting website: Wizcrafts Computer Services,
or my Webmaster Services webpage. Get Firefox Here.
Learn about current computer virus and security threats here.
Read Wiz's Blog for security news and update notices. Learn about using a Limited User account to protect your PC. Read my FAQs.

jay thompson

east peoria, il USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2006 7:13 pm    

Wiz, you advice and direction were right on. Found the Address Book on the sixth try.
Thanks for all the help. Regards, Jay Thompson

[This message was edited by jay thompson on 17 December 2006 at 04:24 AM.]