| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Windows System Error
Jude Reinhardt

Weaverville, NC
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2006 1:16 pm    

"There is an IP Address Conflict with another system on the network". This flag pops up occasionally, I click on it and it goes away. Just what does it mean? I've installed a LINKSYS wireless router so we could get on the internet with a laptop. When we installed the router their was an option to put the security code for the laptop or not. We have no idea what the security code is so opted for the "not". I'm assuming that anyone within range of the pc that the routers connected to can access the internet.
I suppose what I want to know is 1) just what does the error message mean, and 2) should I try to find the security code for the laptop (Dell) and reinstall the software for the router?
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2006 7:28 pm    

Jude;
IP Conflicts occur when two computers are assigned the same IP address. This can occur if you are manually setting IP addresses, or if the router has assigned an IP address to one computer, then you turn it off and connect another one to the router. It may be assigned the same IP, since it is available. When you turn on the first computer it may have kept it's previously assigned IP address temporarily, thus causing the router to have to deal with a conflict. The router sorts it out by eventually reassigning another IP to one or the other.

------------------
Bob "Wiz" Feinberg
Moderator of the SGF Computers Forum
Visit my Wiztunes Steel Guitar website at: http://www.wiztunes.com/
or my computer troubleshooting website: Wizcrafts Computer Services,
or my Webmaster Services webpage. Get Firefox Here.
Learn about current computer virus and security threats here.
Read Wiz's Blog for security news and update notices. My FAQs.

[This message was edited by Wiz Feinberg on 22 October 2006 at 08:28 PM.]

[This message was edited by Wiz Feinberg on 22 October 2006 at 08:31 PM.]

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2006 7:31 pm    

I just reread your post and I see you are using a wireless router. It might be that a neighbor has been assigned an IP address because they are within range of your wireless signal.

You need to secure your wireless router to keep interlopers out.

There are several things you can do to secure a wireless network. First, read the manual. Next, Google for results on securing+wireless+router.

Some things you need to do include turning off SSID broadcasts, change the SSID name, enable encryption (WPA or WPA2), find the MAC addresses of your computers' network adapters and only allow those MAC addresses to connect, turn off the DHCP Server and manually assign IP addresses and sub-nets to each computer, and assign a unique workgroup name to the computers on the local network, on ly allowing other computers in that workgroup to connect.

------------------
Bob "Wiz" Feinberg

[This message was edited by Wiz Feinberg on 22 October 2006 at 08:37 PM.]

Jude Reinhardt

Weaverville, NC
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2006 1:19 am    

Wiz,
Thanks much, I'll re-read the manual that came with the wireless router and do a Google search as you recommemded.

Jude
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2006 8:45 am    

Wireless network security is often overlooked by both the suppliers of the equipment (DSL and Cable companies and retail stores) and by the customers who are unaware of the need for it, or how to institute security measures. I hope that the manufacturers of wireless routers and NICs will start shipping them with installation CDs that walk you through securing your network, with good explanations of the reasons for each step, and the consequences. Quick Start Guides should also be included that walk you through the security procedures.

Until this happens purchasers of wireless equipment will be on their own, or will have to consult with professionals, to secure their networks.

Anybody who uses wireless equipment in a business setting had better learn to secure their network, fast!

There is much information about networking and security at www.practicallynetworked.com

I am going to add a web page about wireless security to my website. I'll provide a link to it in my signature when it is online.

------------------
Bob "Wiz" Feinberg